Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
New User

szywicki is starting off with a positive reputation.
aftermarket tow package - ford edge 2009

I need to add 3,500 lb or more towing to my ford edge. Obviously I need the hitch and harness but do I also need an oil and cooler? How about a transmission cooler?

I don't want the receiver/hitch to hang too low and look poor. Do I need to get the FORD OEM receiver/hitch in order to make sure it doesn't hang too low?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Elder User

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
The first question is what do you plan on towing with it? The Edge only has a 2000-3500 lb towing capacity depending on the model, and will probably have frontal area limits as well. it will not take much to put an edge over towing limits and your comfort level. You will definitely want a transmission cooler, and brake controller as well.
John FTEMaB #5

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, Hellwig rear sway bar, 08 Towing Mirrors, Roadmaster Active Suspension, 6.0 Cooler, 3/8" Derale thermostat (Removed Transmission running too hot).
Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Elder User

BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szywicki View Post
I need to add 3,500 lb or more towing to my ford edge. Obviously I need the hitch and harness but do I also need an oil and cooler? How about a transmission cooler?

I don't want the receiver/hitch to hang too low and look poor. Do I need to get the FORD OEM receiver/hitch in order to make sure it doesn't hang too low?

Trade it in on an excursion?
02 Excursion, Limited, Black/Tan, 7.3L, Auto, 4x4, Volant Stage 2 Air Intake, Unknown Custom Tune, AIH Delete, 31 Row 6.0L Transmission Cooler, Banks 6.0L Intercooler With Banks 7.3L Tubes, 08 Heated / Signal Mirrors, 08 Custom Fender Vents, 08 F350 Front Seats & Console, 08 20" HD Rims, Thule Tracker II Roof Rack Rails and Feet, IronCross HD Running Boards, Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Head Unit, Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar, V/Moded B code Springs.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
New User

szywicki is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence105 View Post
The first question is what do you plan on towing with it? The Edge only has a 2000-3500 lb towing capacity depending on the model, and will probably have frontal area limits as well. it will not take much to put an edge over towing limits and your comfort level. You will definitely want a transmission cooler, and brake controller as well.
I want to buy a 20' fiberglass ski/fish boat. 3,500 lbs worth. The Edge I have is AWD with up to 3500 towing capacity when properly equiped. Unfortuntely it wasn't properly equiped from the factory. I only plan on driving short distances to the local lakes but don't want to do anything stupid. The mechanics I'm dealing with don't seem to know what the proper equipment is either.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Elder User

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
I'd check your payload first, it will be on your door sticker. Take that number and subtract the weight of everything in your edge that didn't come from the factory including people. To see what kind of hitch weight you can handle. If the hitch weight of your boat is similar to that of trailers you can expect a tongue weight of about 525 lbs my google puts the payload of the edge at 900 lbs giving you 375 lbs for people and cargo in the car.

If you are within that range you will want to install the hitch and brake controller. The edge should have a transmission cooler in the radiator but double check. If you have the sport the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs (bigger wheels less ground clearance). You will probably want a weight distribution hitch to keep the front tires on the ground.

Anytime you tow at the upper limit of your vehicles towing capacity you will have challenges. Take it easy on it, give yourself lots of space to stop, try to avoid traffic, only use good boat launches (your boat will almost weigh as much as your car), and get a FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE.
John FTEMaB #5

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, Hellwig rear sway bar, 08 Towing Mirrors, Roadmaster Active Suspension, 6.0 Cooler, 3/8" Derale thermostat (Removed Transmission running too hot).
Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Moving this from the Excursion forum down to the Crossovers forum that covers the Edge.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Freshman User

holyshift is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just bought an 08' Edge AWD myself. Was going to throw a hitch on it and such to tow my race car,then seen its rated at 3,500,which isnt enough for what I need. I see people doing it,but Iam not trying to hurt the car for no reason. I foresee a tow beater in my future.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Elder User

Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe the tow package includes the hitch and wiring, along with a larger transmission cooler. When I bought the '11 MKX, I looked around to find one with the tow package--not going to tow anything, but feel better about the trans cooler...
Joe
Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 PM