1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

THE OLE C4 and C6 Questions

Old 05-29-2003, 12:21 PM
f10070302
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before anyone says anything about previous post I just want to say I have read through a lot of them but after awhile it seems no one else checks them and responds to additional questions. So I am going to post this same question again and see if the feelings have changed. OK

I have a 70 F-100 Custom
302 2v That’s been worked over
C4

I bought the truck in 1995 after an engine rebuild. Two years later I had the C4 transmission rebuilt, due to it skipping second. A year and half later reverse and third were lost. I picked up a FMX CHEAP and tried to mount that knowing I would have drive shaft problems. I got the FMX mounted to find that it didn’t work. Suspected busted pump. I left it in so I could keep the starter in because it set two years with out being started. It started after I put a little gas down her throat I got her to fire and with in 20 min she was idling. But I faced with the Transmission dilemma. Should I get FMX rebuilt and how do I address the shifter linkage problem or do I find a C6 or do I get my original C4 rebuilt and beefed up. I don’t plan to use this truck as a daily driver or as a work truck, she’s going back show quality.

My other concern is for almost 2 years the truck was never started. For 6 years the truck hasn’t been able to be driven. I start the truck up about every six months or so. It doesn’t take much to get her started, I have a few ignition problems and she’s coughed fire back though the carb a few times when I was first getting her running again, so I know I need to rebuild the carb. But does anybody think pulling the engine and overhauling it is necessary. I don’t have the budget to put into the engine to do it they way I want it. Any advised would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by f10070302; 05-29-2003 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:03 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 351 Likes on 282 Posts

she’s going back show quality
and

I don't have the money to do the engine the way I want
are pretty much non-compatible. If you don't have the money to even rebuild the motor, then "show quality" may be out of reach. I am not flaming you, just want you to recognize what is realistic.

Now, having said all that, it would seem what you really want, at this time, is to get it on the road. Show quality can come later.

Given that as a goal, I would either put in another FMX, since you apparantly have already made some modifications to accomodate it, or go back to the C4.

There is no reason to do another modification to get it to a C6 since you do not seem to need the extra stoutness of the C6. That, and finding a C6 to fit a 302 bellhousing is sorta tough.

Old 05-29-2003, 06:35 PM
8NRay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are really going back to 'show quality' then you should stick with the C4 it came with.
You didn't mention how many miles have been put on the engine since it was rebuilt.
It doesn't sound like you have many on it so I would opt to not rebuild the engine and put your
money in a rebuilt C4. It is a good serviceable tranny. Either have your old one rebuilt by
a reputable re-builder that will give you a warranty or exchange it for a rebuilt one.
The worst thing that can happen to any vehicle is to just let it sit. I'm speaking from experience.
Get it drivable and take it out for a drive, if not every weekend, at least every other one when
possible.
Gasoline does go bad over time and won't run an engine very well. Overhauling the carb would
be on the list of things to do too.