6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CALING ALL OIL GURUS!! Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 Synthetic vs Mobil1 Delvac 5W40 Synthetic...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CALING ALL OIL GURUS!! Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 Synthetic vs Mobil1 Delvac 5W40 Synthetic...

Ive been running Mobil 1™ Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 in my truck since Ive owned it, but at 50$ for 4.4 Litres its getting pretty pricey (especially since I Religiously change oil every 5000 km).... Ben trying to find it in bulk and found what I thought was the same oil (according to the salesman) and went and picked up.... 20 Liter pail cost me 150$... Almost 100$ cheaper than buying it in 4.4L jugs!!!!!

Looked at it and found out that it was actually
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40... CLEARLY not the oil I was looking for, but the salesman assured me taht it was the same stuff... I know that what he sold me is designed around COMMERCIAL vehicles, and do not want to take a chance unless it will work for my 6.0... u
Ive been doing some research and found the oil specs for each grade, but do not know what the numbers and abbreviations all mean... MOST of it looks that same but some things are off by just a few digits....

Figured this was the place to ask, since I know that there are some guys out there that have gone all the way to test out all sorts of different oils and grade's... So here are the specs...

Mobil 1™ Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Mobil 1™ Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is a fully synthetic performance heavy duty diesel engine oil that helps to extend engine life while providing long drain capability and fuel economy for modern diesel engines operating in severe applications. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck utilizes state-of-the-art technology to help deliver exceptional performance in modern low emission engines, including refrigerated units, as well as older, well-maintained engines. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of light-duty applications such as turbo diesel pick-up trucks, as well as, heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the on-road transport and off-road mining, construction, and agricultural industries. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck also meets the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

The performance of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is the result of extensive cooperative development work with major equipment builders and application of the latest lubrication technology.

Features and Potential Benefits

Many modern, low emission diesel engines generate more soot and operate at higher temperatures than older engines. This significantly increases the need for supreme performance lubricants. Current tighter engine designs reduce oil consumption, resulting in less fresh oil makeup to replenish depleted additives. Top piston rings are located higher, bringing the oil film closer to the combustion chamber and exposing the lubricant to severe thermal stresses. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 helps to maintain outstanding performance at significantly higher temperatures than other high performance diesel engine oils. It is also fully compatible with conventional oils. The key potential benefits include:
FeaturesAdvantages and Potential Benefits Meets or exceeds demanding specifications of major OEMsOne engine oil for mixed fleet operations
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stabilityHelps to reduce low temperature sludge build-up and high temperature deposits Enhanced film strength at high temperaturesHelps to reduce engine scuffing and bore polishing Inherent stay-in-grade shear stabilityWear protection and reduced oil consumption; helps to maintain viscosity in severe, high temperature service Advanced formulation and viscometricsAids fuel economy Low volatilityHelps to control oil consumption Exceptional low temperature pumpabilityEasy engine start-up and helps to reduce wear Enhanced TBN quality reserveHelps to deposit control and extended drain capability Outstanding resistance to corrosionHelps to extend life of critical wear surfaces Long drain capabilityHelps to increase operating efficiency and lower overall cost Component compatibilityLong gasket and seal life, helps to extend service intervals
Applications

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). These applications include the following:
  • On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
  • Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
  • Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American, European, and Japanese equipment builders
  • High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
  • Refrigeration units
  • API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/ SM, SL, SJ
  • ACEA E7 Issue 2
  • Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3
SAE Grade -------------------------------------5W-40
SAE Grade5W-40 @ 40ºC----------------------- 97.9
-----------------@ 100ºC ----------------------14.5
Viscosity Index --------------------------------- 153
Phosporous (ASTM D4951) -----------------------0.11
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) --- 3.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) ----------------- 0.95
Total Base #, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896) -----------10.7
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) ---------------------- 215
Density @ 15.6ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) -------------0.85
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW THE DELVAC 5W40 SYNTHETIC OIL.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40

Supreme Performance Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is a fully synthetic supreme performance heavy duty diesel engine oil that helps extend engine life while providing long drain capability and potential fuel economy for modern diesel engines operating in severe applications. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP utilizes state-of-the-art technology to deliver exceptional performance in modern low emission engines, including those with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Aftertreatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s), as well as refrigerated units and older, well-maintained engines. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the on-road transport and off-road mining, construction, and agricultural industries. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP also meets the requirements of the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.
The outstanding performance of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is the result of extensive cooperative development work with major equipment builders and application of the latest lubrication technology. As a result, this product meets or exceeds the requirements of the latest API, ACEA, and Global industry specifications for diesel engine oils, as well as the requirements of virtually all major American, and European engine manufacturers.

Features and Benefits

Many modern, low emission diesel engines generate more soot and operate at higher temperatures than older engines. This significantly increases the need for supreme performance lubricants. In addition, new engines (model-year 2007 and beyond) come equipped with aftertreatment devices installed in the engine exhaust stream which will require the use of both API CJ-4 oils and ultra-low sulfur fuels to function properly. Further, new engines using EGR will generate even higher levels of acid, soot and heat than older EGR engines due to substantially increased EGR rates compared to previous EGR designs. Top piston rings are located higher, bringing the oil film closer to the combustion chamber and exposing the lubricant to severe thermal stresses. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 maintains outstanding performance at significantly higher temperatures than other high performance diesel engine oils. It is also fully compatible with conventional oils. The key benefits include:

Features Advantages and Potential Benefits Meets or exceeds demanding specifications of major OEMs One engine oil for mixed fleet operations Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduced low temperature sludge build-up and high temperature deposits Enhanced film strength at high temperatures Reduced engine scuffing and bore polishing Inherent stay-in-grade shear stability Wear protection and reduced oil consumption; maintains viscosity in severe, high temperature service Advanced formulation and viscometrics Improved fuel economy Low volatility Reduced oil consumption Exceptional low temperature pumpability Easy engine start-up and reduced wear Enhanced TBN quality reserve Deposit control and extended drain capability Outstanding resistance to corrosion Extended life of critical wear surfaces Long drain capability Increased operating efficiency and lower overall cost Component compatibility Long gasket and seal life, extended service intervals

Applications

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), Aftertreatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s). These applications include the following:
  • On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
  • Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
  • Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American and European equipment builders
  • High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
  • Refrigeration units
  • Mobil Delvac 1 ESP meets or exceeds the requirements of: 5W-40
  • API CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/SM/SL
  • ACEA E7, E9
  • Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2
  • Cummins CES 20081
  • Twin Disc S364A
SAE Grade ------------------------------------- 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445cSt @ 40ºC ------------------ 98
cSt ----------------------@ 100ºC --------------- 14.7
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 ----------------------156
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 --------------------1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 --------------10.1
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 ------------------------ -48
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 -------------------------249
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 ------------------0.85

I hate oil threads myself and I just opened pandoras box on these 2 grades.... Let me know what you think..... pail is still sealed so I can return if its a no go for use....

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Mobil Delvac ESP is Mobils top of the line synthetic diesel oil. Your 6.0 psd won't notice a difference.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Mobil Delvac ESP is Mobils top of the line synthetic diesel oil. Your 6.0 psd won't notice a difference.

Ok, just wantd to make sure.... I dont like change all that much, and if the 6.0's history says anything, neither does the Powerstroke LOL!!!!!
So the ESP is top of the line, even better than the stuff U get at Wal-mart or Crappy-Tire???

Thanks again!!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Delvac 5W40 is superior to the Mobil1 TDT.

I find it funny Mobil rarely publishes the cold pour point of the TDT. It's actually a pathetic -39c (-38F), especially for a supposed full synthetic 5W oil.

As for "Wal-Mart" oils, I would always choose Rotella over anything else.

Josh

Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotella T6 5W-40. There's a reason it's sold out every time I go to Wal-Mart.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Sounds like your Oil is OK

I dont follow Oil to much I just do like Josh and go to walmART and get the Rottella 5w-40 synthetic and dont Look Back

But Mark (Bismic) and Im shure many others Here on FTE Knows the Exact Spec what a 6.0L requires for Oil

Personaly IDK the rating But Mark would

Bismic Should have it Listed in his Spreadsheets so did you ever get a copy of the Spreadsheets???????????????????????????

Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by BLADE35
Sounds like your Oil is OK

I dont follow Oil to much I just do like Josh and go to walmART and get the Rottella 5w-40 synthetic and dont Look Back

But Mark (Bismic) and Im shure many others Here on FTE Knows the Exact Spec what a 6.0L requires for Oil

Personaly IDK the rating But Mark would

Bismic Should have it Listed in his Spreadsheets so did you ever get a copy of the Spreadsheets???????????????????????????
This might help:

http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/doc...ange_Guide.pdf

Josh

Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
There are several keys to having a "happy motor".

1) Any brand of 5W-40 oil that is API certified (not just claimed to be but actually carries the API certification symbol)

2) Using a Motorcraft oil filter or a filter made by Racor (Racor is the OEM manufactor of the oil filter housing for International - the maker of our motors). Proper filtration is key for a "happy motor". Motorcraft filters can be purchased at Walmart for $19.99/ea... as good as anywhere else and you just buy 1 at a time as you need it.

3) Change your oil every 5,000 miles. It is an easy number to remember and matches up to the other service/mileage intervals that is required for your truck. Your manual says to change between 5,000 - 7,500 miles, but most cgange at 5,000 miles due to the reduced viscosity of all motor oils in the 6.0L motor.

For what it is worth, I only have used Rotella-Syn 5W-40 motor oil purchased at Walmart since 50,000 miles and now have 225,000 miles. My Blackstone oil reports are as good as anyone elses and my oil costs a whole lot less than many of the other brands out there... but to each their own... and if you follow the above rules, you motor will be very happy!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
THe only material difference is the Delvac is not low ash CJ-4 rated. It does meet the CI 4 plus required for the 6.0. Beach bum is correct you are paying a lot for something that could by spec be replaced with a less expensive alternative. There is absolutely no problem in changing from one weight and make of oil to another so long as that API rating is as rewuired or better. My truck has run since near new on 5w40 syn Chevron DELO 400, but I recently changed to DMO full syn 0w40 from our Canadian co-op. I went from 120 bucks for oil to 60 bucks. It's the best price I can find for a fully synthetic CJ4 oil up here north of the border. Hello even easier cold starts.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
IHbase
Elder User
(especially since I Religiously change oil every 5000 km)

Seriously?

Why would anyone bother changing oil every 3,100 miles in a modern engine? Why would anyone change SYNTHETIC oil every 3,100 miles?

If you average 50 mph, you are changing your oil every 62 engine hours. Older ag diesels (15 years+) get 100 hour oil changes. Newer equipment get 200 hour intervals. Tier IV equipment is rated over 300 hour intervals with synthetic oil (CaseIH is now at 600 hours. Deere is at 500 hours synthetic and 250 non-synthetic).

All of the oil analysis I have sent in from 6.0 motors have shown that at 200 hours, the oil is fine. That is 3 times the "5,000 km" interval and with non-synthetic oil.

What's next, daily oil changes? Yes, the HEUI system reacts well to clean oil. I do not argue that these motors require a lot more maintenance than a 5.9 Cummins. But it seems like some common sense is due. It is a common and mass produced diesel engine. Not a delicate piece of track-day weaponry. It is a truck. Not a race bike.

-Mike

Old 02-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by IHbase

If you average 50 mph, you are changing your oil every 62 engine hours. Older ag diesels (15 years+) get 100 hour oil changes. Newer equipment get 200 hour intervals. Tier IV equipment is rated over 300 hour intervals with synthetic oil (CaseIH is now at 600 hours. Deere is at 500 hours synthetic and 250 non-synthetic).
Deere equipment has been on a 250 hour schedule since the 70s, they just recently (2010) now use a 500 hour service schedule.

Deere also uses 30 mile per engine hour.

So what used to be 7500 miles is now 15,000 miles between oil changes.

There is no difference in using dino or synthetic, the only call-out in Deere equipment is the use of Plus-50 II versus the older Plus-50.

I used to do 500-750 hour services on Multiquip generators and Godwin diesel powered pumps. Of course those machines aran 24/7 and couldn't be shut-down for any length of time.

Josh

Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 PM
IHbase
Elder User
You are correct, the Deere 500 hr spec is tied to Plus 50 II (and Deere filters) not to synthetic oil. For some reason I keep associating Plus 50 II oil with a synthetic base, and that is an incorrect association on my part. Thanks for the correction.

But Deere only recommends the 500 hr interval with their oil and filter- which makes sense only if you believe the Deere spec oil to be superior to anything else out there. It also suggests that the limiting factor to oil life in these applications is contaminant load, not thermal breakdown. A situation which suggests that the additional cost of synthetic oil in those applications will not earn a return on the investment.

Yes, synthetic 6.0 oil fans, I am aware that Navistar used the Cat-licensed HEUI injection system from MY 1994.5 through 2007 and that such a system may respond well to lighter viscosity synthetic oil at start-up. Even though I actually believe the 6.0 runs better with synthetic oil, all evidence is anecdotal. There are a lot of very high hour PSD motors around with the original injectors running non-synthetic oil.

Either way (synthetic or non), fuel, oil and injection technology have moved a long way beyond the 100 hour oil change interval. Synthetic or otherwise, I have come to the conclusion that pre 200 hour oil changes are a waste of time and money.

Regarding generators and pumps- as a rule we also run much longer intervals on them because they have very very easy lives no overheating due to dust and chaff plugged cooling systems, lugging or abuse, and because they generally live in very clean air quality environments. They typically have 4x the lifespan of tractor and combine engines.

-Mike

Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Bullitt390

You are correct, the Deere 500 hr spec is tied to Plus 50 II (and Deere filters) not to synthetic oil. For some reason I keep associating Plus 50 II oil with a synthetic base, and that is an incorrect association on my part. Thanks for the correction.

Either way (synthetic or non), fuel, oil and injection technology have moved a long way beyond the 100 hour oil change interval. Synthetic or otherwise, I have come to the conclusion that pre 200 hour oil changes are a waste of time and money.

Regarding generators and pumps- as a rule we also run much longer intervals on them because they have very very easy lives no overheating due to dust and chaff plugged cooling systems, lugging or abuse, and because they generally live in very clean air quality environments. They typically have 4x the lifespan of tractor and combine engines.

-Mike
I was a Deere tech from 96-2004 and then worked for a pipeline company keeping track of over 75 pieces of heavy machinery, not including dozens of trucks (25 6.0 trucks no less) and other equipment.

Those guys ran that crap hard, and it was a chore doing 60+ hours a week keeping up with it. Especially after the economy downturn in late 2007 when I was the only mechanic left.

I was burned out by Spring 2009.

Definately filtration is the key. Just look at locomotives who will literally run 500,000+ miles on a change of oil. They do supplement the oil with ad-packs, don't remember the intervals though and the filters are changed on the 92 day FRA inspection.

I wish I could remember some of the total hours of the generators and water pumps... easily 40,000+ hours, no engine rebuilds.

Even when I left in 09 with the newer equipment I still did the 250 hour engine routine on the other equipment. Couldn't bring myself to doing 500 hours on a 350D excavator or 644K loader.

As for Deere oil, back then Chevron made the majority of their dino based oil and ESSO made their Synthetic base stocks.

Caterpillar is Mobil.

Josh

Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

Even when I left in 09 with the newer equipment I still did the 250 hour engine routine on the other equipment. Couldn't bring myself to doing 500 hours on a 350D excavator or 644K loader.

As for Deere oil, back then Chevron made the majority of their dino based oil and ESSO made their Synthetic base stocks.

Caterpillar is Mobil.

Josh
I'm with you there. I have a really hard time letting tractors and combines go over 200 hours even when I know it is supposed to be ok. I'm a big fan of oil sample analysis. Eventually I'll embrace the longer intervals for Tier 4 SCR engines because it is a big cost savings. I have not done the math, but my hunch is that it would save a lot of money to run Plus 50 II at 500 hours on the new stuff. Deere even offers to drop a set of tanks on site for the BTOs (Big Time Operators).

I understand the multi-unit pressures. At some point on the scale of getting big, those outfits just become a circus. The best young mechanics I know came out of those big outfits, and the ones that left always left because they were just burnt out.

Around here, the Chevron distributor supplies oil to the Cat dealer and I do not know who blends the Deere stuff. From what I understand, it is by regional contract- but that is just what I hear from the oil distributor, so I don't really know.

-Mike

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Bullitt390

I understand the multi-unit pressures. At some point on the scale of getting big, those outfits just become a circus. The best young mechanics I know came out of those big outfits, and the ones that left always left because they were just burnt out.
I have literally done well over 8000 oil samples... I have enough oil sample PPM numbers in my head it's nuts.

The Pipeline company had a deal with Chevron before I started for oil tanks and oil sampling, but not long after I started they had supply issues so I switched to Rotella (and at the time Rimula) and never looked back.

Oil sampling thru Oil Analysts Inc also. Can't stand Blackstone.

Josh

Quick Reply: CALING ALL OIL GURUS!! Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 Synthetic vs Mobil1 Delvac 5W40 Synthetic...