Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

crazy build windstar on 4x4 frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM
thistle72
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazy build windstar on 4x4 frame

ok so i have an 98 windstar gl that i want to put on a 4x4 frame. I havent decided on 1/2 or 3/4 or 1ton frame. Gas or diesel. But i want to be able to put 35's on it and at least 4inch lift and be able to put a good heavy duty winch bumper on the front and a good tube bumper on the back. I want to build the family mudder and well i have the minivan and kids a wife and a dog so why the hell not. not to mention im tired of the soccermom jokes from friends and coworkers. if anyone has any ideas or helpful tips feel free to let me know and as soon as i start the mudstar project ill be sure to post pictures of the whole build start to finish.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like a cool project. Don't tell anyone but I kind of dig the looks of that age Windstar! I always thought they kind of had an angry look to the front.

You are going to have to do a lot of measuring and searching so you can find a suitable donor truck for the chassis. You are going to have to find out your Windstar's wheelbase and track width.

And once you do decide on a chassis it's going to take some creative fabrication to mount your unibody van to a 4x4 frame/chassis.

Do you plan for this to be a dual purpose vehicle( on & off road ) ? Or just an off road toy? If you want to use it on the street you will have to check your local laws to make sure this kind of build will be legal.

How hard to you plan to beat on it? 35" tires are going to put you at the limit of most stock 1/2 ton diffs/axles if you really plan to thrash on it.

If you really want to beat on it and have some fun you might want to go with a 86-91 F350 4x4 for a donor chassis. That will give you 10.25" sterling rear diff, Dana 60 front diff and tough leaf spring suspension all they way around. The problem with this chassis is you'll have to shorten it to match your Windstar's wheelbase. And the diff's width are going to be wider then your van body. So not a really good situation if you want to use it on the street.

Whatever you decide to do, post it! And post lots of pictures!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 AM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
thistle72
New User
ok heres the skinny on what im calling the "Mudstar" soccer dad with attitude. So i would like this to be dual purpose as in run the kids to school games etc. but on the weekends hit the local mudhole and be able to play with the boys. As for the law around here local its pretty much dont get stupid and be mellow and respect other drivers they will do the same. small town in the woods but as for the staters....... lets just say i will be making damn sure i have my bumpers at the legal height and mud flaps and fender flares.
wheelbase is 120.7 overlength 201.2 width 75.4 so there's what i'm working with. wife says do whatever but no diesel period. so i have decided diesel is it, ya just kidding would like to live to see build done. you know how it is with the wife if wife aint happy move to mexico and forget to tell her where you went. no my wife is great after all she is letting me take a damn nice windstar with no problems in near perfect condition inside and out and mechanically sound and tear it a part and build a toy. ya i think this is called a mid life crisis in progress.
so i really want this to run a 302EFI as i have had three 83 to 85 f150's and they all ran them and where strong as an ox and got really good gas mileage. that and ive always liked the 302. im thinking a c6 tranny as the vans an auto and i want to keep it that way, besides i can always change it later if need be. i like the idea of 3/4 running gear for the strength and if needed i can always shorten them to fit the width i need.
so there you go the basic run down on project mudstar.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM
thistle72
New User
so a buddy stopped by little bit ago in his truck he just picked up, a 97 f150 shortbox 4x4. so i went out to look at it and saw a really nice truck parked next to my windstar and damn if it didnt look like the same wheelbase. so after looking for about five minutes and then pulling out the tape measure it looked like there was the frame i need. so we when back in the house and jump on the net and found that his wheelbase is 120.2 and my wheelbase is 120.7. so i think i found the frame im going to use. i asked if he wanted to donate his truck to project mudstar and he looked at me funny and finished his coffee and said he had to go while his truck was still in one piece and happily married. im not sure but i do believe that was a no. so i asked my 6yr old son what he thought and with a straight face dead serious and said dad i dont think we are ever going to see uncle troy again, did you see the rubber he left getting out of here not to mention he looked pretty scared dad just wait intel mom hears about this, and then went and got ready for school. im thinking he might be right and the worst part is i really like troy even if he is my brother in law. oops. well back to the drawing board.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
The 97+ trucks weren't available with the 302. They came with the 4.6L or 5.4L OHC mod motors. They also had IFS and a weird metric bolt pattern on the wheels.

If you plan to run fender flares don't forget about the sliding doors. Rear flares might not allow the sliders to open.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
thistle72
New User
well i am looking for just the frame as my buddy/brother in law just called to tell me he found a 1983 f250 4x4 that has been rolled the body is junk but it still runs good and it has a 302 and an automatic. he said the guy is asking $500. for it. so im calling him tonight about it. im got a call into a friend of mine that works at a salvage yard to watch for a 97 f150 shortbox with a good frame. i figure between the two trucks i can build my chassis and get it all ready then tear down the windstar at that time and make my body mounts and notch the firewall for the engine and cut a tranny tunnel. im figure ill have it up and on the road by this time next year. well hoping anyways. heres to midlife crisis and entering a second childhood.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
thistle72
New User
well the windstar project hit wall, or rather a tree. wife was taking kids to school and hit ice and lost control and slammed into a tree sideways and well in short everyone is fine but mini van is now on uts wat to becoming a beer can. how ever my wife found a 85 f250 ex cab 4x4 with a 6.9 and 4 speed auto. going to look at it tonight so may end up with a coal burner. i havent seen it yet but wife said its right up my alley so with any luck ill end up back in a truck and can go muddung again soon.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by thistle72
well the windstar project hit wall, or rather a tree. wife was taking kids to school and hit ice and lost control and slammed into a tree sideways and well in short everyone is fine but mini van is now on uts wat to becoming a beer can. how ever my wife found a 85 f250 ex cab 4x4 with a 6.9 and 4 speed auto. going to look at it tonight so may end up with a coal burner. i havent seen it yet but wife said its right up my alley so with any luck ill end up back in a truck and can go muddung again soon.
Glad to hear everyone is ok. You know Finding a non running or non drivable Windstar for cheap isn't too hard in my area ( Not sure about your area ) . If you did want to build a 4wd one.

The 85 F250 is a great truck. But it won't be a 4spd automatic. The diesel automatic in 85 is a C6 3spd. So if it's a 4spd it's a 4spd manual transmission ( most likely T-19 ) .

Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 PM
thistle72
New User
ya i looked at it last night and it is a 4 speed manual it has the 6.9 non turbo it is a f250 4x4 excab body is fair no rust just well worked in 28yrs. it has water in the oil and the guy thinks its a bad head gasket. but he only wants 700.00 for it and it has a 3inch body lift nice rims and tires on it. im thinking its a good deal but i was wondering if i could drop the 7.3 turbo right into it or is there a lot of work involved. so i just got off the phone with the guy and he said i can have the truck for 600. plus he will load it up on his trailer and deliever it to me at no extra charge so i bought a truck. im part of the coal burners club. i hope just i didnt just screw myself on this truck.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by thistle72
ya i looked at it last night and it is a 4 speed manual it has the 6.9 non turbo it is a f250 4x4 excab body is fair no rust just well worked in 28yrs. it has water in the oil and the guy thinks its a bad head gasket. but he only wants 700.00 for it and it has a 3inch body lift nice rims and tires on it. im thinking its a good deal but i was wondering if i could drop the 7.3 turbo right into it or is there a lot of work involved. so i just got off the phone with the guy and he said i can have the truck for 600. plus he will load it up on his trailer and deliever it to me at no extra charge so i bought a truck. im part of the coal burners club. i hope just i didnt just screw myself on this truck.

Welcome to the club.

That could be something as simple as bad O-rings in the oil cooler. I'd replace those before you do head gaskets. It's not a fun job but it's a hell of lot easier/cheaper then the head gaskets.