6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Trucks & Tractors

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trucks & Tractors

For those in this community who also own a diesel tractor... Do you find yourself comparing the two?

Tractors are all about pulling and a truck like the Super Duty edges over into the realm of what a tractor does. I can park the tractor and get into my truck for a seamless transition from power to... well, power.

If you don't have a tractor well that's too bad, but I think it helps me appreciate what a great truck the Ford Super Duty is. For tractor owners I highly recommend Tractorbynet.com. A very informative site with some great people. (no endorsements here by the way).

Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Are you talking farm tractor or road tractor? Here was my last one:

Company-owned but assigned to me. Turned it in around November 2009 and never seen since.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny you ask. I was trying to pull a tree out of the way after I pushed it over with the backhoe. Had a big root ball and tractor just spun all 4 wheels. My son, who has a 2100 GMC diesel, said "let me have a crack at it". I just laughed and said go ahead. He hooked up to it with a tow strap and it wouldn't budge. He had all 4 wheels spinning too. So, being the lumberjack I am, I partially cut the tree about 12 feet from the root and stuck the saw. Told him to give another try. Stupid me was standing in the wrong place when the tree gave way. The root dug in, the trunk swung around 180 degrees taking me and the 500 gal propane tank down with it. Thought my leg was broken but was able to get up and wonder what the hell just happened. Leg is real pretty now where it was hit.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
XPD77
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a John Deere 4610 diesel utility tractor and that thing is worth its weight in gold. I don't do a lot of towing with it, mostly lifting, carrying, and mowing, but I have pulled out a few stuck vehicles with it. I've yet to pull anything with my F350. Looking forward to it though.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, don't laugh. I have a JD 2210 tractor. It's just a 22 horse hydrostatic and we have a tiller, bucket, mower deck, bush hog, and blade, and rake. It's pretty small but does do some big work.

Moving trees, yes, it does that very well but root ***** are too much for it, but not too much for my truck!

Sgrol, I'm very glad to hear you're okay. I've worked disaster relief from tornado damage (Birmingham) and fallen trees, chain saws, tractors, and trucks can easily hurt people as you now know. Very dangerous work.

I do use the two (truck and tractor) together quite often. They both make me happy!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 AM
riden82
Senior User
about 4 years ago i found a john deere 950 4X4 (late 80s) with only 186 orginal hours on it with a front end loader, got an AMAZING deal on it, I have never really thought of comparing the two cuz of a 20 something year differance. I do know i was interested to see what the tractor would do running the ULSD in a late 80s diesel didnt seem to make a differance in anything. I do have a photo attached with my truck/tractor/trailer.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 AM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Well, don't laugh. I have a JD 2210 tractor. It's just a 22 horse hydrostatic and we have a tiller, bucket, mower deck, bush hog, and blade, and rake. It's pretty small but does do some big work.

Moving trees, yes, it does that very well but root ***** are too much for it, but not too much for my truck!

Sgrol, I'm very glad to hear you're okay. I've worked disaster relief from tornado damage (Birmingham) and fallen trees, chain saws, tractors, and trucks can easily hurt people as you now know. Very dangerous work.

I do use the two (truck and tractor) together quite often. They both make me happy!
Thanks. I know better and, working 30+ years in oilfield, have had plenty of safety training. I'm sure the man upstairs was taking care of me.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
I agree on the safety concerns, tractors are to be respected. They're easier to roll than one might think. It's also easy to get some wheels in the air by pulling or lifting.

The FEL bucket is basic, forks on the FEL are very handy, a grapple would be nice, and the 3PT attachements go on and on. I use an 8" chipper (3PT PTO) that saves having to rent one.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya Steve, I didn't mean to assume that you had no experience. Working with trees already fallen is one of the worst possible situations, very stressful work.

There's a pic in my galleries somewhere of my truck (2008 I don't have anymore) dragging a pine tree root ball. It was fun.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM
maverick22
Elder User
I don't have a diesel truck, but my tractors are diesel...about the only comparison I make is what a PIA the tractors are to start when it's cold out! Truck? Fires right up regardless. Though it sounds like I'd be saying the same thing w/ 6.7 as well. Guess that's Ford vs. IH for you.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
bsfarmer
Senior User
Hell I have a Case IH STX 325, MX 275, 7088, 1456, MX 110, DX 40, Case 580K Backhoe, JD 870, Grasshopper 325D, two Mack CH 613's, which add up to over 2100hp of machinery. I still have a hard time justifying a diesel pickup. I've had them in the past, but for the money I have a hard time paying an extra $8K for a diesel option. I've been trying to talk myself into a new 6.7 but if I really have to convince myself, I really don't need it after all. Especially when new gassers are near 400hp and are pretty much bulletproof. I guess if there's something too heavy for my pickup, I just hop in one of my Macks and hook up the drop deck and have at it.

But truck vs tractor...there's no comparison IMO.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by ruschejj

I also have a 2210, great tractor.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
My last gasser was a Tundra. It ran like a spotted-assed-ape but couldn't hold a candle to the SD when pulling a heavy trailer. This is my favorite little 4wd. I use it for lot cleanup. The 2-speed electric PTO is perfect for running a 3PT chipper. Euro (Alo) quick attach changes buckets in about a minute.

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
That's a similar size tractor I have been wanting or maybe a size or two larger depending on loader size.
One of these days.
The local JD place has had the same few new tractors on their lot for over a year and a half but they won't budge on pricing.
Drives me crazy but they can do whatever they want, it's a free country.
I could take one of their hands for many, many thousands less if they wanted...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Originally Posted by kper05
That's a similar size tractor I have been wanting or maybe a size or two larger depending on loader size.
One of these days.
The local JD place has had the same few new tractors on their lot for over a year and a half but they won't budge on pricing.
Drives me crazy but they can do whatever they want, it's a free country.
I could take one of their hands for many, many thousands less if they wanted...
Same here. My dealer had a buyer for this Branson but wouldn't budge on a new Kioti. The Texas farming/ranching economy is hurting so are the tractor/implement dealers. Kioti has some financing and rebate incentives but the dealer won't pitch in. I'll just keep the Branson, it's been a good tractor and is heavier than the 35hp Kioti.

These are two Korean tractors. Both build engines for Cummins (Kukje). Rock solid diesels. Strangely the oil doesn't blacken any more than a gasoline engine.

Quick Reply: Trucks & Tractors