Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Junior User

hobbs53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sound insulation

Hey guys...I tried going through the search option thinking there's GOT to be a blog addressing sound/heat insulation for a build....but can't find anything.
Any experience you guys have on insulating the cab (specifically my '59 Fridge), I'm all ears. Looks like Dynamat is the most expensive; Peal and Seal from Lowes melts in the sun........any other thoughts/options. She's pretty loud right now (there's NO cloth in the cab, so she resonates....!
Thanks
Scott
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Elder User

larryb346 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used rattletrapXXX and it has done very well. It went on easy, has remained stuck and is odorless. It made a tremendous difference in the interior noise. I did the entire inside , roof, rear of cab, inside doors and the floors. It went from sounding like I was inside a tin can to as quite as a modern car.
Larry
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Junior User

Thanks Larry...I'll look into that!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Elder User

fking1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 55 used Frost King from Home Depot.
It is made for wrapping hot water tanks and works well, very reasonable.
Put Dynamat on my 70 Vette with 3M undercoat spray first. Very costly and didn't make much difference in sound with the headers and flowmasters, heat insulation is very good.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Elder User

ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dynomat is what I used, great stuff, very user friendly. Cuts easily, is flexible, and sticks well. It's great for the tranny cover, master brake cylinder door and similar applications. Also EXPENSIVE
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Junior User

Thanks guys...really appreciate your thoughts. I'm also trying to decide what to put down over the deadening material on the floor....thought about just rubber floor mats, but they won't cover all the material up the firewall and under the seat...what do people use to edge carpet...make a nice, clean edge by the doors, etc?
actually thought about spraying Rhino Liner over the sound insulation material on the floor but don't know if that'll work.....
Thanks again guys!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Post Fiend

fatfenders is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are some far less expensive options for sound deadener than dyno mat. Check out audio forums for current products. Gutterguard is a aluminum over tar product that works awesome for the price. You don't need 100 percent coverage for it to help alot. Available at any home supply store such as Lowes. Follow with a well padded carpet. Spray undercoat under the cab. My 53 is extremely quite in the cab. It also weighs 50+ extra pounds in the process.

Rhino liner is tough, but no so much a sound deadener compared to other products.
94 Mustang GT
347 Stroker- Not Slow
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Posting Guru

theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Scott; Here is a link to the products I used, along with some interesting information.Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information
And heres some more reading material on this web site.
B-Quiet sound deadening materials - Installs
Good luck in your quest!

For Ford the third time was the charm
Third generation Ford truck 57-60
1959 F250 4x4
Wally
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Posting Guru

carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I saw 3M has come out with their version. I've yet to have a 3M product that I wasn't totally satisfied with. I have Fat-Mat in mine, but I'll wait until I put on a less challenging exhaust before I give an opinion on it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Senior User

Aus56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Aus56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hello,

I am interested in this also. Some time ago I read the page from that link, the sound deadener showdown. It certainly sounds good, and it is interesting he says you don't have to totally line the inside of your cab, smaller sections of several different products working together will give a superior result.

It certainly sounds good, I wonder if someone here has tried him out to give a definitive answer.

Nev
My old girl has the original look, which I do love. I would like to customise the body of my truck, but don't have the nerve to pull it apart for a significant custom rebuild. Long live the darkside and those with the courage to travel there.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Elder User

Project-55 has a very good reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a very good reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a very good reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I used dyna-mat on my friends 50 and it works great, it;s very quiet and sounds like a bank vault when you rap on the outside skin. But it is a bit heavy, the 72 sq ft we put in his cab added 52 lbs.

Another friend used lizardskin sprayon and it has worked very well also. he applied 2 coats of the heat shield and another 2 coats of sound deadener to his 29 tudor. we calculated it out as about 78 to 80 sq ft and when we were done it added a wopping 80 lbs of weight and the cost was almost as much as the dyna-mat,,,, both ended up costing about 4 bills.

The dyna mat was easyier to put interior finishings over because it's smooth and level where as the lizardskin was a bit rough and irregular.

My Friends Build 1950 f1
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...950-f-1-a.html
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Posting Guru

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
This is what I used when I did my 1960. I am very happy with the results and the price was much better than dyno matt

RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Freshman User

greenehoosier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go to the junkyard and rip some out of a late model luxury car- free or close to it! My last build I used deadener from a late model lincoln on the floor, inside the doors, package tray and under (actually instead of) the headliner. I used 3m headliner contact cement to stick it to it!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Here is a good article about insulation. You can cut the Dynamat into strips and it does what is supposed to do, then foil covered insulation on top. Cheaper than all Dynamat.
Dynamat Insulation Install - Custom Classic Trucks Magazine
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am using the firewall cover from Quiet Ride Solutions. They custom make the cover for each vechicle and it is top of the line stuff. I am also going to get the rest of their insulation package for the cab.

QuietRide Solutions

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks