Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

Scroungers Special, 1968 Ford

Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Rebstew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroungers Special, 1968 Ford

I wasn't looking for a project but couldn't pass this one up. I was at Advance Auto talking to the girl that handles our commercial account for the car club and the phone rings. She starts talking and I find out it's am old friend. I grabbed the phone to just say hello. While talking I tell him I seen the old 67 Ford truck he had a while back on Craigs List. He said are you looking for an old Ford like that? Joking I said yea, there is a sucker every minute looking for an old Ford. He goes on to tell me that he knows where one is in a barn down by Thorn Hill Drag Strip.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Rebstew
New User
The guy that works for him, Bill owns it. 55343 original miles on the truck! One thing leads to another and I find myself awake at 5:30 in morning not sleeping. At 7:00 I get in the shower and take a drive to Covington, Ky to pick Bill up so he can show me this truck.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Rebstew
New User
It took a while but we made it to where the truck was. By the way Bill was talking he really didn't want to let the truck go. He told me he got it because everyone had old cars and he wanted one. He had it since 2009 but never drove it. EVER!

Bill didn't look too happy to let it go but the Billy Goat seemed very happy.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Rebstew
New User
The Goat was next to the truck. Tell me that goat isn't smiling!

The truck is hit in the front and buckled the fender. Easy fix. The rest is a few rust holes. Not bad at all.

From front to back, in it and on top of it is junk. The pics were taken after most of it was removed.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Rebstew
New User
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Rebstew
New User
I ask if it run and stops? He says yea. How many miles have you driven it? None! None? How did it get here. It was towed it.
Come to find out this truck is local to me and I knew the owner of the truck. Kirk Lombardo's old truck. Before Bill got it Kirk left it sitting in his driveway for YEARS!!! I started to think this was going to be a nightmare. The truck hasn't been on the road in 20 years I don't think.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Rebstew
New User
Bill goes on to tell me that he got it & went through everything. Brakes, all new lines, fuel pump, new carb and radiator. New clutch, pressure plate and throw out. Ditched the dry rotten tires and cleaned and painted the rims before mounting new rubber. All the lights. Only thing that doesn't work is the gas gauge. Dome light works even the reverse lights work. He pulls some junk out of the seat and starts cranking it. 4 or 5 cranks and it starts right up! You can't hear it run! No knocks, ticks or smoke!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Rebstew
New User
He built the truck to get out and hang out with some of the guys but just never did it. It just sat there in the barn.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Rebstew
New User
He told me we could not get it out of the barn due to all the mud. I told him I'd take it but I wanted it today! He said are you going to get someone to tow it?

Anyone that knows me knows how I feel about tow trucks. If it's what he says I'll drive it or leave it sitting on the side of the road.

He backs it in the barn and then gets a run at the muddy yard. It makes it through fine! We head to Alexandria, Ky to my insurance company. I get insurance on it and get the title fixed while I'm there.
I head back to Covington, Ky to drop Bill off and back home for an hour nap. Get up and drive back to the truck to get the tags off the truck so I can get historical tags for it. I had to turn the old tags in. Drive to the court house in Alexandria, Ky to get it transfered. Then back home to get my wife. I'm sick of driving by this time! My wife, the kids and I then head back to the truck. I grab gallon and 1/2 of gas for the truck in a small gas can.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Rebstew
New User
The Truck was in Morning View, Ky. Down by the old track. I remember when you could read this sign perfectly. What time will do. This is the drag strip I raced at when I was a kid.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Rebstew
New User
We made it to the truck. I wasn't sure if this thing would make it back to Newport, Ky or not. I put the gallon and half of gas in it and started off. To think this was the first time in many years it's seen a road under it's own power was a little scary.

And away we go!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Rebstew
New User
Not knowing how much gas was in the tank I didn't want to take any chance. I hopped over the river from Kenton into Campbell County in hopes of hitting a gas station sooner.
I didn't make it!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Rebstew
New User
The truck was running great! Steering was tight, Brakes stops on a dime. I kicked it up a notch and wanted to see what the old truck would do in the corners. Not a Vette by any means but did good for an old Ford. It felt tight!

Then the sound of a chugging engine and no place to pull off! The truck was going up hill so I couldn't coast. I whipped it from side to side getting a little gas in the hose enough to make it into a parking lot. I come flying in with the truck dead. A guy was standing there watching me. I get out of the truck and the guy looks puzzled. I told him I ran out of gas can I leave the truck here for minute?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Rebstew
New User
I jump in the car and we go get some gas.

We take off again. We make it less than an 1/8 mile and the truck start stumbling. It gets worse. Then dies! Break down number 2!

I beat around on the fuel line, carb and messed with a few things. I got it started but was running bad. I get it moving again and take off. I get to a 4 lane 4 way stop and the truck dies in the middle of the road with no place to go. Break down number 3. I get out and start screwing with stuff again. I knew what it was by now. I ran out of gas and sucked some rust from the gas tank into the carb. I get it running enough to roll away maybe 400 feet. It dies but now I'm rolling. I cut a car off to hit the Advance Auto Parts parking lot. I made it just in the drive and that it. I'm stuck. Number 4. I like to never got it to start. I dumped a bunch of gas in it. Enough to cause it to back fire. It blew the crap out of the carb and it started right up.

I pulled into a parking spot and let it run.It seemed fine. I went in the store and bought some gas line, clamps and a electric fuel pump. I figured I'd shove it into the can of gas if I had any more trouble.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Rebstew
New User

After I got out of the store the truck seemed fine. I ran the back roads all the way home in case it stopped again. It seemed like it ran better than it did before. Plenty of power for a 6 banger. I stopped at the gas station and put in some gas. Then on home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scroungers Special, 1968 Ford