1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Don't like the Transit?.......it could be worse.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Don't like the Transit?.......it could be worse.

Just looking through Autoblog and found this a few minutes ago:

2014 Ram Promaster reporting for duty

And this on pickuptrucks.com:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02...-work-van.html

Although the Transit may not be the most popular replacement in Ford's history, I'd hate to think I might be relegated to driving this while trying to keep a straight face.

Seriously though, it looks like Euro style replacements are the wave of the future. I'm curious to see what GM does with the Savana and Express over the next few years.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 02-08-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
avenge
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just ruined my day.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Was never a Mopar fan, but did like the old Dodge van single rear door option.

Have no feel for today's Dodge Ram-Fiat connection, but back in the 80's nearly bought a Fiat 242 Step Van.

Don't know where Promaster front end stylists got hatched out, but have wanted a FWD, full size, high fuel economy, van for decades. At long last, they're finally just about here. Suspect the garish plastic Promaster nose piece will grown on us & may not look as odd in person. And immediately like the look of the office & low cargo floor.

Considering the last Dodge full size vans the Promaster looks like a winner.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 AM
avenge
Senior User
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Was never a Mopar fan, but did like the old Dodge van single rear door option.

Have no feel for today's Dodge Ram-Fiat connection, but back in the 80's nearly bought a Fiat 242 Step Van.

Don't know where Promaster front end stylists got hatched out, but have wanted a FWD, full size, high fuel economy, van for decades. At long last, they're finally just about here. Suspect the garish plastic Promaster nose piece will grown on us & may not look as odd in person. And immediately like the look of the office & low cargo floor.

Considering the last Dodge full size vans the Promaster looks like a winner.
Dodge has always made the ugliest vans both full size and mini. Sure it will grow on me like a wart.......ugly and annoying.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
While there's no denying I like the appearance of '92-'07 Econolines, I'm still waiting for the 'new' front end to "grow on me like a wart.......ugly and annoying". But to me vans are utilitarian vehicles, not beauty contestants.

To that end more utilitarian often looks better. For instance I like the new black front on E-Series cargo vans marginally better than the chrome monster on High end versions.

Originally Posted by avenge
Dodge has always made the ugliest vans both full size and mini. Sure it will grow on me like a wart.......ugly and annoying.
Dodge may have "made the ugliest vans both full size and mini" BUT they sure did sell a lot of Caravans.

In line with this I've been interested in the UMC Aeromate step van, which is based on Dodge Caravan FWD drivetrain. Want the FWD, low floor, generous headroom, great MPG, cheap EZ maintenance & large volume Aeromate offers. Like the aluminum body, 1 piece fiberglass hood/fenders opens wide for access & its ugliness is actually a plus.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
As stated in the ad the Promaster model is based on the Ducato platform ....where I read previously that the Daily was the one they were going to re-badge ... as it is rear wheel drive and goes up to 22.5 K GVW ....at least in Italy....The Ducato only goes to 12.5 K ..The Daily also has a slightly more power....http://web.iveco.com/uk/products/pag..._benefits.aspx.... with the Twin Turbo
http://web.iveco.com/uk/products/pag...b_engines.aspx

Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who in the hell is designing these things?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 AM
avenge
Senior User
To that end more utilitarian often looks better.
I'll pass on the utilitarian look......I for one don't care to drive something that looks like a high speed rail.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Who in the hell is designing these things?
....FIAT...IVECO is the Italian version of CAT they make all kinds of Trucks / Construction Vehicles

Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Negative comments like:

"Who in the hell is designing these things?"

"I for one don't care to drive something that looks like a high speed rail."

Prompted me to go back, reopen the link & take another look. Don't like the looks of U.S. & Japan "high speed rail" BUT the French did a better job. Of course "high speed rail" is still a bit of a Hot Button issue here in FL, where majority rule got vetoed.

On 2nd look the Ram Promaster looks less "garish" not as utilitarian & more futuristic. Dug deeper into the link & found more reasons to like the rebadged Fiat van.

One thing is for clear. There's no way the venerable old, face lifted, Gas Guzzling E-Series was going to compete in the evolving, full size, fuel efficient, van market.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They could of made more fuel efficient drivelines for the E-series....

Something like a 4BT be nice.

Oh wait...., everyone these days need the power to go up a 12% grade fully loaded in cruise control, talking on their cell phone and not loose speed....right. Scratch that awesome idea then.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
avenge
Senior User
Negative comments like:

"Who in the hell is designing these things?"

"I for one don't care to drive something that looks like a high speed rail."

Prompted me to go back, reopen the link & take another look. Don't like the looks of U.S. & Japan "high speed rail" BUT the French did a better job. Of course "high speed rail" is still a bit of a Hot Button issue here in FL, where majority rule got vetoed.

On 2nd look the Ram Promaster looks less "garish" not as utilitarian & more futuristic. Dug deeper into the link & found more reasons to like the rebadged Fiat van.

One thing is for clear. There's no way the venerable old, face lifted, Gas Guzzling E-Series was going to compete in the evolving, full size, fuel efficient, van market.
Don't come in this thread and start bashing the ones that don't like the European styling, the original post was negative to begin with. I'm all for gas efficiency and practicality but don't make me buy something I'm embarrassed to drive. From what I've seen so far the Promaster is the absolute ugliest new style I've seen. It's definitely futuristic.....remember the AMC Pacer voted worst car of all time?

I'm pretty sure you're in the minority.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
I liked the Pacer Body wise.....it was like driving a fishbowl....My grilfriend's Dad in High School had one .....It was the POS drivetrain that sucked the most......

Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
avenge
Senior User
Originally Posted by blageurt
I liked the Pacer Body wise.....it was like driving a fishbowl....My grilfriend's Dad in High School had one .....It was the POS drivetrain that sucked the most......
My sister had one briefly and your right it was like being in a fish bowl there was no place for me to hide when I was in it. I'd feel the same way in a Promaster.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by avenge
Don't come in this thread and start bashing the ones that don't like the European styling, the original post was negative to begin with. I'm all for gas efficiency and practicality but don't make me buy something I'm embarrassed to drive. From what I've seen so far the Promaster is the absolute ugliest new style I've seen. It's definitely futuristic.....remember the AMC Pacer voted worst car of all time?

I'm pretty sure you're in the minority.
I might be as well. A van is like a truck to me in the fact that I would purchase one because it was a tool that I need. The aesthetics of the tool honestly don't matter to me if it makes the best choice financially.

It hit me the other day that in the 117,000 miles my Excursion has seen it has most likely consumed the modern day equivalent of $37,000 in gas. That's HUGE expense over the lifecycle of the vehicle. I would happily trade some aesthetics for fuel economy while maintaining the capability of the vehicle. I own my Excursion because I need something that can pull over 10,000 lbs with my family, NOT because I think it looks pretty. I'd venture the minds of most successful business owners are similar.

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
They could of made more fuel efficient drivelines for the E-series....

Something like a 4BT be nice.

Oh wait...., everyone these days need the power to go up a 12% grade fully loaded in cruise control, talking on their cell phone and not loose speed....right. Scratch that awesome idea then.
Come on now John, you know that the pre-emissions 4BT is illegal to sell in a vehicle intended for use on public roads in both the US and Canada. And while numbers haven't been released yet, do you really think the new 3.2L I5 diesel is designed for going warp speed up a hill with a 10,000 lb trailer?

And by far the largest factor in highway fuel economy is wind resistance. Even the newest engines and transmissions only manage meager gains in fuel economy unless other vehicle improvements happen at the same time.

Quick Reply: Don't like the Transit?.......it could be worse.