6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

4wd problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM
ZZERICSC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd problem

Hello all, thank you for your ongoing efforts. This site is a great resource to all.

I'm having a 4wd problem that has me confused:

I have an 04 F-350 superduty, 6.0 crew cab, 4wd and outfitted with a utility body and plow package. I use the 4wd alot for work to get to job sites, plowing and the like and I also tow my boat around and need it on some of the ramps. No "mudding" or "off road" other than whats needed for work.

I typically manually unlock the hubs for travel but not always. I have 140K on the truck and I'm guessing 30K was with locked hubs. I never lubed the originals and replaced them at about 120K.

I have replaced the ball joints on both sides twice and it is time for me to do it again. I have never lubed or changed the fluid in the transfer case.

I had a problem several months back where I heard a clang and the 4wd started to get noisy. First with squeaking/grinding and then with a noise that seemed more like a missing cog on a gear. When the hubs are unlocked it is not as noticeable and oes back to more squeaking and grinding, when it is unlocked and out of 4wd it is not there.

I replaced the relatively new locking hubs but no change and then went for the drive shaft from the transfer case to the differential and again no change. I took the cover off of the front differential and the gears look a bit worn but no metal chunks or filings to speak of.

We recently got a pile of snow and I plowed with it. I have 4wd but the noise is still there and is getting worse. It seems the front axle locks up for a bit, it makes a noise and then it frees up with a steady clank every rotation. Not always there but generally worse on turns.

I would have thought it to be a wheel bearing from the noise & vibration but I'm not sure this would cause the problem. Any suggestions on where to look for a diagnosis or is anyone aware of a thread that might be applicable. I searched around for one but mostly seems like engine issues that are posted, maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for any insights!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front axle u joints?

Try n jack up the front, then lock the hubs and turn the wheel left or right. Then spin the wheel. That should show you the locked up, or partially locked ujoints. They are right behind the wheel.

Also, you have replaced the ball joints twice??? N need another set???? Wtf??? What brand of ball joints are you using? Moog should be your answer.

Also, your axle u joints should be greasable. They were the only zerks on both my trucks. At least I think they were the only ones.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM
ZZERICSC
Junior User
I tried that while I had the cover off of the differential and everything spins fine with no noises. It seems like it needs to be under load to make it happen? Now that it is worse I will try it again though.

I think the ball joints were OEM but cant say for sure. I will try "Moog" if you recommend it.

I'm not sure off hand if the U joints are grease-able, if so I haven't greased them very often.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 on the moog parts and front axle u-joints. I am betting when you take it down to do your ball joints again you will find that your u-joints on the front axle need to be replaced. And since you do a lot of plowing (a lot of stop and go in forward and reverse) it's not a bad idea to check the rear drive line u-joints and center carrier bearing as well.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
ZZERICSC
Junior User
Thanks for all of the help guys. It turns out the CV joint in the front driveshaft was gone. The new/used driveshaft I put in had the same problem as my original but it was not obvious until I drove the truck and really broke it.

Note on the moog ball joints- the passenger side was moog and 1-1/2 years old, just starting to go- The driver side was toast.

I ended up pulling just about everything out & all else looks good. U joints are fine (replaced 1-1/2 years ago both sides), new hub asssemblies (same time).

My calipers were also only 1-1/2 years old but both leaking, I changed them while I was in there. New steering stabilizer too.

Wondering if I should change out the oil in the transfer case & transmission? I used to do it annually with a local shop but haven't done it in 3-4 years since they moved. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!