1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

04 E350 Cube Van -- planning buy and turn into a camper

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JWA - thanks and appreciated. I found this electric only one that sure would be easy to wire up.. 300w 12 volt = 20-25 amps or so.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92...FYdxQgodqCQAsw

Not sure what the stock alternator output is in this 6.0. I was looking at them online and looks like it varies from between 110 to 135 amps stock, before whatever the engine consumes which probably isn't a ton? So it'd probably be OK to run? It'd be a bitch to plumb coolant all the way back there, other than when I do the EGT and coolant filter maybe...

95e150CW -- super super helpful info.. Really really appreciated as well.

Looks like I have a day of work in me. The previous work wasn't done by a dealer so no records... Just some wonky receipts. I could call them too. but not seeing it in the receipts and pretty sure its the stock oil cooler and EGR still. So I'll plan to just do them both.... And add the coolant filter as well, and switch to teh better coolant without the silicates.

I need to install a EGT gauge anyway so that will help when i pull all the tubes etc, so that helps too...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Oh yeah the hot coolant-type heaters require a bit of work, not for everyone obviously. I've done it three times so far and pretty much have it down now.

With your stock alternator assuming it has full output that should be enough to power the little electric heater as you're driving along. Naturally the better you insulate the better. If you can find a way to use the one or two inch rigid foam insulation that's said to be the absolute best. Your straight flat walls lend themselves to that use----something to consider maybe.

For now though seems your engine needs the most attention and part of the budget----can't run without a reliable drive train!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a good project!

I'd love to have something like this for those "off road" camping adventures! Places I wouldn't go with my real Class C diesel camper.

Subscribed!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
bc4x4f250
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"... The only real issues is that the way the windows are placed I'll have to put the door on the drivers side, when it should really be on the passenger side to be "normal." But such is life... Super psyched to get this project under way!..."

Looks like a really fun project, BUT... I would seriously reconsider opting for an entry door on the driver's side. As with most any RV in North America, entry is gained via the passenger side (or rear). All conventional campsites are designed for such, as well as most anything related to an RV.

Placing that door on the driver side equals placing it on the ROAD-side. Consider this; you have to stop along a roadway, traffic driving by, and you need to swing a door out to exit/enter. Not the best scenario. I understand that the existing window is the conundrum... but the effort (and cost/time) required will reap major benefits over the life of your rig.

I am jealous... we purchased a Class B recently, but I have always wanted the configuration you obtained (square is much better than rounded corners - especially in tight confines).

Enjoy the work ahead...

Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
burning coolant

So an update...

About 2000 miles on it (about 2500 total since all the head work & gaskets was done by the PO). Changed the oil last night and noticed the coolant was a little lower than before. And now today for the first time I'm noticing a little white smoke from the exhaust pipe, so it's definitely burning coolant somewhere.

Bummer, I'm hoping its just the EGR unit hopefully leaking as it starts / runs / drives great still...

I need to order up all of the items (new cooler, EGR delete, coolant filter, etc) and get to the bottom of where to order / who to order...

Otherwise i have a ton of updates to the actual truck and some photos. I'll post those up in a sec...

Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
now the fun part - photos

BC4x4F250 - i wish putting that door on the passenger side was an option but it just wasn't because of where the old doors were. Here is the fun part, some of the updates. Complete photos here: 2004 Superduty Turbo Diesel E-350 Boxtruck/Van/Camper - Andre Shoumatoff's Photos

cutting into the plastic laminated plywood was easy. Drill and use a sawzall. Hardest part is keeping the sawzall straight and it's completely worth it to built a template for your windows etc to make sure you get the holes right. I had to do some caulking to fill in the holes and its the only not-perfect part of adding the windows so far..

crappy iphone pic of putting in the windows

first snow storm, truck actually does great in the snow with weight!

getting ready for its maiden to Moab for a river trip...

down in moab. Not having a place to mount the spare is a PITA...

Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
Ski Doo actually fits in the van and 450 lbs of sled is killer for getting traction.. Also note the wood flood that I'm going to sand and stain/polyurethane at some point..

These box trucks use dually rear axles but with a single rear wheel hub. Spacing is great and perfectly wide in the rear...

Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
Traction & the ultimate tire size for vans - No 4WD needed

These are the tires I bought which are Cooper Discovery ATRs. I'm sure they've been widely discussed here. These are discontinued right now after a solid 10 years of being on the market, so they are cheap.

Because of the 2" lift I'm planning I was considering something larger than the stock 245 75R 16. These are 235 85 R16 which are the same as 265 75 R16 but 1" narrower. Perfect in my opinion. Better traction in snow and mud, lighter and better mileage. They don't track quite as well as the stock but there are pretty good so far. All 235 85 R16 are also E rated and are fairly inexpensive by truck standards. I got 4 for just over $600 mounted and balanced with tax...

The coopers are now being replaced with the AT3 which is a slightly more agressive tire but it has a longer warranty (55K instead of 50K of these). But they are considerably more, $180 instead of about $130 each. I like these because of the center lug pattern and the siping. They are awesome in snow!

crappy blurry iphone pics

how they fit in the van:

truck had zero issues getting up here to 9500 feet at the top of guardsmans pass. 2" of fresh snow. People were looking at us like we were insane in a 2WD van. Weight + good tires is good..

Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
Interior pics and getting prepped for paint:

seperator wall removed

one more window added for a passenger that will sit behind the driver seat

For paint prep I just washed the walls very well. I should have sanded the walls and primed them first as it took a couple weeks for the paint to become durable and stick a little better. This said its pretty good and looks good. We'll have to see how it holds up...

Here we are cutting in..

waiting for paint to dry..

Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
bed

I fabbed up this frame out of 1x1 tube and these are cheap pine planks from Home Depot. With self tapping screws this was easy...

and it can flip up and forward (designed to use straps to keeping the mattress on it) so I can haul motorcycles as needed.

hard to see from the photo but this support keeps the bed in place when down, and it has holes in it with a cotter pin to keep it locked down.

Bed in the down position

small nick in the paint because it wasn't that durable (yet)

shortly after we had our maiden voyage (still nowhere near done though). It did two small (400-500 mile) road trips already and was great other than I'd like more power and lower RPMs.

Not too many pics of "off roading" but I've already taken it on some ROUGH roads and its been stellar. With good tires it hasn't needed the limited slip yet but I plan on it still. You don't need 4WD in my opinion, just good tires, for anything you would want to take a van on... The ford suspension is awesome...

Parking job to keep it level. These are about 8" tall. Drove right up. I still need to fab up the folding stairs to get in.

happy camper in the morning. This is a 8" latex matress from Ikea. We bought it as return so it was only $200 and normally $400 I think... (we have a $400 mattress in our camper, LOL). Best nights I've slept in a camper, ever..

a couple of our buddies in the van. Rear door getting replaced with a swingout door will be next, though the roll up has advantages too, but is just too noisy and ugly...

Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the update---coming along nicely I think!

Just an idea or two, nothing more than opinion...........

For the floor I'd definitely sand and urethane coat it--just because. Check into horse stall mats for a laid-in only padded covering of sort. Those things are nearly indestructible, cheap (all things considered) and comfy underfoot too.

The roll up door in your case does seem to be useful, initially I was thinking a hinged singe or double swing out door arrangement would be better. If your's is noisy due rattles and such the rollers and maybe hinges too could be renewed. Access is probably greater with the roll up and would save you a bit of work too.

Looking good and glad its working to your plan. This van seems to have been a perfect choice body-wise, now to get all those pesky mechanic issues resolved.

Any decisions about a rear heater yet? Any plans to add awnings or such?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
timfogl
Junior User
Update

Great project you have undertaken. Followed the thread with great interest and was hoping for an update. Maybe you have been out enjoying the spring and work has slowed? Get the feeling from comments on a post I made about a 96 step van I am looking at that the problem is slow going on the open road and major noise from over revving engine(Originally designed for town deliveries and not open road trips). Note you mention that in your last post. Hoping to hear more soon....???

Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
Yeah sorry about that. I actually have tons of updates I just have to get them off my camera and posted. I'm also now having some more 6.0 issues but such is life, truck is still running well. I did the EGR delete, just have to do the oil cooler, the injectors are running a little tough, and I can't get any of the SCT tunes to stick. It misfires / does not run well after the SCT tunes are installed (including custom).

Otherwise, super happy. Wait until you guys see the pics. Put a simple little kitchen in with a sink etc. updated flooring. Etc. It's just great...

Once I get the 6.0 stuff sorted this truck will be great.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Looking forward to the updates!

Also linked this thread to another user who's thinking of something similar---it should be helpful since he's not yet purchased a van, will expand his selection quite a bit I'm sure.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Freshman User
thanks! I've been looking and looking and still no sign of the camera. Sorry about that!

question -- any one able to help me out on what axle I have? Should I pull an axle shaft to see how many splines it is on the '04?
Link to photos and question: SRW E350 rear axle swap - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

thanks!

Quick Reply: 04 E350 Cube Van -- planning buy and turn into a camper