General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Question for the gun guys...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the gun guys...

Why is it that you cannot get an NICS run before purchasing a firearm? I'm being told by multiple FFL's, both online and in Indiana, that I have to "buy the gun" first. That makes no sense. Why put out the cash if I can't buy?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
doesn't it cost the FFL dealer money when he does the check? If so,he has no way to get his money back if you can't/won't buy a gun from him.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Yes the FFL has his fee and I'm willing to pay that. I've asked for the NICS to be run before the purchase but to no avail.

Being required to purchase the gun first, before they run the NICS, just doesn't make sense. Seems like it should be the other way around.

Does anybody know why they do it this way?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by fz1dave
Yes the FFL has his fee and I'm willing to pay that. I've asked for the NICS to be run before the purchase but to no avail.

Being required to purchase the gun first, before they run the NICS, just doesn't make sense. Seems like it should be the other way around.

Does anybody know why they do it this way?
Because, like everything about gun buying/ownership, they want to make it as inconvenient, annoying, aggravating, and expensive, as possible. The way they see it, the more likely you are to say screw it, and give up, the better.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
You should know if you can pass the background check. Its against the law to try to buy a gun if you know you can't pass. By making you buy first, you have broken federal law before the check is run & are up for 5 years of jail time.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No dealer has ever taken my money prior to approval.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Here in OK I had to be ready to buy the gun at the same time that the NICS check was done. I could not walk out of the door with the gun until the NICS call was complete. When i asked if i could just do the back ground check and then purchase a gun on a later date i was told that is not possible, because there is a chance that someone could fall into the category of Federal Categories of Persons Prohibited From Receiving. Nowadays, with all the people "snapping" and doing crazy bad things it makes sense to me.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I never paid for a gun before the check. I did make a deal on the gun but I didn't pay till after the check. I had to wait 7 days on my last 2 gun buys due to the heavy number of checks being made. I paid for my gun the day I took it home.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure this will answer your question; however...

If you can 'pass' the questions on the form, you are qualified (allowed?) to purchase. The NICS check only verifies that you have not committed a felony nor domestic violence or stalking.

The form must have the serial number(s) of the gun(s) and are submitted via the call. Now while I've never paid until the call has been completed and the folks on the other end say 'proceed', my understanding is that the other outcomes can be 'delayed' (in which case your name and/or birth date is the same as someone who does not 'qualify') and is usually worked out in a few days or 'denied', in which case you either lied on the form, weren't aware of something in your past, or need to get something straightened out.

I think I failed to mention that the form and serial numbers are more for the purpose of ATF audits of the FFL holder than for your clearence. FFL holders will be audited by ATF frequently and if there is just one weapon unaccounted for, the penalty is severe.

On edit: if you are curious about the questions: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
wilcam47
Senior User
Originally Posted by kw5413
No dealer has ever taken my money prior to approval.
I pick the gun I want and then the dealer does the nics check...If I'm good which I am then I pay for the firearm...Unless you have a CCW Permit which bypasses NICS check then Its just cash and carry...in Idaho

Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 PM
vman
Elder User
I wish a ccw permit would negate a background check in ohio.Last gun show I went to they were so busy the dealers were saying at least a half hour to do a check.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never given any dealer the money before they ran the check. If a dealer wants your money before he'll call NICS then find another dealer.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had one run last Wednesday.
They ran it before completing the registration at the gun counter.
When I was cleared the sale was registered.
A store employee carried the rifle to the front register where I paid and he handed it to me at the door.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Herman nailed it with the part about the gun information being required for the background check. unless the form is COMPLETELY filled out, they won't do teh background check and that includes ALL the firearm information.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The rifle was selected and was there at the counter when my background was checked.
I didn't notice them entering anything about it until after they were told that they could "proceed" with my transaction.
The background check was done on a computer there at the counter.
When it was finished a separate page was generated with some information on it and the word "PROCEED" prominently displayed in the middle of the page.

I've been told that there have been times that a notification to delay a customer has appeared on the computer screen.
That has been followed by an appearance of FBI agents and local PD officers.
They come into the store and surround the individual at the counter.

Quick Reply: Question for the gun guys...