6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Searched and searched... TIRE question...

Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 AM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Searched and searched... TIRE question...

Approaching that time, for new sneakers on the truck...

Searched all over the boards, can't really find a comprehensive tire thread with opinions and thoughts from everyone.

So, with the 690 different tires that show up when I search TireRack.com for my Yr/Mk/Mdl, what are your all's thoughts on particular tires that work very well for the F250?

For reference:

- I occasionally tow ~8000#, but only a few times a year.
- I do not haul much at all, maybe some rock if I get the landscaping bug.
- I do not need large tread as I don't go off road much, and we don't get much snow/ice around here.
- I have been pleased with Yoko's on my other vehicles.
- I have the stock 2005 KR wheels.

Thanks!

Matt

EDIT:

These seem affordable and has a decent user review... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tnum=275R6RTTA

Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM
jebner
Freshman User
I recently purchased the BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's. They so far are a decent tire. Plus they are fairly priced. IMHO

Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally I have never cared much for the BFG's, the ones I had were the TA/KO's and they wore out fast, I ran 3 new sets before I changed my thinking and went with a different tire manufacturer. Now I run either Michelins or Coopers. And made in America always influences my purchasing decision.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
My first set of tires were BFG Rugged Trail TA's original equipment on my truck which has 16" wheels. They lasted 60K. They were not good in the rain and on slick roads, a quick stop was dicey.

I replaced them at 60K with Michelin LTX A/T2 tires. They now have 25K on them and the tread is 13/32" all around. They do have a few superficial small cracks on the sidewalls but other than that, they look perfect. They are suitable for light off road travel and they do as well as any tire their size on the beach. I would recommend them although they may be a little pricey.

When I replaced them, I had the wheels aligned. We then went on a 600 mile trip pulling the 10K lb. trailer. They didn't seem to track well on the road. I then replaced the shock absorbers and that seemed to help. I then replaced the steering damper which was leaking a tad and that helped. I now had about 800 miles on the tires and they were now worn in and since then the ride and steering have never been better. The trick in figuring out what you need to replace next is to do one thing at a time.

I've been buying tires for 50 years and my belief is either buy Michelin's or buy a house brand that is made by Cooper. Unless you need a special purpose tire, all those tires that are between Cooper's and Michlein's are not significantly better than the Cooper's and not worth the additional costs. However, I believe the Michlein's are.

B. F. Goodrich was bought by Michelin after by original tires were made and I have heard there has been some good technology transfer and the BRG's are better now, especially in stopping in the wet.

Just one man's opinion.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Texas Bob
Tuned
One more thought - do get the load range E tires.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Depends a lot on your location and the weather you drive in. Your weight descriptions mean you still need the E rated tires. I am currently running yoko geolanders. They are d rated but have a 50,000 mile prorated replacement so I thought I would try them. Good first winter, not so good second winter, little squirmy with the truck loaded and trailer. Last set BFG AT KO, excellent first winter, good second winter, great towing, replaced in 50,000 KM, so only made it 35,000 miles. My next set will be good year duratracs I think. Going to try and afford one more size up, 295/70 by 18, as I am running 285 now. I am in Canada so I will pay likely close to 400 a tire. For your use, I have seen others praise Nitto tires and Toyo tires as well. They seem to last but they are not a great winter tire, not enough siping in the treads.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold BFG and Michelin for about 6 yrs..

BFG was the cats meow in tires at the time this is late 80's to mid 90's. Michelin was the cats meow in the European market. Michelin wanted a share in the everyday tire market and off road truck market that BFG had.

When Michelin bought BFG they transferred their European touring tire technology into a BFG tire known as the Euro line. Over a 5-10 year period they phased out the BFG raised white letter tire and replaced them with the Michelin name and hybrid carcass. BFG had the best tire carcass of all tire manufactures!

The BFG tires on average outlasted the competition in any type of use. I had a set of the raised white letters last 70k on 2 different cars. I had a set of BFG rugged trails go 80k on my Suburban I just sold.

The biggest thing to remember with the tires on your X is to get the E load rating! The cost will be more but that rating is what came with the truck when new!

If you are looking at price point then get what fits in your budget. If you have a specific brand you like....spend the $ and get it!

I am a BFG and Michelin man after changing tires as a 19 yr old in a BP procare. Folks would have 25k on the Good Years that came on the car and would come in and buy a new set due to the ride quality and wear issues. At that time Good Year was having quality issues at just about all of it plants.

I have had 2 set of Cooper's and hated them! 1 Set of Good Years and immediately took them off! I run Michelins on my Dodge Magnum SXT original tires where Continental that lasted 40k. When it is time for tires on the X I will be putting BFG something or other on it.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
SOB Racing
Senior User
baja dosnt lie go with a proven champion tire BFG. Toyo are also a graet tire.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Texas Bob
Tuned
I clicked on your Tire Rack site just to see how much tires were these days and came up with a smaller tire then was listed for your truck. My original size was 265 75R 16, load range E. You might want to check the sticker on the door piller.