Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr...PCM fuse keeps blowing!

...and I unplugged the fuel bowl heater!

The Ex left my wife on the side of the road last night and I had to have it brought home on a flatbed.

I checked the F5 chip at the PCM and it's still secured and sealed by the duct tape and it's still firmly connected to the digital switcher.

I SUCK and anything electrical (my mind just doesn't grasp the basics of wiring etc), so if anyone has an idea on what to check, especially if it involves using a multi-meter, please explain like you're talking to a 15 year old. When I read where someone say's to Ohm something out, it's like they're speaking in a foreign language.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Postmaster

nlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant future
So it blows #30 fuse when you turn the key to the KOEO position?

Support The Semper Fi Fund or America's Fund

Your kids are better off if you blow their college savings in Las Vegas. They'll be just as uneducated, but at least they won't be as indoctrinated. - Neal, retired professor
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Because racetruck

duck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud of
The second you turn the key on, it blows. (I'm at Stewart's right now)

Peter - NHRDA# 5078
2000 Excursion 7.3 - Lots of parts SOLD 2/2014
1997 F350 CCLB 4wd 7.3 PSD
1996 F250 XCab LB 4wd 7.3 PSD
Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Senior User

huntke is starting off with a positive reputation.
isn't that the same one that the fuel bowl heater is on?

oops.... did'nt read close enough
1999 F250 (x's 2) both crew cab 4x4, one early one late.....Late one all stock except for triple pillar guages.....early one, a handshaker, 4" turbo back w/muffler delete, 6637 with cover & superchips cortex saving for a real tuner!! Kevin.

Last edited by huntke; 01-28-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: can't read
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
4000 rounds a min

Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fan View Post
The second you turn the key on, it blows. (I'm at Stewart's right now)
Peter,
Try unplugging the wastegate solenoid and try changing out the pcm relay. And also check for chafed wires,
Richard PAA#119 00F350CCDually;7.3L;ZF6,4"MBRP;DIY5"Tailpipe;Modde d Turbo 1.0 exhaust with Ported Shourd;EBPV as exhaust brake;Custom Air Intake with 6637;T500 HPOP;DPTuner-Stock,60e,80e,60t,80t,120r; 6.0 Intercooler;SBC;FRx;HRx;OCR;Bellowed Up Pipes;GlowShift Guages,Boost,EGT;AE, B.E.S.T map
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Senior User

howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.
howellt39@yahoo.com
I had this exact same problem a couple years ago, all the way down to "unplugged the fuel bowl heater and no change"

My culprit was a worn spot on the wiring harness atop the DS VC. In my searches I also checked the DS shock tower and the OD wiring at the steering column. Mine was the VC though. Went through a lot of fuses, and ended up needing about 10" of electrical tape.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Postmaster

nlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellt39 View Post
I had this exact same problem a couple years ago, all the way down to "unplugged the fuel bowl heater and no change"

My culprit was a worn spot on the wiring harness atop the DS VC. In my searches I also checked the DS shock tower and the OD wiring at the steering column. Mine was the VC though. Went through a lot of fuses, and ended up needing about 10" of electrical tape.
This is exactly what I pm'd Stewart a few hours ago...

Support The Semper Fi Fund or America's Fund

Your kids are better off if you blow their college savings in Las Vegas. They'll be just as uneducated, but at least they won't be as indoctrinated. - Neal, retired professor
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Stewart, I'm like you when it comes to wiring. I need it written down so I can look at it to know what i'm doing. Thats what I get for being in the AF and working on airplanes. We have a book and it tells you exactly what to do and it comes with pictures.
PAA#128 / Rob-(02 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbed 7.3L) Banks Power Pack System w/tri-pilar gauges, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks Intercooler, Banks 1.0 housing, Banks WW Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/Dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, OCR, 6.0 Cooler,DP-Tuned Wifes-(02 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L) Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Programmer, Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, 6.0 Cooler
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Senior User

howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.
howellt39@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlemerise View Post
This is exactly what I pm'd Stewart a few hours ago...
Great minds think alike!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe06 View Post
Peter,
Try unplugging the wastegate solenoid and try changing out the pcm relay. And also check for chafed wires,
Will try that tomorrow, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellt39 View Post

The drivers side harness atop the valve cover is good to go, no chaffing. (2/1/13 edit to add: To be more specific, the wires on the outside of the valve cover leading to the 42-pin connector was good. I hadn't yet checked the wires on the valley side of the engine)

I didn't think the OD wiring in the steering column could do this, but I'll check it tomorrow too. Already had to replace the one in my old F250 when the OD button quit working.

I know this fuse is for the PCM, the wastegate, and the IDM. Hopefully it'll be something easy.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 02-01-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Senior User

howellt39@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

The drivers side harness atop the valve cover is good to go, no chaffing.

I know this fuse is for the PCM, the wastegate, and the IDM. Hopefully it'll be something easy.

Stewart
Darnit, was hoping you'd catch a break there.

Good idea unplugging the wastegate, hopefully that does the trick.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
As mentioned above, the only things on Fuse 30 are the wastgate control solenoid, the fuel bowl heater, and the two relays that enable the engine to run - the PCM power relay's coil, and the IDM power relay's coil.

The last two are fed through the PCM Diode in the front of the under-hood fuse and relay box. That's the little black thing in the extreme lower right in this photo (ignore "here" and arrow), and unplugs the same as anything else in that box. Be careful, though, it has to go back in the same way it came out, (but it can only fit one way). BTW, the other thing right beside it is a diode for the A/C clutch.

If you remove that little gizmo, the truck definitely won't start, but you will have eliminated half of the things that may be the cause of the short.

If the fuse no longer blows, then it's one of the two relay's coils shorted. Those two relays are identified as the arrowed "here" (the IDM), and the relay that's two above it at the top of the stack (the PCM relay). Pull them out one at a time and see if the short goes away.

If it continues to blow, it has to be either the wastegate solenoid, the bowl heater, or the wire thereto. The current gets from the relay box to those items via a cable that goes through the valve-cover 42-pin connector. Pull that loose and see if the fuse still blows.

If it keeps blowing with the 42-pin disconnected, it's somewhere between the fuse box and the 42-pin connector. Someone mentioned chafing along-side the shock tower.

If not, the short is in the engine valley's wiring somewhere. Since you've already pulled the heater loose, pull the wastegate control solenoid and see.

If you need the wire color (RED/LT GRN), here's a diagram:
http://springerpop.net/F350/PDFs/Eng..._controls1.pdf
It passes through the 42-pin connector on Pin 35.

Pop
Attached Images

Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
It's the thing in the extreme lower right in this photo
No picture?

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
No picture?

Stewart
Wow, instant picture, LOL!

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
If you remove that little gizmo, the truck definitely won't start, but you will have eliminated half of the things that may be the cause of the short.
Excellent!

Thanks!

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel