1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 F-1 on rotisserie at Chi-Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Beautiful truck. Was the passenger side sun visor an option that year?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Other exceptions would be the double tailights (and the fact that they're chrome), the decorative exhaust tip, and I would imagine the red paint in the "FORD" on the hood trim (but I'm not certain about that). And yes, the passenger side sun visor was an option.

Last edited by Doc; 02-13-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: removed an error for clarity
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Other exceptions would be the double tailights (and the fact that they're chrome), the radio antenna, the decorative exhaust tip, and I would imagine the red paint in the "FORD" on the hood trim (but I'm not certain about that). And yes, the passenger side sun visor was an option.
Good eye, Doc, about the chrome tail lights. What is wrong with the antenna?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by abe
Good eye, Doc, about the chrome tail lights. What is wrong with the antenna?
Probably nothing. I misspoke. The base of it just didn't look right to me, but heck, what do I know. I edited that phrase ouf of my post. I'm sure it's period correct. That truck is just simply gorgeous, and I'm a sucker for a black one. Wouldn't you love to know what the selling price for that is?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea when we discuss magnificent trucks like this. It's basically perfect in my eyes, but I enjoy discussing the little things with the hobby. That rear bumper (less the chrome) is considered the correct rear bumper for a 48-50, BUT that bumper was actually not offered until many years later as a replacement bumper for the 48-50's way after the fact (many years after the F-1 was out of production altogether). They just basically theorized that IF Ford had placed a rear bumper on those trucks out of the factory, it would have looked like that. For instance, my truck has a 51-52 ribbed rear bumper that the original owner undoubtedly purchased after he bought the truck, probably in the 1950's. We had a really interesting discussion about this subject about a month ago.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Other exceptions would be the double -------- and I would imagine the red paint in the "FORD" on the hood trim (but I'm not certain about that).
So are we saying the red in the Ford logo is not correct? My '49 has faint shades of blue that appear weathered enough to be original. I just do not remember that much detail. Perhaps sales literature shows?
Sure wish mine were straight enough for black.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by raytasch
So are we saying the red in the Ford logo is not correct? My '49 has faint shades of blue that appear weathered enough to be original. I just do not remember that much detail. Perhaps sales literature shows?
Sure wish mine were straight enough for black.
I'm just assuming there. I've seen that in blue like you mentioned before, but not sure about red. Hey Chuck!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Here's a brief local news video of that truck at the show. It's just simply awesome in my opinion.

1948 Ford Pickup | Video | kare11.com

Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Doc
I'm just assuming there. I've seen that in blue like you mentioned before, but not sure about red. Hey Chuck!
Blue for the FORD on the hood would make sense since the FORD on the hubcaps are blue for 48-52.

And when stockers point out things that are not quite right on trucks we are not picking on that particular truck. We are letting people know for the record that that particular part was not period correct for those that do not know and for future reference.

Why if you are making a beautiful truck like that stock why go with shiny bumpers and shiny wheel covers (or rims or whatever they are)?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 AM
D Sokol
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to revive this thread since I am trying to go "Stock"

The vent window divider frame, should that be black?

Also, I believe the heater is incorrect and they were missing the splash guards in the front wheel wells.

Again, as above I am not complaining but rather trying to learn.

DjS

Old 02-07-2017, 07:22 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by D Sokol
I'm going to revive this thread since I am trying to go "Stock"

The vent window divider frame, should that be black?

Also, I believe the heater is incorrect and they were missing the splash guards in the front wheel wells.

Again, as above I am not complaining but rather trying to learn.

DjS
Window division bar: for 53-56 trucks the division bar was black for standard cabs and bright metal for Deluxe cabs/Custom Cabs, so I would assume the same would be true for 48 to 52 trucks, the standard cabs should have black ones. Note: no one sells reproduction black division bars just the shiny ones, so if you have good black ones hang on to them.

Heater: it doesn't look like a Ford heater. It looks like one of those with three doors on it. First Rider might help you out here.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I agree about the divider bars. Originally were painted black. I still have my originals. My replacements are chrome. I'll tell you something that jumped out at me this time around (4 years later)--Shouldn't that top horizontal hood spear be scooted forward a little to be in line with the lower and the FORD badge?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 AM
stubbfarmer
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a beautiful truck! The inner trim rings were a Ford accessory starting in 1940 I believe. They were one of the things my Dad enjoyed collecting. If I remember correctly Ford went from the large 5 bolt pattern to 5x5.5 between 39 and 40. Seems like that is when they switched to hydraulic brakes also.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Hell, that looks like Doc's truck. Hey Shane, why didn't you stop at the house on the way to Chitown to show your black F1, heck I might have went with you, Garry

JUST like Doc's!

Old 02-07-2017, 03:32 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The chrome vent window frames and stainless divider bar debuted in '51 on the 5-Star Extra cab trucks. The same goes for the stainless windshield trim that truck is wearing. It is a seriously nice truck, but the restorer has forgone true correctness in favor of bling in a few places.

Quick Reply: 48 F-1 on rotisserie at Chi-Auto Show