1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Patch panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
bsteele52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patch panels

Well I am trying my hand at patch panels today. The whole ps front corner of the cab needs rebuilding. Surprisingly the rockers are in great shape though. I have everything cut out and getting ready to try to put it back together. Did I mention I have never welded before. This should be interesting. Pictures to follow.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Unless you need to sell the truck for top dollar to pay for a life-saving operation, I'm sure the results are going to be just fine. You'll get better with experience so I would suggest you do one patch completely before moving on to the next. Go slow and practice just a bit before going 'live' on your truck.

DW

Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And remember, your working with thin sheet metal, it is best to tack weld your patches in to minimize warping, then tack between the first tacks, then again and again until it is welded in solid. Your finished results will be much better.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM
bsteele52
Senior User
I tried to put the pictures in the post,but for some reason it just will not work tonight. I updated my albums and gallery with the pictures. They are certaily not pretty, but most of it will be covered. I hope they hold!!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
If you're looking for pre-made patch panels Northern Classic Trucks makes pieces the entire corner of the cab. Since you've never welded before I'm assuming you have never made patch panels:

Ford Truck Parts and Repair Panels for your classic truck at Northern Classic Trucks

Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I couldn't find the pic in your gallery. Which album is it in? I won't pretend to be a master welder and give you advice in that arena. You may already know this, but be cautious when you repair a panel anywhere new a moving part or important body seam. "such as a door". Things can really move around when you are welding in patches, if they didn't already when the panel rusted out.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
bsteele52
Senior User
In the albums I think it is in the one titled Fat manIFS install. I know things can move and as rusty as it was things probably had moved. I just hope things will line back up. If not I will drop back and punt.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bsteele52
In the albums I think it is in the one titled Fat manIFS install. I know things can move and as rusty as it was things probably had moved. I just hope things will line back up. If not I will drop back and punt.
No quitting allowed here Bryan.

Just make sure you square things up, tack in a temp brace, install the door, use clamps, whatever it takes to line stuff up before you finalize panel welds. Just checked out the PIC. Not a bad first attempt at all.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
My one bit of advice. Don't butt weld panels together, especially if you've never welded panels together before. I've doing body work for many years, some professionally, mostly on my own stuff. I've always lap welded panels. What I mean by this is I overlap the sheet metal by about a 1/4" and then spot weld about 2" apart and then spot weld in between each spot weld until you pretty much have a solid weld.

In my present project I read a bunch of posts about butt welding was the best way so I decided to try it. Yeah, if you have a whole weekend of 10 hour days or get paid by the hour to do one stupid panel. The argument is that butt welds are easier to work with and lap weld are places for rust to form. This, IMO, is total BS. After blowing through the metal numerous times the inside panel has a thousand bits of welding wire jutting through the other side and no way to get at them. There is a place for rust to start.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
My one bit of advice. Don't butt weld panels together, especially if you've never welded panels together before. I've doing body work for many years, some professionally, mostly on my own stuff. I've always lap welded panels. What I mean by this is I overlap the sheet metal by about a 1/4" and then spot weld about 2" apart and then spot weld in between each spot weld until you pretty much have a solid weld.

In my present project I read a bunch of posts about butt welding was the best way so I decided to try it. Yeah, if you have a whole weekend of 10 hour days or get paid by the hour to do one stupid panel. The argument is that butt welds are easier to work with and lap weld are places for rust to form. This, IMO, is total BS. After blowing through the metal numerous times the inside panel has a thousand bits of welding wire jutting through the other side and no way to get at them. There is a place for rust to start.
An easy way to stop "blow through" is to take a chunk of copper tubing and flatten it out, then either clamp or use a magnet to hold it behind your joint to be welded. small holes can be plug welded with this same method.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Have you read AX Racers article on MIG welding

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-practice.html

Read this, get some scrap metal and spend a day practising

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
I have always butt welded patches in, but it can be tedious with a MIG welder. You need to try to find a way to seal up the backside no matter what method you use, or it will be a potential future spot for future rust (in most climates anyway).

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Bob, I saw your post on the HAMB and agree for the most part...lap welding is much easier with a mig. Especially if you have a panel flanger. I do it both ways, usually butt....depends on the job. With butt welding, getting the patch to fit right is half the battle. Very time consuming..

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Bob

What is your welding setup? Welder? Are you using .023 wire? 75/25 Argon/CO2 shielding gas?

Just curious. I'm not trying to pretend butt welding sheetmetal is simple because it isn't. Just curious if you are making it harder than it needs to be somehow.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
dmack91
Elder User
I had to patch the same corner on my 50 (never done body work until this truck). I bought the patch panels (I had to do the hinge pillar too) from Classic Haulers. It went fairly smoothly. I had to re-contour the angled portion that will be behind the front fender ( had to cut a wedge out of it to get the angles right), but it went pretty smoothly.

Also, check the other side closely. They collected all kinds of crud when the drain holes got plugged. I thought my driver's side was solid until I started sanding, then I found the pin-holes. I had enough material left over from the passenger side panel to make a panel for the driver's side too.

Quick Reply: Patch panels