JenniSAnanna
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do thank you. Let me know if there are more things I need to check

Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Oi IB Tim anything look fishy in the last few posts?... Might just be me.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 PM
JenniSAnanna
New User
Concerning the 88 Econoline- exhaust leak
Exhaust gasses the whole outside of the van.
checked for cracks and bad welds on the muffler system. found none.
Drove the van for 45 minutes then went under the van and the muffler, pipes and catalytic converter were warm but not hot. The van as a thumping sound at acceleration but not at idle?
Is that exhaust valve out? Crack in the manifold? will it get me from Kentucky to Colorado?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM
JenniSAnanna
New User
Question

Hey these threads are hard to navigate.
I was long time 72 Ford F150 owner & lover..especially 357 Cleveland & Ranchero.
I am looking at a 88 econoline van. I want it to move my things from Colorado to Kentucky. It has a 302 engine in a dog house that I have NO experience with.
The van has an exhaust leak that hits you hard from the side doors back. No smoke just smell. Smells like it's running way rich. I crawled under sighted & felt the exhaust system and muffler & catalytic converter but found no visible weld breaks or rust. AND the exhaust system was hot but touchable after a 45 minute drive and idle.??????
I hear a thumping sound when the engine is pulling but the sound goes away at idle.
My concern is that the exhaust leak is coming from the manifold or exhaust valve and the engine will loose pressure and quit half way to Colorado.

I realy want this van. 1. to move my things in. 2. I want to convert it into the "party" vans of my youth with padded walls a bed in the back, 8 track, TV and Xbox.. A hide away self contained fort man cave for the son-in law's chemo medical adventure...and well revisit my cruising days. Just in a 1988 not a 1960 something.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The posts by look like they should be someplace other
then here don't you think.

Sean
P.S. I watched as I was on the way home for an out of gas Bronco.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
jenni, you'll have much better luck posting your van questions here 1968 - Present Full Size Vans - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - thats the van specific section of FTE where you'll get lots of help. good luck

Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Yahiko
The posts by look like they should be someplace other
then here don't you think.

Sean
P.S. I watched as I was on the way home for an out of gas Bronco.
I made it home just fine actually. Probably a bit less than 1/4 tank.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks like you are getting directed to the correct forum so we may get you the help you need....enjoy
Originally Posted by JenniSAnanna
Hey these threads are hard to navigate.
I was long time 72 Ford F150 owner & lover..especially 357 Cleveland & Ranchero.
I am looking at a 88 econoline van. I want it to move my things from Colorado to Kentucky. It has a 302 engine in a dog house that I have NO experience with.
The van has an exhaust leak that hits you hard from the side doors back. No smoke just smell. Smells like it's running way rich. I crawled under sighted & felt the exhaust system and muffler & catalytic converter but found no visible weld breaks or rust. AND the exhaust system was hot but touchable after a 45 minute drive and idle.??????
I hear a thumping sound when the engine is pulling but the sound goes away at idle.
My concern is that the exhaust leak is coming from the manifold or exhaust valve and the engine will loose pressure and quit half way to Colorado.

I realy want this van. 1. to move my things in. 2. I want to convert it into the "party" vans of my youth with padded walls a bed in the back, 8 track, TV and Xbox.. A hide away self contained fort man cave for the son-in law's chemo medical adventure...and well revisit my cruising days. Just in a 1988 not a 1960 something.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Alright so I got my new PC all set up. I can show off the pictures.

When I arrived the second time.

After I ordered.

The delicious food.

The food was really good, albeit a bit expensive but good nonetheless.

I also have a few pics from the adventure I went on while I was waiting for time to pass.

This was on one of the trails I took and the view was pretty nice

Same as above but looking down the hill.

And finally, I found this tiny creek flowing through and thought this looked cool

About 50 feet past that area I slipped and fell, almost got myself all muddy

Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
whats happening boys?

i had a fun morning, went out to fire up the van to go to work, and it just cranked and cranked, but refused to come to life. WTS light came on normally, but there was something not right. something tipped me off to a GP issue, so i started chasing wires and found that the wires powering the GP controller had failed. i checked on both sides of the connector that normally melts down, and it had power, but not at the controller. so i found a 6 foot piece of 4ga wire hanging on a hook in the workshop and connected that up to get the job done. worked fine, but its not a suitable wire to stay there for too long.

made for a rather stressful morning, and an hour late to see my clients.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Not much here Josh, got my new computer all fully set up. Last thing I need is a chair, I am using another spare computer to sit on It isn't the most comfortable. Sucks to hear your van had more troubles, my long drive from here to Kirkland did something to the neutral safety switch and caused TGM not to start in Park but only neutral... It seems to have fixed itself though cause today I went to run errands and it was fine.

Also there is a new meet thread if you didn't know already. No ideas have come up yet but it's still late Feb.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
i swear man, if its not one thing its another! what a day, after i got to my second job today it started hailing pretty good, as i'm getting on the road to leave my mother calls me with a dead battery, then my phone quits and won't respond. so i'm running late, trying to drive way too fast in this snow/hail mess on the road, while taking my phone apart to drop the battery so i can bring it back to life and help my mother, while driving like hell to get to the next appointment i'm late to.

but at least the van just needs a wire and its back to working right. the wire i tossed on there for now isn't roadworthy, but it has me on the road until i get a proper wire, and tonight thats good enough for me.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well, good luck tomorrow dude.. Hopefully everything goes well.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
tomorrow shouldn't be too bad, got 2 jobs up in marysville and meeting with some guys in the evening, so hopefully it won't be too bad - as long as i don't kill anything else

Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
JenniSAnanna
New User
Thank You for the shove in the right direction. Peace Jen

Quick Reply: February General Thread