1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 F100 (First Project)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1953 F100 (First Project)

I recently purchased a 1953 F100 with a 302 Motor( will confirm this weekend once engine is washed down to find numbers)

It's the typcial project truck, paint, body has holes that need to be filled, suspension is stock, tires are from a low rider (added sex appeal), interior is all down to bare metal with only one small 3" by 2" spot of rust, bed has no wood but has all the metal strips etc etc

I am looking to this community for some help for a new kid working on his first truck. I'm looking to do all the work myself in my garage or as much as I can physically do. I'm in no rush to do this but i'd like to have near completion by next christmas so I could pass to this off to my father for Christmas.

Problems that are visible are the paint is faded, windows need to be replaced, the rims have to go soon lol but will do for now.

Does anyone know of a good book or personal experience on leveling the bed? When you look at the bed from behind it's off centered it's leaning more to the right and not even at all.

When I pick her up this weekend I will post pictures so everyone can see and then get some advice if you have any.

Mr. M-

Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
congratulations on your new truck..looking forward to seeing your pictures..I am learning after 40 plus years of pulling wrenches..start with a list and figger out what you need and want,,2 very different things..is it a runner? will it stop?you can get kit's for the bed with all the bolts and instructions ..mine has concreat leveling...it's a canadian thing!!if it not square or level start at the frame and check from there..for blocks and spacers..for me it's trial and terror...and learn by surprise...all good!!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Mine leaned too; it was a bent frame. Welcome aboard!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
I'm going to add photos to the thread in a few min's so take a look at the fun I've got myself into

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Truck

Notice the bed leaning to the right, any idea's on how to adjust?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 AM
leadsled56
Junior User
unbolt that corner and throw a couple of washers in between the frame and the bed. if you want to dive a little deeper then check the rear bed crossmember. one side could be crushed a little. just to give a little advise, don't just tear it completly apart. be extremely **** when labeling things. use zip ties and zip lock bags. mark everything. just because you know what this weird looking thing you just pulled off is right now doesn't mean 8 months from now you will remember. I work as a helicopter mechanic by trade. this is how we do it with those too. useing this method, I have been able to put aircraft back together even 3 years after we took it apart. also start out with a plan. even if its a little vague. do you want all original or full custom? personally I like to start with the drive train first and then do the body later. the reason why is because it would suck to complete the body and paint then cut parts of it to fit a different suspension or something. what you could do if you had the room (not saying you do) is set up a spare frame the way you want while you drive your truck. once it's ready you can swap your body onto the frame.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Yeh... what leadsled56 said. BTW your truck seems to be in fairly decent shape! I wish mine started out that nicely.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelmilburn
Notice the bed leaning to the right, any idea's on how to adjust?
Your truck bed sits on 4 crossmembers that bolt to your fame rails. For your bed to be that crooked, you either have bent frame rails or bent or rotted crossmembers. You'll have to crawl underneath and do some investigating to find the problem before deciding on a 'cure.' The good news is, the crossmembers are readily available and not too expensive, if you need to replace one or more.

Take a look and let us know what you find.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
I will keep you informed on what i find.

Now comes a fun question of what's really wrong with this truck.

Aside from mickey mouse wiring and most likely a dead battery, i know the headers are old, carb is FUBAR, intake is stock, it has garden hose's attached to somethings. I plan to replace all the fuel line's, hoses wiring etc.

Now here's the quesiton. It takes awhile for it to start, i have to put fuel in the carb to get it going, when it starts it starts fine it runs then it just stops.

You start it again and it may stall one or two more times then get going. I went for a drive when i first bought it and at every stop light and sign it just stalled, then starts up again and goes then rev's up and down.

The seller said it needed a new carb, distributor, and intake.

I have all this but the dsitributor. What cold be wrong with it from people's experience. Keep in mind this has been sitting awhile and it needs new parts

Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Björn
Elder User
congrats with the truck
Now the project can start

Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by michaelmilburn
I will keep you informed on what i find.

Now here's the quesiton. It takes awhile for it to start, i have to put fuel in the carb to get it going, when it starts it starts fine it runs then it just stops.

You start it again and it may stall one or two more times then get going. I went for a drive when i first bought it and at every stop light and sign it just stalled, then starts up again and goes then rev's up and down.

The seller said it needed a new carb, distributor, and intake.

I have all this but the dsitributor. What cold be wrong with it from people's experience. Keep in mind this has been sitting awhile and it needs new parts
Maybe a clogged fuel filter? Although it could also be distributor related. Points or electronic ignition?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still slowly restoring my old '53. My bed alignment looked a lot like yours. Only it turned out that it was the cab that was leaning because of a bad mount, and not the bed frame.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 AM
michaelmilburn
Senior User
Originally Posted by jvmcc
I'm still slowly restoring my old '53. My bed alignment looked a lot like yours. Only it turned out that it was the cab that was leaning because of a bad mount, and not the bed frame.
I shall soon find out, once I start that project!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
mathew21
Junior User
From what I can see it looks like a nice solid Truck. Congrats!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:01 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 588 Likes on 528 Posts
Looks like you have a starting point better than many. I think the overall plan is a good thing but don't be surprised when you get part way thru it that you might change direction. Enjoy the journey!

Quick Reply: 1953 F100 (First Project)