1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F1 weekend driver project

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM
DADx2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 F1 weekend driver project

Hello everyone, I am currently working on my FIL's 1950 F1. It is in very good condition except for a few minor issues. He's not much of a wrencher, so I'm stepping in to help. It is all stock, minus the late model wheels and radial tires.

Here is what I'm doing: Converting from 6v to 12v, replacing all the brake lines, and fixing the "popping out of 2nd gear" problem. Basically looking to freshen some things up to improve dependability.

Waiting on a few more items to complete the conversion, and brakes.

I am now beginning my research on the transmission. It is a floor shift 3 speed, mated to the original Flathead V8.

Quick question: Given this limited amount of information, would someone predict a possible model number for this transmission?

I am at work until 7am, and 40+ miles away from the truck, otherwise I would get a VIN number, or pics of the trans for identification.

PLEASE excuse the link to the photo, I couldn't seem to embed the actual pic. Maybe my newb status ??

Thanks, Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps52471b8f.jpg

Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Jim. To embed the photo click on a little icon at the top of the box you type your message in. It's the one that looks like two mountain peaks with a sun and a yellow background. A popup box will appear and you type the URL of the photo you want to imbed (right click on the photo, select image location, then paste into popup) and viola, it's done.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
DADx2
New User
Thanks, looking forward to learning and sharing here.

thanks for posting the pic. I did try that, but only ended up with a red X. Maybe it's an issue with my work computer. I've not had trouble on another forum that I'm on (from home computer).

I will try to post some more pics tomorrow when I get out to the shop.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,835 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Welcome to the board!
These are fun old trucks. Is it a factory floor shift? I thought all the floor shifts were 4spd tranny's.

Bobby

Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Originally Posted by DADx2
Thanks, looking forward to learning and sharing here.

thanks for posting the pic. I did try that, but only ended up with a red X. Maybe it's an issue with my work computer. I've not had trouble on another forum that I'm on (from home computer).

I will try to post some more pics tomorrow when I get out to the shop.
Or it could be that when the box pops up there is a 'http://' already in it. If you paste the link you can get 'http://http://yourlink' which will cause a broken link. Ask me how I know....

Looking forward to the pics. A bit larger, and lots more!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
DADx2
New User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Welcome to the board!
These are fun old trucks. Is it a factory floor shift? I thought all the floor shifts were 4spd tranny's.

Bobby
Thank you,

Yes, It is a factory floor shift. I'm embarrassed that I am not 100% sure either way. I haven't driven it. I trailered it to my shop and began the 6v to 12 conversion. I will check tomorrow.

Originally Posted by South of BC
Or it could be that when the box pops up there is a 'http://' already in it. If you paste the link you can get 'http://http://yourlink' which will cause a broken link. Ask me how I know....

Looking forward to the pics. A bit larger, and lots more!
I will figure the pic issue asap

Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It could be a 3 spd heavy duty transmission. Those were also floor shift.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 AM
brain75
Elder User
I understand the jumping out of 2nd gear is real common with 3 speeds - so much so that these guys: Techno Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford pulled a thread out of their main forum and added it to their most frequent / common: Jumping Out Of 2nd Gear

A key question I would ask, does it jump out under load, or does it jump out when you let up on the throttle?

"When you`re in second gear and let off does the gear shift lever move about an inch towards neutral?
If so, I`d look at the end play in the main shaft as well as the synchro hub assembly. "

Note, I've never torn one of those beauties apart, I'm just real good with google.

Now I have rewired 6v to 12v, and done a 4sp rock crusher to modern T-5 swap. Feel free to ask me any questions on those. :P

I was going to link you to my trans tech article, but it looks like FTE went through a db rewrite or something and it hamburgered the hell out of my chart.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello, and welcome from California. I'm sure you'll find plenty of technical and moral support here!

Dan

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jim,
Welcome Aboard! We like 1950's here. It looks very solid.
The easiest way I found to post pics is to join FTE & pay the $20 - then you become a "supporter" & can just click the paperclip Icon & search your harddrive & post pics. Much easier - I never could figure out that mountain icon thing - though many have.

I wish I could help with your transmission question but we have a totally refreshed drivetrain. Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
brain75
Elder User
I had forgot I put this up on my www site as well as the forum here - this is tech article I refer to on post #8. It's focused at swap, but ya got years, castings/case marks and diagrams (diagram and tech ref are clickable links). Since you have a '50 and you believe it is stock, it would be one from the 1st green chart.
Ford F1 series Transmissions swap

Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
redundant post removed

Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
DADx2
New User
Thank you for warm welcome folks, Certainly seems like a great online community.

Sorry for the small pics, I am having an unusually hard time with my computer/ I phone pics/ photobucket !! GRRRR

Brain, FIL says that it will pop out of 2nd even under load. Also says, light pressure on the shifter will keep it engaged.

SOBC... edit after your post.. No, he didn't buy it new. However, I am pretty sure he bought it from the original owner.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Good looking truck, albeit a bit hard to see because they are so small. Just wondering, did your FIL buy it new?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
DADx2
New User
Well, I broke out the trust ole "real" camera. These are a little better I hope. No more Iphone pic attempts.

Also, looks like the VIN number on the glovebox plate reads: 98RC-419749 Does this offer any more insight to what model this truck is and perhaps what transmission it is? (or at least was supposed to come with)

Edit: just googled vintage ford truck vin decoder, and ha, sent me back to FTE !!! It didn't provide me much information, other than V8 and cubic inch.

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: 1950 F1 weekend driver project