6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Favorite 5star tunes

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Stitchdog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite 5star tunes

Hello everyone I posted this in the chips and tuners section also and it has probably been beat to death, but seeing how I am new here and still learning how to navigate this forum well forums in general LOL here it goes. I am going to be ordering an x3 tuner from Mike at 5star here shortly and I was just trying to see what tunes everyone has and the ones they are most happy with. I have a 2012 f250 cc 4x4 6.2L with 3.73's. this is my daily driver and also will be used to tow my 8000 lbs travel trailer. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got the 87 economy, 87 performance/tow, and 93 performance/tow.

I haven't even tried either 87 tunes yet (I'm about a month and a half into having mine). The 93 tune is phenomenal.

I just wish I could adjust, or turn off, the TPMS system with it..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet

I just wish I could adjust, or turn off, the TPMS system with it..
A sticky Ford oval placed over the idiot light?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought Mike provided the ability to change the tire pressure reading with his tunes if you asked him. I don't have any tunes yet, but thats what i though i read somewheres

Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
A sticky Ford oval placed over the idiot light?
I honestly don't care about the light, it's the stupid chime and huge warning it displays on the message center that I have to OK through everytime I start the truck. I know, it's petty, but it's annoying as heck...

Originally Posted by RAPR
I thought Mike provided the ability to change the tire pressure reading with his tunes if you asked him. I don't have any tunes yet, but thats what i though i read somewheres
Confirmed, it's an SCT thing, not something within the tune.

I'm gonna contact Auto Enginuity and see if it can be done with their software.
EDIT - Just heard back from AE, theirs can't do it either. H&S can alter/disable the TPMS system, c'mon SCT, get with the friggin' program!

What I don't get, the sensors seem to hate cold weather. It's been going off every day for the last month or so (at or below freezing), and today, it's 65 out, and the damn thing didn't go off. The tire pressure is EXACTLY the same as when I check them last week. I hate this system, I just want it shut off entirely.

Sorry for the thread jack stitch.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Does a programmer really make that much of a difference? I would love to try one some day and see how it does with hauling our TT which weighs 8500#. I think the ones that have a display that you can see and monitor stuff is really cool. Does 5star offer something like that? I am a total idiot when it comes to tuners never had one.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
5 Star sells the LivewireTS that has a display on it but it was out of my price range.

There's a good chance I'll be in Clarion mid Feb if you want to meet up... You can take the ol' bullet for a test drive and judge it yourself.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Stitchdog
New User
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of just getting the 87, 91, and 93 performance tunes and not getting any of the eco. tunes. is it true you can run a higher octane with a tune but not a lower octane? I am a newb to these also. LOL no worries on the jack I wouldn't mind shutting it off either

Last edited by Stitchdog; 01-30-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: missed a line
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM
RAPR
Senior User
I just got off the phone with the guys at 5star tuning. It appears that the programmer for the 6.7L diesels has the ability to alter the TPMS system, but the SCT engineers have not updated the firmware for the 6.2L to allow this. If/when they update the firmware, I assume it would just be an update you could get from their website or buy mailing it in. The main reason I want a programmer is to adjust the TPMS. If I can find a product, even another company, I'll buy their product. Getting the performance is just a bonus to me.

I figure that the more people ask for it, the more it will become priority....and then a reality.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
I asked the same thing a few months back, was disappointed to hear that it hadn't been available by SCT...

Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
Thanks for bringing this up again, I just got my F250 and have the 5star sct from my F150 and plan to tune this once I get some miles on it, maybee by the end of the year, if I can wait that long. My tpms trips on at 55 psi so I set my tires at 60 and when the night temps drop it goes off and you have to take them to 75 psi to reset so I now keep them at 65 psi which is to much unloaded. Door sticker says 75 front and 80 back, I actually dropped each tire one by one and tested to see where it trips and resets to see if there is different front and rear setpoint which they all tripped and reset the same. Hopefully they will figure it out soon.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by RAPR
I just got off the phone with the guys at 5star tuning. It appears that the programmer for the 6.7L diesels has the ability to alter the TPMS system, but the SCT engineers have not updated the firmware for the 6.2L to allow this. If/when they update the firmware, I assume it would just be an update you could get from their website or buy mailing it in. The main reason I want a programmer is to adjust the TPMS. If I can find a product, even another company, I'll buy their product. Getting the performance is just a bonus to me.

I figure that the more people ask for it, the more it will become priority....and then a reality.
Three questions for you sir.

1.) What exactly does this have to do with your prefered 5 star tunes?

1.) Why are you incessently hijacking this thread with your gripe instead of starting your own thread?

2.) Why haven't you had your TPMS adjusted by your dealer? I did, no problem.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Stitchdog, I have the same truck and tow a similar load. I'm curious about the same thing but would like detail on why someone likes a specific tune over the others.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
Originally Posted by unyalli

1.) What exactly does this have to do with your prefered 5 star tunes?

1.) Why are you incessently hijacking this thread with your gripe instead of starting your own thread?

2.) Why haven't you had your TPMS adjusted by your dealer? I did, no problem.

Jeff

I guess I am guilty of hijacking as well sorry.

Not all dealers will alter this setting for liability reasons. I have checked around.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Don't worry, I fixed your numbering and spelling for you:
Originally Posted by unyalli

1.) What exactly does this have to do with your preferred 5 star tunes?

2.) Why are you incessantly hijacking this thread with your gripe instead of starting your own thread?

3.) Why haven't you had your TPMS adjusted by your dealer? I did, no problem.

Jeff
1) Answer to this question: my preferred tune is "ONE THAT CAN ADJUST THE TPMS"

2) Since this is the only thread I could find referring to 5 Star Tunes for the 6.2L, it seems to be the best fit. It does, after all, have to do with their product and tune-ability. This is not a gripe, but a request....the only "gripe" I see on this thread is yours about me "hijacking" this thread.

Secondly, how am I "incessantly" hijacking this thread, when I've only made 2 posts a few months apart. I wasn't even the person that brought up the initial subject in this thread. Do you understand the meaning of the word "incessantly"?

3) Some of us aren't blessed with having local dealers that will adjust the TPMS system. I know exactly how to do it, and told the dealer how its done (step by step) with their equipment. They responded that they could not do it, due to legal reasons. I'm left with no other option....unless you don't mind paying for my gas, so I can visit your local dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Favorite 5star tunes