Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Grant Steering Wheel Adapter Problems

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 PM
JRB65
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grant Steering Wheel Adapter Problems

I installed a Grant steering wheel in my 74 F100 and there is a gap like the adapter is not allowing the steering wheel to be screwed in all the way. I got a Grant Adapter kit for the truck and the part number is 3285 and that is what Grant calls out for this truck. Has anyone had similar problems and if you did how did you fix it? Thanks for any help you can give with this...
JRB65

Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 AM
TexasTrash
Senior User
I looked at the instructions for the install, and you have at least that spring in the wrong spot. It goes under the horn cover, not the steering wheel.

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/4103249.pdf

Thats what it looks like to me.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 AM
JRB65
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasTrash
I looked at the instructions for the install, and you have at least that spring in the wrong spot. It goes under the horn cover, not the steering wheel.

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/4103249.pdf

Thats what it looks like to me.
When I took the Stock Steering wheel off there was a spring under the steering wheel that I think holds the Upper Steering Shaft Bering in place when you tighten down the steering wheel. If it wasnt in there the steering wheel would just flop around because there would be no pressure to hold the upper bering in place. At least on all the other trucks I have worked on thats the way they went together. The little spring that came with the Adapter kit is to hold the horn button out as far as I can tell from the instructions. Im begining to wonder if the Steering Shaft has somehow slipped out partially on the lower end where it hooks to the steering gear. That would cause the shaft to be to long on the inside where the steering wheel goes on. It was kind of late last night working on it and by that time tempers were short and we probably shouldn't have been working on it at that point. I will look at it with rested eyes this morning and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the info.

JRB65

Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought a Grant wheel last year they sold me an adapter kit that was listed on the back of the wheel's box as being correct for Fords of my year. After having some problems with it I called the factory # and they said I had the wrong kit for a pickup. Took mine back and got the right one and it went together ok. Grants website has all the kits listed and installation instructions as well as a tech hotline if you need it.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM
JRB65
Elder User
I knew I was tired last night in red letters on the instructions it tells you exactly what to do when you have a gap in the steering column. OOPS!!!

JRB65

Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 AM
TexasTrash
Senior User
Originally Posted by JRB65
When I took the Stock Steering wheel off there was a spring under the steering wheel that I think holds the Upper Steering Shaft Bering in place when you tighten down the steering wheel. If it wasnt in there the steering wheel would just flop around because there would be no pressure to hold the upper bering in place. At least on all the other trucks I have worked on thats the way they went together. The little spring that came with the Adapter kit is to hold the horn button out as far as I can tell from the instructions. Im begining to wonder if the Steering Shaft has somehow slipped out partially on the lower end where it hooks to the steering gear. That would cause the shaft to be to long on the inside where the steering wheel goes on. It was kind of late last night working on it and by that time tempers were short and we probably shouldn't have been working on it at that point. I will look at it with rested eyes this morning and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the info.

JRB65
I was just going off that diagram, and it doesnt show a spring under the steering wheel. I'v never had mine off, so I dont know whats under there.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Loosen the clamp that holds the steering column to the dash and (I think) there is clamp in the engine compartment that holds the column to the firewall. Now adjust the depth of the column relative to the steering wheel by pulling it up towards the wheel. Avoid stretching the rag joint.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM
JRB65
Elder User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Loosen the clamp that holds the steering column to the dash and (I think) there is clamp in the engine compartment that holds the column to the firewall. Now adjust the depth of the column relative to the steering wheel by pulling it up towards the wheel. Avoid stretching the rag joint.
Thats kinda what the red print in the instructions say to do without all the detail like you gave... Thanks for the info, and I really hate reading instructions...LOL

JRB65

Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by JRB65
Thats kinda what the red print in the instructions say to do without all the detail like you gave... Thanks for the info, and I really hate reading instructions...LOL

JRB65
DING!

...been there, done that.