1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new front wheel unit bearing from korea

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
magnumak1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new front wheel unit bearing from korea

so, I opted for the more expensive replacement hub at O'riellys 425 ea instead of 280 for the cheap ones. Get it home and the label says made in Korea company name is Precision Hubs. Any one have any thoughts on its quality? Dont want to do this twice.

99 f350 drw crew cab 4x4 7.3 work truck
200+ miles

Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
They sell these bearings on Amazon also. As a total product line (not just Super Duty) they do not get real good reviews.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought some Precision brand hubs from Amazon, but ended up getting a mismatched pair so never did install them. They didn't seem to be that bad of quality, but they didn't seem as well made as the Timkens I did end up getting and plus the Timkens came with a new seal and knuckle to hub studs. However, I think you were ripped off for off-brand hubs for that price. They sell on Amazon for around $150 and have poor ratings at that. You can probably get some from Rock Auto for cheaper then that even after paying shipping to AK.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
run!

the machine work may be fine, but the longevity of the steel will likely be poor. so they feel good out of the box, but don't hold up on the road.

find something made in USA, it is worth the effort and extra cost. I have never had a bearing made overseas hold up.

JMHO.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timkens are less then $200 from Autozone.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even the MOOG units I bought were made in Korea, in 10,000 miles I suspect one is going bad again. Remember the "lifetime warranty" only means one replacement! Actually My drivers side is on its 2nd moog unit, The first one looked like a defect with almost no grease in it and was very hard to turn. In the spring I plan on replacing the moog junk units with timkens

Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 AM
magnumak1
Junior User
Originally Posted by kawcrasher
Timkens are less then $200 from Autozone.
Dang, I was all set to be happy happy happy, but unfortunately AZ is a bit more for the ones I need 549.99 in the Anchorage store.

Timken/Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Front (HA590425) | 1999 Ford F350 Super Duty P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders F 7.3L Turbo Diesel | AutoZone.com

However thanks for the post as it led me the timken part number and Rock Auto has them for 328.00 + 36.00 shipped to the door so looks like I will be waiting to do this.

Just hope it stays at the current balmy 20 degrees till it gets here or this chore might really suck

Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
You might want to check here for your hubs, this is where I bought my Timkens for much less than RockAuto (which is surprising since RockAuto has great prices)...
Discount Auto Parts, Tools & Accessories | StockWiseAuto

If the price is so high because you have an early '99 (like me) and are buying the pre-3/21/99 hubs than you might want to consider buying the 'late 99' hub and brake rotor. Your brake caliper and everything else will still work and you'll have switched over to a late '99 front end as far as the brakes and rotor are concerned. Even though you will be buying more parts you will still save money over buying the pre 3/99 hubs. You can see this thread where I was discussing it a while back:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10982842

Good luck!

Last edited by northwindone; 02-06-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ill step up on my soap box...IMO stay clear of offshore garbage. Countless times I've had nothing but trouble with offshore crap. Yet we keep buying it, they keep sending it over in container ships while there economy thrives ours dies.
I don't want offshore junk in my American (Mexican, Canadian) Ford. Offshore is the only choice you have with the big box houses ALL of them not just car parts places. Read the labels where ever you go you'll see what I mean. Sure it has a life time warranty but you'll need to do the job at least twice with the free lifetime replacement part.
I needed front wheel bearings & seals on my 68, 442. All I could find was CHINA, INDIA, Mozambique, Pluto etc...not doing that to an American Muscle Car. Called BDI (bearing dist inc. google it) and they said yes they offer both offshore and USA. But they didn't offer the USA first I had to ask so they are just as guilty. Grand total to do both front axles shipped to my house was a $12 difference between junk and quality...really.
So all Im saying is how important is price when you have to do the job twice and likely put your life at risk with unregulated inferior auto/truck components....I step down off my box...

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
magnumak1
Junior User
Originally Posted by northwindone
You might want to check here for your hubs, this is where I bought my Timkens for much less than RockAuto (which is surprising since RockAuto has great prices)...
Discount Auto Parts, Tools & Accessories | StockWiseAuto

If the price is so high because you have an early '99 (like me) and are buying the pre-3/21/99 hubs than you might want to consider buying the 'late 99' hub and brake rotor. Your brake caliper and everything else will still work and you'll have switched over to a late '99 front end as far as the brakes and rotor are concerned. Even though you will be buying more parts you will still save money over buying the pre 3/99 hubs. You can see this thread where I was discussing it a while back:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10982842

Good luck!
makes a lot of sense but did you do that on a dually? if so did you have to replace both the rotor and the extension that pushes the front wheel out?

Also any issue with going 3 or 4 thousand miles with only one side changed over? i would really like to wait to do the other side till weather is a little more temperate.

Last edited by magnumak1; 02-06-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: additional ?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
magnumak1
Junior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Ill step up on my soap box...IMO stay clear of offshore garbage. Countless times I've had nothing but trouble with offshore crap. Yet we keep buying it, they keep sending it over in container ships while there economy thrives ours dies.
I don't want offshore junk in my American (Mexican, Canadian) Ford. Offshore is the only choice you have with the big box houses ALL of them not just car parts places. Read the labels where ever you go you'll see what I mean. Sure it has a life time warranty but you'll need to do the job at least twice with the free lifetime replacement part.
I needed front wheel bearings & seals on my 68, 442. All I could find was CHINA, INDIA, Mozambique, Pluto etc...not doing that to an American Muscle Car. Called BDI (bearing dist inc. google it) and they said yes they offer both offshore and USA. But they didn't offer the USA first I had to ask so they are just as guilty. Grand total to do both front axles shipped to my house was a $12 difference between junk and quality...really.
So all Im saying is how important is price when you have to do the job twice and likely put your life at risk with unregulated inferior auto/truck components....I step down off my box...
all good reasons, the korean hub is going back.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Originally Posted by magnumak1
makes a lot of sense but did you do that on a dually? if so did you have to replace both the rotor and the extension that pushes the front wheel out?

Also any issue with going 3 or 4 thousand miles with only one side changed over? i would really like to wait to do the other side till weather is a little more temperate.
Nope, mine isn't a dually. However, since the combination of a new rotor and hub puts everything in the right relation again as far as the brakes and wheel position, I don't see why it wouldn't work for a dually as well. Of course I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Obviously it's a good idea to replace both of them, but I don't see why you couldn't put one side off for a 3 or 4 thousand miles to wait for better weather.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
PSDlongbox
Elder User
Why oh why do people keep buying anything but Timken...

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Denola
Senior User
Originally Posted by PSDlongbox
Why oh why do people keep buying anything but Timken...
I can tell you one reason----$$$$$---The Timken bearing/hub assy will cost you over $400 each for a 2005-2010 SRW any place you want to price them. I just went through the pricing war. I just bought both sides for $280 with new flange studs, O'rings and lock rings. There are hardly any auto parts actually made in the US any more anyway. Even parts from Ford, Timken, Moog, BCA or anyone else. I used to feel the same way, but lately, I sometimes buy the cheaper if the other is over priced. I just priced a new Timken hub at Autozone to fit my 2008---$637 each. Duralast (same as I bought on-line), $399 each. I don't mind getting ripped a little, but that from tonsils to toe nails.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
drus136566
New User
I just did my right front, $225 from Advance, thought I was buying a better hub since it was a Moog. I was really disappointed when I saw made in Korea stamped in it. Last I knew Moog was an AMERICAN company. I needed it badly so I put it on. It came with mounting studs and a new o-ring, but i suspect it will not last me a year. Are Timkens still American Made?

Quick Reply: new front wheel unit bearing from korea