Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 AM
New User

rocklobster87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
weak flow through HVAC vents

2008 F-250 XL/5.4

Truck has consistently weak air flow out of all interior vents. Mode and blend doors appear to be functioning properly. Defrost vents seem to be more restricted than others flowing almost no air at all. Recirculating improves air flow some but not much. I used a long blow gun and a vacuum attachment to clean out the HVAC inlet in the cowl (which did have some pine needles and such built up on it) and found no noticeable difference in flow. I am assuming the inlet and possibly the heater core and evap. core are simply plugged up with dirt and that I will be removing the dash to deal with this. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something before I do.

This vehicle is used for Wildland Firefighting and sees a lot of dust/dirt and a lot of A/C use.

No noticeable difference in flow whether at max heat or max a/c.

Truck has been acting this way since around the 25,000 mile mark.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
Pull the blower and see if you can see the evaporator core. It's probably clogged with dust or maybe even a critter nest.
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Senior User

_red rocket_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Honestly I'm not certain...but do these trucks have a cabin HVAC air filter which seems present on a lot of modern vehicles?

If airflow was reduced at 25k miles, that is the first thing I would check for, a dirty/clogged cabin air filter.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
Cabin air filters were a dealer installable item but they were not factory original. However, a restricted cabin air filter will ONLY affect the flow of air from outside. It won't restrict airflow when in recirculate mode.

You have to find the portion of the system where all airflow must pass through. That would be the evaporator core and the housing where the blower resides.
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 PM
New User

Visit My Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.

thank you for the replies.

No cabin filters. I have removed the blower motor and observed it's operation. No signs of blockage visible from the port for the motor. No material in the hamster wheel whatsoever. Swapped in a motor from another rig and no change. Motor makes 4 distinct speeds. Mode switch directs air to selected vents and selected vents only. Just no damn flow.
There's actually two trucks under my care with this same issue.

Any info on these cabin filters available through the dealer?

Are they located in the cowl or in the HVAC housing?

I was considering a custom setup to stave this off in the future but bolt on would be nice. .
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
New User

Runky is starting off with a positive reputation.
I worked on a 2005 F250, 5.4 from up north (New Jersey) and it had a similar problem. Ended up being a rusted heater core, weak blower motor and rusted/burned up blower motor resistor. Sounds like you have a plugged heater core, especially since you found some pine needles in the intake. I haven't heard of anyone doing a cabin air filter mod but I bet the dealer version isn't the only one out there.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 PM
New User

From what I gather ford did and maybe still does offer a cabin filter kit but it only applied/applies to the F-150, Expedition and Navigator. Seems as though both a company know as "Cab Fresh" and Wix offer conversion kits but I cant find part #'s or any real info on either.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Post Fiend

If the heater core was gunked up, he'd get regular airflow when the heater control was set to "cool" as this setting bypasses the heater core.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
If the heater core was gunked up, he'd get regular airflow when the heater control was set to "cool" as this setting bypasses the heater core.
Right, he stated that the airflow was the same in a/c or heat so maybe both are plugged up? Since there isn't a cabin air filter is it possible that dirt and debris might be in both the heater core and the evaporator?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 AM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Have you checked up under the dash below the glovebox, to ensure there is not a plastic sack or similar blocking the recirc air flow.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
Have you checked up under the dash below the glovebox, to ensure there is not a plastic sack or similar blocking the recirc air flow.
Yeah no obstructions anywhere. I'll be ripping into these later on this week. I'll be sure to post up with the results.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runky View Post
Right, he stated that the airflow was the same in a/c or heat so maybe both are plugged up? Since there isn't a cabin air filter is it possible that dirt and debris might be in both the heater core and the evaporator?
Not positive on these but in HVAC boxes I've been in before all air flow was diverted through the evaporator first, then through the heater core by the blend door, Thus if the evap is clogged, flow will be restricted regardless of temp. This is what allows you to have the A/C on with the temp set to high and get warm dry air out of the vents.

I didn't want to just assume everything was as I thought it would might be and thats a big part of the reason I posted up.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 PM
New User

Did you fix it

Just checking in to see if you found the problem. Haven't been on the sight for a while.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM
New User

Been busy working on other stuff. Had the A/C evacuated today. Plan on tearing into it on monday. Definitely intend to post up with the results.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM
New User

Tore into this today. Found two AA batteries and a set of keys sitting on top of the door that directs air to the defrost vents, keeping it from opening beyond a slit. Also the evaporator was almost completely clogged with dirt. Looks like we'll be conversing with our drivers about keeping **** off the dash and using recirc all the time when on dusty roads (thought that might have been a given).

Thanks to all who chimed in.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty