Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Larger Throttle Body

Old 06-21-2003, 09:53 PM
OGNOM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larger Throttle Body

I had the same problem with mine, to much slack in the cable, but mine did come with a spacer for the cable to add at the gass pedal with zip ties. it worker intill I went to pass a bluehair doing 20 in a 45 zone. I stomped it, the X jumped and I snapped both the wire ties and the spacer hasn`t been seen since. To fix, I went to the local ACE Hardware and found a cable splicer kit. Comes with a brass sleave with 2 set screws. The cable slips right through it and set the screws . As for the ol` lady, she doesn`t like it either. Snaps her head back. Now she says my X has Turrets Syndrom

Old 06-24-2003, 08:16 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Larger Throttle Body

Hey Matt, surely it dried up by now.How does it run now?I think you should chip it before headers.I am satisfied with the Micro-tuner.I put my tb on right after the tuner,so i am curious on how it performs with the stock settings.What did you think about the size difference in the two bodies when they are side by side?I was like wow.

Old 06-24-2003, 11:32 AM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Larger Throttle Body

Originally posted by V10KLZZ71S
Hey Matt, surely it dried up by now.How does it run now?I think you should chip it before headers.I am satisfied with the Micro-tuner.I put my tb on right after the tuner,so i am curious on how it performs with the stock settings.What did you think about the size difference in the two bodies when they are side by side?I was like wow.

It made a significant difference. A really nice improvement. I am thinking that nothing I do will make it feel like my mustang though.

I have been trying to avoid the chip because I don't want to pay for the premium juice, that is why I think headers will be next.

I should have taken a pic of them side by side. You're right, there is a bid difference in size and in this case, size does matter!

Old 06-24-2003, 05:53 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Larger Throttle Body

I got an ACCUFAB single blade coming to the house. I'll post pics of the install. I hope to get a dyno run before and after to post results.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:24 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Larger Throttle Body

Hey Heavy, i think you might have to grind the opening on the intake with the accufab.Keep us informed.What mm is it?The one i have seen the throttle is on the opposite side.????

Old 06-25-2003, 08:12 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Larger Throttle Body

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an accurate account of the install. I do believe the body will be flipped so the cables attach to the correct side. I haven't seen any installed on V-10s and figured I'd give it a try on the install. Since other companies list the 96-98 COBRA 4v as the same for our truck, I figure it will work.

I have a digital cam and plenty of time when I get home to do a good tech article for you guys. I hope to get a dyno run and some short term mileage results. I'm going to be home for a month of driving so driving time will be short.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:22 PM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Larger Throttle Body

Originally posted by V10KLZZ71S
...What mm is it?
It is a big oval, but it looks like the lightening model flows more than the BBK model (on the cobra). If you got the Ellipse, slightly less flow.

http://www.accufabracing.com/Flow%20Data.htm

BBK 65mm - 1133 CFM
ACCUFAB COBRA ELLIPSE - 1086 CFM
ACCUFAB OVAL LIGHTNING - 1434 CFM

Old 06-26-2003, 12:19 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Larger Throttle Body

FORD 96 & UP - 4.6 4V
STOCK 57 MM COBRA TWIN TESTED @ 3" - 357 CFM CORR @ 20" - 921 CFM CORR @ 25" - 1032 CFM CORR @ 28" - 1089 CFM

MOTORSPORT COBRA OVAL TESTED @ 3" - 450 CFM CORR @ 20" - 1161 CFM CORR @ 25" - 1301 CFM CORR @ 28" - 1373 CFM

ACCUFAB OVAL LIGHTNING TESTED @ 3" - 556 CFM CORR @ 20" - 1434 CFM CORR @ 25" - 1606 CFM CORR @ 28" - 1696 CFM

ACCUFAB OVAL LIGHTNING (THROUGH STOCK 2001 HOSE) TESTED @ 3" - 399 CFM CORR @ 20" - 1029 CFM CORR @ 25" - 1153 CFM CORR @ 28" - 1217 CFM

ACCUFAB COBRA ELLIPSE TESTED @ 3" - 421 CFM CORR @ 20" - 1086 CFM CORR @ 25" - 1217 CFM CORR @ 28" - 1284 CFM

BBK 62 MM COBRA TWIN TESTED @ 3" - 420 CFM CORR @ 20" - 1083 CFM CORR @ 25" - 1213 CFM CORR @ 28" - 1280 CFM

BBK 65 MM COBRA TWIN TESTED @ 3" - 439 CFM CORR @ 20" - 1133 CFM CORR @ 25" - 1269 CFM CORR @ 28" - 1339 CFM

Old 06-26-2003, 09:46 PM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Larger Throttle Body

Um... OK... that is pretty much what I boiled down and posted (and linked to)... the question was which one did you get?

Old 06-26-2003, 10:18 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Larger Throttle Body

I got the ACCUFAB COBRA ELLIPSE. I'm hoping to provide some "real world" feedback for the guys. I will TRY to provide dyno results. I have several other mods that will go on the truck. I have a K&N FPIK, a Granatelli High Performance Mass Air Sensor, and the throttle body.

I'm looking to dyno each one, then together to show different results. As the truck is now I have loads of power and she pulls hard. I want the RWHP and RWTQ numbers for my own info. If I'm right in my math I should hit 300 after everything is on the truck.

Old 06-27-2003, 03:09 PM
snakebit
Senior User
Larger Throttle Body

I'd really like to see dyno #'s on the TB and other mods. Has any one machined a spacer to run on the larger TB's and noticed a difference.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:44 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Larger Throttle Body

Originally posted by HeavyAssault
I got the ACCUFAB COBRA ELLIPSE. I'm hoping to provide some "real world" feedback for the guys. I will TRY to provide dyno results. I have several other mods that will go on the truck. I have a K&N FPIK, a Granatelli High Performance Mass Air Sensor, and the throttle body.

I'm looking to dyno each one, then together to show different results. As the truck is now I have loads of power and she pulls hard. I want the RWHP and RWTQ numbers for my own info. If I'm right in my math I should hit 300 after everything is on the truck.
Heavy -

Please take good install notes & pix. I may be leaning towards the 62 or 65mm BBK, as this was the conversation I just had with Accufab (these folks are a little terse, it's not my editing...):

First, I asked about the Cobra single blade and what else I would need to get it working optimally on my V10. Like, should I also add higher flow injectors or a new MAF or.... I also told them my mileage and current mods, so they would know I was out of warranty and that I was buying this to tinker with, realizing they didn't specifically spec the unit for the 6.8L motor.

This was their reply:

-- START email reply --

The Lightning Throttle Body doesn't work on the V-10. We are not making a throttle body for this truck at this time.

Accufab

-- END email reply --

Then, I asked them what they meant by "doesn't work", I mean, are they saying it may work and they just don't support it used in this way? Here was the reply to that:

-- START email reply --

It means, we do not offer a throttle body for your truck no matter what the application maybe. We have done some R&D on the V-10, and at this time we are not making a throttle body for your truck.

-- END email reply --

Whew, OK. Maybe someone's not having a good day, or just hates to type replies to a potential customer's questions.

So Heavy, I really am keenly interested in how this turns out on your truck. Something tells me it should work fine, but maybe it causes a too-lean condition or such. I dunno.

Anyway, we here at FTE will figure it out for ourselves, right!

Old 06-27-2003, 08:01 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Larger Throttle Body

I have thorugh web reasearch concluded that the FORD modular motor design will prove itself usefull. Since the V10s share common components with other Fords.
BBK throttle bodies are shared by the V10 and COBRA 4.6 4v, Edelbrock uses the EXACT SAME part number for these applications.
I hope to show that this will work. I received a different e-mail that stated ACCUFAB was using the COBRA body for the V10s.
I'll be home in 4 days and will be able to comment more once the old is off and the new is installed.

Can you explain the too-lean condition?? What would cause this?? I understand the basic concept but how would the throttle body cause this?? Would I need bigger injectors?? Maybe there's more power here then we think..............

Old 06-27-2003, 08:04 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Larger Throttle Body

Just doesn't seem like the same guy does it. You were refering to the LIGHTNING body and not the COBRA body.

>>>From: Accufab1(No Email Addresses In Posts!)
Subject: V-10
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:46:12 -0400
To: briandez@charter.net

Brian, the '96-'98 Cobra TB is what we have been using for this application. Bolts on with no problems, as long as you cut out the little wall on the intake (for the dual-hole TB). Part number is CTB96-98

I found a guys site that shows our intake with the body removed. It seems as the blade will have room, there is no area in the middle of the intake. I think a DREMEL will clear enough off to allow the edges to clear.

Last edited by HeavyAssault; 06-27-2003 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:47 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Larger Throttle Body

Man, that's a lot better reply than the one I got. Definitely not the same guy replying in each case, that's for sure! The guy I got used the same accufab1(No Email Addresses In Posts!) address though.

And you are right - I think I got mixed up with the Lightning vs. the Cobra TB unit.... my bad. Wish they would have told me that rather than "we do not offer a throttle body for your truck no matter what the application maybe".

Anyway I think the TB will bolt up fine. And maybe a little trim is neeed, but that's no big deal. What I wonder is, does this TB flow so much air that the MAF (OEM, not an aftermarket) cannot report the flow accurately (maybe, maybe not) or that it does report the increase in intake but maybe other components like the stock injectors cannot pump enough juice to make the mixture within range??

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the V10 can help here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Larger Throttle Body