Sponsored by:

Rear Tailgate window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM
tassmannn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Tailgate window adjustment

I have been having fits with my 96 white (OJ) Bronco. When trying to put the window up or down, it gets real slow in the middle. I replaced the regulator, and greased it very well, but it still does it. I am wondering if the motor is bad or is there a way to adjust the regulator? It has a few bolts that attach to the slide, and I tried loosening them to see if the window would adjust as I raised or lowered it, but no luck...any ideas?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

I can think of three things...grease the groove attached to the bottom of the glass. That is a feel it job as the groove faces rearward. Next would be striker bolt bushings replacement if needed and adjustment of the two striker bolts so the glass does not bind in the top gasket. I think the wrench is a T-40. Finally, I have not done it, the glass channels adjustment on the ends of the tailgate.

Naturally, extreme care is cautioned not to bind this very expensive glass.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Adding onto what b4hntn started, you should look at some sort of all weather wax or grease for the window channels that are on the fiberglass top. You mentioned it gets slow in the middle, does it stay slow to the top or does it speed up after a bit? If the motor was going out it would probably be slow the entire time.

On the window at the bottom is a bar bolted to it. The regulator arms sit inside this bar and slide back and forth pushing the window up or down. If the 96 is the same as 78 you should have something like this: Door window Regulator Roller Each that ride inside that bar. You have to make sure those are in good condition and that the track they ride in is *really well greased* with an all weather grease. The one for my 78 is in bad shape so one regulator arm falls out and the window gets jammed crooked. It's because those square bushings are toast and the regulator arms won't stay pushed in them. Plus I'm not sure what is in that track but it's almost a rubber consistency so that bushing can't move very well.

Sorry about the long post BTW

Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM
tassmannn
Senior User
Thanks for the rapid replies, and I certainly don't mind reading the long posts! When I replaced the regulator, it came with brand new rollers or bushings, and I did grease the channel. One other thing I failed to mention. This is happening when I try to roll it up not in the channel on the top. I have the gate down, and have supported the glass while working on it so it is not the top channels in the topper. I will look at the striker bolts I will try the channel glass adjustment too.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ohhh, have you tried rolling it up when the tailgate is up? With my 78 the window moves really slow when the tailgate is down rolling up or down. Just be careful doing that though, them windows like to blow up pretty easily... I assume you either closed the safety latch or it is disabled if you are able to roll it up and down with the tailgate down.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM
tassmannn
Senior User
@GruesomeJeans

Not yet, but I bypassed the rear switch for now since it is broke, and that is not available from Ford, LMC, NPD, or Bronco Graveyard...guess I will be making a trip to Pick-n-Pull!

What I did is took the tailgate vertical and held it in place while trying to roll the window up or down. Once it passes what it seems to be midway it goes smooth...in either direction. It may be the channel since it was a bit rusty (But I did greese it when I installed the new regulator) that the bushings ride in. I plan on dismantling it this eve and go through the channel with a grinder to clean it out then see how the glass moves without the motor in. I will check the travel before I take it apart so I have a benchmark for the after effect of my hours of menial labor! I have rebuilt engines in less time than I have in this tailgate!

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah these tailgates can be a bit of a PITA, but good luck. I don't really know what else to suggest, I don't know anything about adjusting these windows yet except that it can be confusing...

Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
tassmannn
Senior User
OK....I got it to work! I did everything we discussed, and then cleaned channels, as well as the slide runs for the window. There really wasn't any way to adjust the regulator, but the corner seals were binding on top of it all from shear wear, so I replaced them (about $30.00 bucks for both from LMC). I guess add all of those things together and the drag is just too much for the motor, but it works great now

So...if you are having these problems, first CLEAN everything, and then grease the lift channel as mentioned above. I also put silicone in the slide runs. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Good to know. Mine definitely needs cleaning but I have to wait. I have other projects to work on.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
tassmannn
Senior User
No doubt...you need to budget about 3 good hours to this once you know what to do, and now I can move on to others as well...good luck!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
And good luck to you as well

Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 PM
sunny.richter
Junior User
where can you get the rail for the tail gate window? I cant find it anywhere! Checked LMC already. Whatever insulator they put in there is gone

Old 08-28-2014, 07:38 PM
sunny.richter
Junior User
nevermind, ive been looking for this for a couple days now, just found it