Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 AM
New User

Awake79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
'07 Edge, Falling apart?

My wife's '07 Edge has a couple of problems. We've been to the local dealer twice in the last six months for front end issues, so we're hesitant to take it back there, and wondered if anyone out here might be of some help. Both issues related to when the engine is cold; First one being a loud hissing/squeaking noise coming from the engine compartment, but it is at its loudest on the passenger side, with the noise coming through the tire/rim. Its most prevalent when the engine is cold, and when there is a lot of humidity and moisture in the air. I thought it may have been an exhaust leak, or maybe a bad gasket, because as you drive down the road the rate of the hissing sound is consistent with the RPM, but when the sounds goes away after the engine heats up, I ruled that out. I thought maybe it sounded like a pulley, or belt going bad?

Other problem always seems to come from the passenger side on the front, and again, only when the car is cold. When we leave for work in the morning, and we back out of the driveway, we hit the brakes to look for traffic, and when we do, there is an incredible grinding noise coming from up there. Then, when we reach the end of our neighborhood, and apply the brakes again, same noise. These are the only two times it makes the noise, by the time we are hitting them again, the engine/car has warmed up and all seems to be fine. Both times we've had the car into the dealership they have said the brakes are fine. We are at a loss!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Postmaster

m-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant future
May I pass on a suggestion? If the dealer is telling you the brakes are fine, chances are they really are fine. They stand to make a profit by telling you they are bad and getting you to authorize the work if so. Just by what you describe tells me there really isn't anything to worry about. As a dealer tech, I haven't really seen any common issues with this vehicle myself, so if the dealer is telling you it's okay, don't call them out on it and leave it at that.
....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies
....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
New User

Awake79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well considering I don't really see anywhere in my message that I called them out on anything, thanks for your input.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Posting Guru

jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The hissing from the passenger side is the condenser. Prior to buying mine, I noticed that all of them I test drove did this when cold. I have 80k on mine now and it still does it, so I would say its normal. As for the brakes, not sure.
1977 F-150 4" lift 35/12.50-15 6 year project almost complete
Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Posting Guru

merlynr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Your brakes may be getting a film of rust on them(the rotors) when sitting in damp humid weather and it takes a couple of braking actions to shine them up again.
07 Edge SEL+ fwd
Old 12-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Senior User

db_tanker is starting off with a positive reputation.
front, passenger side?

condenser as was suggested by jswartz or it could also be the serpentine belt just being cold as well. how long has it been since you changed it?

the grinding...do you have an asphalt/cement driveway? or do you live down a dirt road?

could be debris caught up on your rotor there up front. check the backing plate on the hub to see if its bent. might be letting crud get back behind the rotor.

2005 F-150 SCAB XLT 4.6
Flowmaster and an Edge Evo
2" lvl kit and 285/75-17 TA-KO's
"an underpowered pig that can't get out of it's own way"

Vitesse Et Puissance

NRA
TSRA
Old 12-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers