Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 f-150 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM
projectdagger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 f-150 transmission

i have a 92 f-150 4x4 with a 302 and computerized automatic transmission. the transmission lost all forward gears. so i was wondering would a manual transmission from an 89 f-150 4x4 with a 300 engine work in this truck?
thank you for your time

Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Cheggie
Elder User
Yes, the transmission will work. The bellhousing patterns are the same.

My opinion and some advise follows....

You're going to need a lot of other parts too, clutch mc/pedal cluster/slave cylinder, driveshaft lengths may both be different, computer will probably run the truck ok, but there may be some driveability issues unless you get a manual transmission computer. If you're attached to the truck it can be done, but it's likely to be as expensive as an automatic trans rebuild and a lot more trouble. I have swapped vehicles from auto to manual, and my truck from 4x2 to 4x4. It ends up costing more than you might guess.

Your best bet is to find a complete parts truck (similar year, same cab/bed configuration as yours) you can scavenge for parts during the build. There's a lot of little stuff that you just can't anticipate needing.

Don't forget, unless you're familiar with the M5R2 (I think this is what you'll find in the 89 truck) there's a good chance it will need some reconditioning by this time. Common issues are shift forks, synchronizer rings, bearing wear requiring resetting the thrust spacer, etc.

Unless you've got time, available funds (estimate a price and double it!) and determination, I'd advise rebuilding the automatic. A good rebuild will last a long time, and a good shop will build in improvements too.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 AM
projectdagger
Elder User
the transmission was rebuilt but went out after a couple of thousand miles according to the previous owner. i do already have a parts truck. at the moment i'm a little undecided what to do. because to get it rebuilt locally runs about the same as replacing it. what kind of drivablity issues would i have? it's actually a clean truck

Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Cheggie
Elder User
Originally Posted by Cheggie
A good rebuild will last a long time, and a good shop will build in improvements too.

There is one man in our area that I would trust to rebuild an automatic for me, and he's not the cheapest option. a lot of folks cheap out or pay the lowest bidder for a rebuild, and they don't last long. If you decide to rebuild your automatic, I'd recommend you find your local transmission guru. The guys at the dragstrip will know who this is. He/she may not advertise, and may work on word of mouth alone.

Your current computer will probably run fine with the manual trans. In the past, I have had to repin connectors and add wiring to make the conversion drive "as factory."
If it doesn't run "perfect", you'll have some sluething to do to find out what changed..

You know how much you could afford for a rebuilt automatic; if you decide to do the swap there's nothing like investing a little sweat equity. Just be prepared that it will take longer than you estimate, and could end up costing as much as a good rebuilt automatic.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
You posted "computerized" transmission in your opening statement. Do you know which transmission it is? Check the door jamb sticker for the transmission code. Code E is an E4OD (rare behind a 5L of this vintage). Trans Code T is an AOD which is a mechanical/hydraulic OD transmission.

If you actually do have an E4OD it is HIGHLY suggested you check for codes. The transmission is 100% electronic controlled. Check to see what the computer thinks is wrong before tearing into this project too far.

If you have an AOD then it may worthwhile to check the TV cable adjustment.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
As RLA stated, an E4OD would be rare for this truck. My bet is an AOD. As stated by Cheggie, nothing is impossible, but $$$$ wise and labor, is plausible. I would insist on the local jy for an AOD, it's gonna be lighter on your wallet. And if you decide on the rebuild ( I would ), then have it rebuilt corectly.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM
projectdagger
Elder User
the transmission code is e. on the bottom of the transmission there is the word metric stamped into the housing. how would i check it for codes?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
E4OD. That's rare for the '92, 4x4.

Here's the link for pulling codes.
Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test

Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
projectdagger
Elder User
i ended up borrowing a scanner made by innova. which threw a code of 636, according to the book, which said. transmission oil temperature higher or lower than expected