Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Senior User

Slowpoke Slim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Slowpoke Slim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Weight limit on tailgate?

Ok,

Anyone know how much weight you can set on the tailgate of a new (2012) SD without buckling the tailgate?

I know a guy that needs his gun safe moved and I may offer to help him. I believe the safe weighs 1200 lbs. I've moved many safes in my day, as I used to deliver them for customers, some heavier than this one. I used to just tip the safe back against the open tailgate and use the edge of the tailgate as a fulcrum and pick up (with help obviously) the bottom of the safe and lift it up and in. This is the easiest way to transport a safe without a full blown moving van and tommy lift gate.

Problem is I used to do this with my old 74 Dodge Powerwagon 3/4 ton 4x4. I knew the tailgate would take the weight as I'd done it many times before with safes, big block engines, etc.

Now I have a new SD, and at least the outer fender sheet metal is noticeably thinner. Not so sure about the inner tailgate panel or top edge of gate buckling when we fulcrum lift it up and in. I'm not worried about the inside of the bed getting dented or scratched or anything. I just don't want to crush or buckle my tailgate, or have the stay cables break and drop the whole safe to the ground.

So, anyone know the weight limitations on placing loads on the tailgate itself?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Semper Fi MOFO!

Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thronsonskip
be thankful its not a toyota.
00EX7.3 powerstop rotors, coated calipers, pads, 6637 filter, FRX, HPX, cobalt gauges, riff raff boots/plenum inserts. alternator 1/30/2012 199226 miles. oil filter, pre&fuel filter 9/2014 226221 Miles. Looking to make a Girls of FTE yearly calender pm me if interested in being a model
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Senior User

majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've done a 700lb safe with no issues. But not 1200.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't know if I've ever seen published specs. I would guess it's at minimum 5-600lbs sustained weight. I've seen 3 200lb guys sitting on one so it should be able to take that much.

So long as you never have all 1200lbs sitting on the tailgate at once I think you'd be fine. Like you say just use it as a fulcrum and you should never have more than 1/2 of the total weight at any one time on it. If you're concerned, you could stick a couple pieces of lumber under the lip to reinforce it.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Posting Guru

Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't do it with my truck. Use a little trailer or something instead. That's what I did when I brought my big ol' 50-gun safe home, and it worked out great. Low loading height, no worries about screwing up your tailgate.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Elder User

droldsmorland is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ya agreed on the trailer thing. Much easier to walk them up onto a trailer with the drop gate with the appliance dolly. Easier on the safe finish too. Just leave it strapped to the dolly lay er down ratchet strap the hell out of it and go.
Slowpoke Slim, did you check out the specs section on this site? It may very well be listed there with some slothful digging?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
You'll be okay. This safe weighed in at about 900-1000lbs.
Attached Images

- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Either that or remove the tailgate put it in there and put it back on. Then no worries about breaking it. I have had close to 1,000 pounds on mine with my weight and my salt bags for winter with no issues.
Seth "WE WILL NEVER FORGET" 343 PAA#129
Not so Early 99 F-250 Super Cab 4X4 w/7.3 stroker w/ 260,000, 6637 filter, 4" MBRP turbo back, coolant filter, zoodad, Hx, AutoMeter Guages, AIC, Leveling kit, Warn Premiums, 285 Duratrac's, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000 XL's, Strobes,
www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Senior User

Slowpoke Slim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Slowpoke Slim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
drold,

I'm still pretty new to the site. I'm afraid I have no idea where the "specs section" would be?

The main reason for using the truck is to be able to fulcrum the safe. That way you're not dead lifting the entire weight from the ground. If we laid it flat on a trailer, we'd be lifting 1200 lbs for most of the lift to stand it up, and you almost can't get enough guys around it to get that much lifting power. I do have a car trailer but that would be like killing ants with a sledge hammer, and I don't have the right kind of ramps for that. Mine are the "open" style of ramps.

I've tried moving safes without a tailgate before and you run into difficulties at the end of the lift as you can't keep your feet directly under you since you're reaching past the bumper. Very hard on the lower back.

I was hoping there was a spec somewhere so I don't have to call the dealer. Not sure they would know or freely offer up the info due to liabilities or something.

Maybe there's an "official spec" somewhere? I looked in my manual, but didn't see one. Maybe I missed it?

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Senior User

majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I guess with my 700 lb safe when I moved it, there was also 375lbs. worth of human on the tailgate too so just over 1,00lbs.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Posting Guru

Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
The main reason for using the truck is to be able to fulcrum the safe. That way you're not dead lifting the entire weight from the ground. If we laid it flat on a trailer, we'd be lifting 1200 lbs for most of the lift to stand it up, and you almost can't get enough guys around it to get that much lifting power.
What? I'm not sure you're thinking about that correctly. Pretend your truck tailgate was only 2 feet off the ground. Go through the same procedure, except now you don't have to lift it much before you can tip it over loading it, and then again unloading it. It's much easier and better. You don't know anyone with even a simple utility trailer? Clearly it doesn't have to be big.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Post Fiend

msgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to behold
I've helped move two gun safes (yeah, the big floor models) but both times I had a sheet of 3/4 plywood on the bed and had it extend over the tailgate to make sure. I didn't have any problem. We put a couple of layers of cardboard (washing machine delivery box) down to make it easier to move the safe on and off the truck.

Biggest concern was when we unloaded (we loaded from a loading dock), tipping the safe over the tailgate to lower it to the ground...no problem.

Joe

We live in the Land Of The Free...BECAUSE of the Brave! My humble thanks to all Veterans, past and present
Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Junior User

tomfiii is starting off with a positive reputation.
When will you see it bow,not until it's too late!,But it will.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Posting Guru

SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.
I thought I read/heard that 500lb was the max on a Ford tailgate (presumably evenly distributed). No way would I put an entire 1200 lb gun safe on it. I would think an ATV/snowmobile trailer or U-haul trailer would be perfect for this.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Elder User

droldsmorland is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Slowpoke look up at the top of the page. See the blue ribbon at the top. User CP, Albums, FAQ, Members, Tech Guides. Click into tech guides and start surfin...
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM