6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Regen and Snow Plowing Nightmare

Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regen and Snow Plowing Nightmare

I had an interesting night during one of the most historic snowstorms the northeast has ever seen. Aside from trying to keep up with my accounts (which was impossible) and not get stuck, I was able to enjoy hour upon hour of the regeneration cycle while plowing. Obviously the cycle wasn't ever able to complete from lack of EGT heat and having to get in and out of the truck often. I am not sure if there was a new software update but my truck billows a white nasty smoke during regens now when it rarely did that when it was new. So here is what I experienced.

--Normally during regen the white smoke would clear while driving quickly. But while plowing a parking lot going back and forth it would continue.

-- I was able to inhale lots and lots of it throughout the night. It as literally making one of my guys in another truck in the same lot sick haha.

-- I had to shut the truck off and let air clear and hope that it wouldn't smoke any more.

Luckily yesterday was the first day the highway was clear enough to drive at a normal speed for a decent amount of time. It completed the cycle and I was back to normal.

I was wondering if anyone else plows with their DPF on and had this experience I was lucky to have? I knew I should have stayed DPF and Cat free

Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
That would be enough to push me into a delete.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UGA33
That would be enough to push me into a delete.
I have the tuner and the delete and had it dpf free for awhile. But I wanted to bring it to the dealer without any hassle and I liked not having the black soot. But man... I was dying. Maybe there is something wrong that I do not know about?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

If they don't complete a regen they get pretty cranky. Drove mine for a month before deleting and it regened a few times like you mentioned. As far as the soot, are you worried about how much the truck is producing while deleted or are you just worried about black tips?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Not so sure anything is wrong..I see 18 wheeler blow a little smoke now too.

I think it was the prediciment you were in.

They make a tool now for manual regens for fleets.

Might be worth buying one so you can regen all your trucks before a storm.

then when it is time to deploy you won't have to worry about the guessing game.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
Not so sure anything is wrong..I see 18 wheeler blow a little smoke now too.

I think it was the prediciment you were in.

They make a tool now for manual regens for fleets.

Might be worth buying one so you can regen all your trucks before a storm.

then when it is time to deploy you won't have to worry about the guessing game.
This wasn't a little smoke. This was clouding out traffic behind me so much that the truck following me backed off. It's white nasty poison and I was inhaling it often. A manual regen would be great but I'm sure that would void warranty too.
Originally Posted by UGA33
As far as the soot, are you worried about how much the truck is producing while deleted or are you just worried about black tips?
When deleted I felt bad when I would hit the throttle and it would billow black smoke haha. And I had to have warranty work done so I put the DPF and cat back on. That white smoke seems much worse in my opinion! I couldn't escape it, going back and forth choking on it. My eyes were burning from lack of sleep and DPF fumes!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I do some fleet work for a company . The bought an F series boom truck . After a few issues Ford did a reflash . So far so good . The truck sits a lot , idle , load controll speed ups , short trips . Regin was not happening . Ford had a reflash for that . Just a thought ...

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I have an active case with Ford dealing with white smoke during regen

Long story short, I was asked to go in a couple weeks ago and they gave me the latest flash. I'm up to the -HCC version wheras I had -HCA from the 11B23 update a couple years ago. Today was my second regen since the reflash. Both times I belched a cloud of smoke when the DPF was about 600F but they cleared up within a minute.

I talked to a regional customer service lady and she sent me a detailed writeup from Ford at my request. It has strong wording about smoke during regen is normal--the wording is much stronger than the TSBs I've seen. Assuming everything is in working order, it also says if the prior regens were not allowed to complete, in their words 'a lot of miles' between the mileage of the last regen complete compared to the last request (when it was cancelled), it'll smoke even more

I offered to log a bunch of PIDs with my AutoEnginuity if it helps the factory debug it, but it appears there no interest in that. I did mention I fear getting a love letter from the State for excessive emissions one of these days. Yeah, it's nasty stuff breathing that stuff. I'll bet it makes up for all the soot it captured and then some

So for now, my case is closed again since the dealer has not been able to duplicate it everytime I'm in there, and I continue to belch smoke during regen.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Here is the tool for you to do the manual regens:
Fleet Tools

Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
Here is the tool for you to do the manual regens:
Fleet Tools

Thanks Senix. I just can't believe fleets are forced to spend $600 per truck just get their trucks to perform normally. I have the Spartan tunes, I think if I run the DPF on tune it will perform the regen even in park. Maybe I'll just do that for now. Could I have a turbo exhaust leak causing more regens? Between the regens and the death wobble that I can't cure I've had enough. Feeling a death wobble on the highway with a 800lbs plow on the front and 800lbs in the bed.... terrifying haha.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
senix
Super Moderator
That tool should work on any truck I beleive. But for one truck it is rather expensive.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Sounds like a PITA.

I remember guys saying these trucks don't like, or aren't supposed to be used for anything but highway driving. Wonder why my truck came with a snow plow prep package ??

You already have the tuner get that thing off.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21

When deleted I felt bad when I would hit the throttle and it would billow black smoke haha. And I had to have warranty work done so I put the DPF and cat back on. That white smoke seems much worse in my opinion! I couldn't escape it, going back and forth choking on it. My eyes were burning from lack of sleep and DPF fumes!
What tuning were you running? When I return my truck to stock power with DPF off tuning I hardly get a haze at wide open throttle. Even up to the 210HP tune, the smoke is non existant when the turbos light.