Sponsored by: DP Tuner

from Edge to DP - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
I thought I'd do 10 cycles of the key from off to on, waiting 10 sec between each position, then plug in the utility and see how the tunes come up. Does moving the key from off to on, then off count as a cycle, or does the truck need to be started or even run for a few minutes? Forgot to ask.
I never rented a tune, I'm lost on this one. I'm pleased you like the refined tunes and that things are moving forward after all your efforts.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 472 Likes on 325 Posts
From edge to DP - some questions (FIXED, I think)

I hope you all dont mind the play by play here. I'm hoping it will help somebody and its helpful for me to hear your comments on your experiences.

Per DP's instructions, I blanked the chip and tried loading the 4 tunes emailed to me that were on the new chip I received. The no start position 0 got part way and failed to upload. The other three positions loaded fine. Disconnected and key on. so far so good. started ok. switched tune positions and started to get hiccups, SES, WTS WIF, and finally killed the engine. Likely had something to do with the position 0 upload failure.

Blanked the chip again, and reloaded the old refined Tugly tunes. No failures - all positions loaded. Disconnected utility and turned the key on, no SES. Started and ran fine. Switched thru all positions several times, no glitches.

Repeated the process above, blanking and loading emailed tunes - same failure. Loaded old tunes - good to go. Sure wonder what's going on with that nostart tune.

I'll get all this to James and see what he says. In the meantime, I need to verify the old tunes will not expire. I did several key cycles to see if they would expire. They still came up green and registered in the utility after that.

I guess I'll just use it now. Going to program the EX switch for a couple more positions, and play with the "tool" tunes of hi idle and drive thru. Got to put the edge back in to get the EGT and boost gauges back (for now, but need to sell that product and get a real set of gauges).

I sure like the 80e mountain tune for daily driver, even with the fast tip in. I'm on pavement all the time, so no gravel spurts happen.

The tow tunes will be interesting to test. Will 40T be enough? will 80T be too hot or can I regulate enough with my right foot? Maybe 60T will be just right? We'll see.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not at a high elevation, and don't have many steep hills (a few long grades and a few steep hills in western ish Maine) but my plain 80e tows my 4000lb mustang on a heavy trailer just great. I use 60t when hauling more than 6-7k non hyway usually and other than its occasional shift hold, its nice when towing 10k+.
40t would be like the safest tune. You get the good throttle responce and could probably never need to worry about egt. I am planning on getting my 450 computer just flashed with a tune of about 40hp just so I can have better throttle responce and shifting improvement. I don't need a switching chip for my work truck. Just don't want it stock either.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I am not at a high elevation, and don't have many steep hills (a few long grades and a few steep hills in western ish Maine) but my plain 80e tows my 4000lb mustang on a heavy trailer just great. I use 60t when hauling more than 6-7k non hyway usually and other than its occasional shift hold, its nice when towing 10k+.
40t would be like the safest tune.
BWST - 80E is OK, but with a couple of caveats: Stay out of it... it's a hot one. Make sure you don't accidently grab that when it's raining (Seattle? Are you kidding?)... You won't go anywhere other than sideways.

UNTAMND - While BWST is hauling his camper and towing his boat in our area... 40T is safest.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
That's quite a grade.
I'd like to try it once. LoL
On something like that I'm sure my truck would get hot. That's why I only want 40hp upgrade for my F450. I don't want any trouble with egt but want the responce and shift improvement.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
That's quite a grade.
I'd like to try it once.
I like going down that grade with the Decel tune. It 's a "cool" experience.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tugly
I like going down that grade with the Decel tune. It 's a "cool" experience.
Unfortunately I unhooked the ebpv on my "supertanker" 1ton, or else I would have added the decel tune. I may replace my turbo someday, but until my Frankenstein turbo dies it will not have decel ability.
My other truck won't be able to have decel because it doesn't use the stock turbo. Oh well. Maine doesn't have too many awesome hills, and I don't even have my diesel here in pa where I live now. My next house will have land enough to keep my toys close. Not 650 miles away in Maine.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Good notes here. I'm tempted to go with a hotter tow tune so I dont have to keep my foot floored on the steep parts - I like having some pedal travel left - easier on the leg. The tradeoff is having to drive by the EGT, but I'm ok with that.

I'll watch that 80e mountain EGT - too hot even with an empty truck? I have to get out of it pretty quick empty as I can only get up to 60MPH before I catch up with seattle traffic or a motorcycle cop. If too hot, maybe your 60e mountain will be the way to go for DD.

Rich, noticed your pics come out nice and big, while what I post stays pretty small. What's the trick? I'm posting from my FTE gallery. Is it better to use another server for pics?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Good notes here. I'm tempted to go with a hotter tow tune so I dont have to keep my foot floored on the steep parts - I like having some pedal travel left - easier on the leg. The tradeoff is having to drive by the EGT, but I'm ok with that.

I'll watch that 80e mountain EGT - too hot even with an empty truck? I have to get out of it pretty quick empty as I can only get up to 60MPH before I catch up with seattle traffic or a motorcycle cop. If too hot, maybe your 60e mountain will be the way to go for DD.

Rich, noticed your pics come out nice and big, while what I post stays pretty small. What's the trick? I'm posting from my FTE gallery. Is it better to use another server for pics?
60T has a different shift strategy from 40T (if I recall... it's been a while).

60E or 80E work fine any time you're empty, but flooring it (like... uh... to pass) is when you make the call for your truck. I know what you mean about very little WOT time, things got far more abrupt with the Stage IIs... unless I floor it. If I floor Stinky now, I have to wait for the tires to warm up before they grab... so I just roll into it.

Pictures: The forum allows JPG files to be the largest image format (they take less storage space). If you just upload an image you have from a camera, the forum will whack it pretty good to get it down to a size the forum likes. If you use imaging software to resize it to 1024 by 768 and save it as a JPG, you can upload it without the forum altering it.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Waiting for tires to warm up - love that! Maybe one day I can do that. Got to get my stock injectors to 250K first if possible.

Just ordered a yellow taped box full of gauges from Clay. Have the trans, but adding Boost, Pyro and fuel pressure. Could not bear to put the edge back in. Listing it on ebay...

Old 03-27-2013, 05:06 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
First thing I did when I put the f6 in the supertanker (my F350 4door longbed mostly work truck) was to allow motor and trans to be at operating temp, and then tested out the 120 race tune. My buddy riding with me was like, "let off the brake, I think your trans is slipping" Nope, trans is fine.... It was the rear tires that were slipping, and completely quiet. Between tire smoke and deisel smoke, you couldn't see the road or trees or sky.
Ended up laying down a good 8 truck lengths of rubber, blacker than coal, on the pavement and tapered off in another 10-12. I had it in drive with OD off, and it did its 6speed style awesome shifting and never flinched.
My truck had 200k when I chipped it. Original trans as well.
Now I can't wait to get my good truck built, now that I know how these things love a good tube. Trying to finish gathering money to build the motor. Lots of extras are needed and price skyrockets easy.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 AM
BWST
Got Data?
It will be fun to hear how it goes for you. Your work truck sounds like its dialled in. Stock injectors? 3.73 gears? Good to hear another stock trans made it to 200K and still going. I hope to do the same.

I have 285s and I think they are pretty sticky (fat Michelins), so that's probably why they dont seem to want to break loose in 80e. Then again, I do prefer they hook up so I can feel the strong acceleration.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 AM
BWST
Got Data?
You're not kidding about 80e - that's a hot one. Just installed my pyro today on the column in place of the trans oil temp. Maybe 8-10 seconds before I have to get out of it.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
You're not kidding about 80e - that's a hot one. Just installed my pyro today on the column in place of the trans oil temp. Maybe 8-10 seconds before I have to get out of it.
Hmmm
My truck runs about 30-32 psi on the 80e and only climbs past 1250 once the IC soaks a little. I say about 35-45 sec or so. But by then I'm well over the speed limit of any state. But it's an impressive run for a 10k pound land ship.

Check to make sure you're getting enough fuel, and or no boost leaks.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Naw... she's a hot one on a well-maintained truck. The "bible" says you can run over 1250 for up to 2 minutes because it takes time for the heat to soak the metal components, so an empty WOT run won't hurt anything... just don't run 80E WOT on a steep grade.

BWST just discovered the perils of running a "fun" tune without gauges.

Which reminds me... I'm really late on that paint info. Krylon Fusion with satin finish, and there is no color name anywhere on the can... just a biege lid. The bottom is stamped with KO2438001 HL0601EW

Quick Reply: from Edge to DP - some questions