1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Rotation and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Denola
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Rotation and TPMS

I've got tires that need to be rotated on my 2008 SD 4x4---the front are dipping a little. Mine has the band type sensors and I installed new ones when I bought the truck and put on new tires. Will I have to take the truck back to the tire shop and get the sensors re-trained or not if I move them. I plan on moving them from front to rear on the same side to keep the same rotation. Some of you guys have some good advice the rest of us need to hear on this subject, thanks, Dennis

Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Racer5349
Posting Guru
I just rotated tires on a 2012 F350. There is a section in the owners manual that gave instructions for me to retrain them. Turn key on, but don't start engine, turn hazard lights on and off 3 times, let air out of left front tire until horn beeps, move to RF tire, same procedure, then RR, and LR last. Maybe your '08 is similar? Then fill tire to recommended pressure.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
jroberts257
Senior User
Sounds pretty simple. Most little shops around here will rotate tires for free though. I take it they dont do that where your at?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM
maadman
Senior User
Not sure what you mean when you say the tires are "dipping". Are they wearing in dipping spots in the tread or are they going flat and losing pressure. Not sure what the sensor issue is about but the only vehicle we have is my wife's Fusion that has pressure sensors and we haven't had any problems in 48K miles.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have rotated my tires many times in 86,000 miles and have never had to relearn the TPMS. It seems to do it by itself.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
If you are just rotating the tires....they do not have to be "retrained". Only if you had a flat and used your spare or put a different tire on. I do tires all the time on the band type sensors....never a problem

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Denola
Senior User
maddman---I've got Wrangler Authority load range E tires on my truck----they maintain the correct pressure always and have never had the light to come on since I installed them and replaced the sensors. As far as "dipping", they are starting the normal wear pattern on front that aggressive tread will do after several mile after being run on the front. I just want to move the smooth tires on the rear to the front before it gets any worse.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Racer5349
Posting Guru
I have a 2012 F-350 that I rotated stock wheels and tires at 7,000 miles and never gave the TPMS a thought. At 10,000 miles it tripped the warning light.

Scanned from my owners manual........

Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I find this sad. Ford used to build trucks.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Denola
Senior User
I knew that you gents had some good info on this----its been a great help! All the mandated crap the powers-that-be imposed on Ford and other manufacturers have made maintaining a truck a pain sometimes. Mine is a 08' gas but I drive trucks with the Re-Gen and that's a pain in the _____( neck). It takes a lot of fun out of driving for me, always got something new going on. You all feel the same?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Denola
I knew that you gents had some good info on this----its been a great help! All the mandated crap the powers-that-be imposed on Ford and other manufacturers have made maintaining a truck a pain sometimes. Mine is a 08' gas but I drive trucks with the Re-Gen and that's a pain in the _____( neck). It takes a lot of fun out of driving for me, always got something new going on. You all feel the same?

Not so much taking the fun out of the drive but I am "the" mechanic for the family fleet of everything I am getting very tired of all the extra junk on trucks now days. That and the trucks are so heavy off the lot that you can't haul anything without having dual wheels. Still **** poor gas mileage (we were promised all trucks will get 20mpg by the year 200*). Still junk 4x4 systems. Still no rust prevention. Still cost more than a house! With all this "new technology" and "built ford tough" we still can't find a newer truck that can do everything our 1990's trucks can do and hold up. They can't haul the weight we haul in the 90's, they don't get any better mileage, the ESOF 4x4 is a joke, no manual transmissions any more, it makes me sick. Over the last 20 years ford has improved absolutely NOTHING in their trucks. They have only made them worse.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Sebs
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by CPaulsen
If you are just rotating the tires....they do not have to be "retrained".

True if tire pressure is the same front and rear. On my 2008 recommended is different front and rear.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Denola
Senior User
My sticker show two different pressures for front and rear----I figured to adjust the pressures when I did the rotation----won't that take care of it? By the way, I mounted the tires myself and installed the sensors----took it to a local tire shop to have them programed----they charged my $30 to program them---if I take the truck back after I rotate them, they'll want another $30. Some idiot had knock the sensors off when the last set of tires were installed, and they were floating around in the tires (with light on)----that's why I did the mounting.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Just adjust the pressures front and rear before you start the truck and you will be fine.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Sebs
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Denola
My sticker show two different pressures for front and rear----I figured to adjust the pressures when I did the rotation----won't that take care of it?

If you move the sensors from the back to the front the computer will think that the fronts are now the ones that should have the higher pressure so when you lower it to the correct pressure the light will come on. The retraining is to tell the computer where each sensor is so that it knows which sensor readings should have the higher pressure and which should have the lower reading. The pickup came new with the device that resets the computer. If you don't have it, you'll have to find some one that has it. It takes less than 5 minutes to do it. I wouldn't think a tire shop would charge much if anything to do it. $30 seems pretty unreasonable.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation and TPMS