Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Any experience heavy towing with Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM
doocrue
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2012 F150 EcoBoost 6.5' box with the Max Tow Package. We have a Jayco 31 BHDS Travel Trailer. I do have an equalizer hitch with an anti-sway bar attached. We do pull the trailer a couple times a summer on some longer trips (250 Miles). I replaced a 2010 F150 with the same features just with the 5.4 engine.

Here is my take on the pulling with this truck.
1) The EcoBoost engine has plenty of power to tow the trailer. It is amazing how this engine pulls with the 3.73 rear end. It seems to lay in and pull instead of shifting up and down like my 5.4 did.
2) The manual shift feature on the column is very nice when you want to shift up or down when you need it. I also like the Max Tow Package since it has the integrated brake controller plus the big mirrors
3) Compared to my 2010, this truck just does not seem to handle the load as well as my 2010. I think this could be due to the tires that came on my 2012. My 2010 had the Good Year Wrangler ATS's where this one came with the Good Year SRA. I ordered the same features as the 2010 but apparently Ford only offers that tire now on the Off Road Package. It seems so "squishy" when I have the camper hooked on. Even with 50 psi in the rear tires.
4) When towing a trailer that long, you definitely will feel the suck and blow when you either pass or are being passed by a vehicle. Especially a semi, you will want to hold onto the wheel with both hands.
5) Mileage is the same as my 5.4 was. Pulling my camper I would say 7-8 mpg max.
Bottom line is this: If you are like me and only pull a big load a few times a year and aren't going that far I would buy the F150. I can't justify having a Super Duty for that little amount of heavy towing. I do pull other smaller trailers on a regular basis and the F150 works great. I also use my F150 for my daily driver so I like the lighter truck for that.

Good Luck on your choice.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I appreciate the answers too because I look to do that in the future and hope I can do it with the Platinum. My payload will only be 1560 but I really like all the comfort and things on the Platinum.

BigDfromTN....did you get the max payload package too? I don't think I want the 6.5' bed because it just seems too long to me for everyday driving. I can see how it would help with towing but doesn't the 5.5' still tow it well too?
PrinceValium,

I do not have the max payload, nor max tow.
My truck also has the 3.55 not the 3.73 gears. I test drove both and could not really tell any difference pulling my camper.

The 5.5 bed is easier to handle as a daily driver in parking lots and tight turns. The 5.5 will pull just fine! The longer wheel base is just inherently more stable and you will feel less suck and blow.

A good sway control bar, or hitch with the cams etc that incorporate sway will be fine. Do realize that weight Distribution and sway control are two different functions. Some like the Pro-Pride and cam type incorporate both into one package. Im sure some of you know this, but wanted to make it clear as I have heard more than one person think that a WD hitch automatically includes sway control.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 AM
mpally
Senior User
Originally Posted by cschannuth
There's a cattle farmer near me that uses his Ecoboost to pull a large gooseneck stock trailer. It usually tips the scales at about 15k pounds. He knows he shouldn't but he does it anyway. Says he was tired of riding around in an F350 unloaded 95% of the time. He put on Load Range E tires and air bagged the rear. He loves the F150 and it pulls the heavy trailer much better than his 08 SD did. He has about 30k miles on it and hasn't had a bit of trouble. He thinks one of the keys is that he has the integrated brake controller and good trailer brakes. Claims he hardly notices it back there. I first heard about this guy from our local Ford dealer.
Not to be the party police, but it could get ugly if he is in an accident towing that much weight with the F150. His insurance company may not be too happy if they find out how much he was hauling.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 AM
tom18287
Senior User
all this talk about suck and blow

Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by tom18287
all this talk about suck and blow
LOL!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the Reese Dual Cam SwayControl, and my fair share of tuning the set up, my TT with over 1000# tongue weight tows very stable. When I bought my latest TT last October, my old system wasn't up to the task, and was a white knuckle ride, and I questioned the truck's ability to handle the trailer, but it's mostly in the right tow set up, as I thankfully was able to accomplish.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM
02transam
Senior User
Why does everyone seem to act like it is such a big issue to have an F250 as a dd? Not trying to be difficult but just curious..

As you can see below the dimensions are pretty close comparing the 6.5 bed f150 to the f250.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM
02transam
Senior User
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
02transam
Senior User
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Dirtysnow
Junior User
Like BigD I also have 3.55 gears with the 6.5ft bed. I tow a 27' thor toy hauler between 9-10k pounds. Mine didn't come with the max tow package but I bought the mirrors, brake controller, and rear firestone airbags. I've taken it out 3 times this season and it tows like a cadillac.

I also feel the "suck and blow" when passing or being passed but it's not bad. I have a weight dist. hitch but I don't use the sway control bar because it's built in to the trucks computer so I was afraid it might affect the computer. I don't need it anyway, the truck tracks smooth and straight even in the wind or down steep grades.

My favorite feature of the truck, besides the strong diesel-like power, is the tow/haul mode that automatically downshifts on steep grades. I call it my "jake brake"

***I talked to a guy at work today who has a newer F250 and he's getting 13mpg average. Glad I went with the ecoboost

Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by Dirtysnow
Like BigD I also have 3.55 gears with the 6.5ft bed. I tow a 27' thor toy hauler between 9-10k pounds. Mine didn't come with the max tow package but I bought the mirrors, brake controller, and rear firestone airbags. I've taken it out 3 times this season and it tows like a cadillac.

I also feel the "suck and blow" when passing or being passed but it's not bad. I have a weight dist. hitch but I don't use the sway control bar because it's built in to the trucks computer so I was afraid it might affect the computer. I don't need it anyway, the truck tracks smooth and straight even in the wind or down steep grades.

My favorite feature of the truck, besides the strong diesel-like power, is the tow/haul mode that automatically downshifts on steep grades. I call it my "jake brake"

***I talked to a guy at work today who has a newer F250 and he's getting 13mpg average. Glad I went with the ecoboost

A sway bar will eliminate the suck and blow as well.
You can get one from Amazon for less than $50 with free shipping. A Great investment, Even if you dont use it every time.
I have never noticed any ill effect from the trucks computer.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by 02transam
Why does everyone seem to act like it is such a big issue to have an F250 as a dd? Not trying to be difficult but just curious..

As you can see below the dimensions are pretty close comparing the 6.5 bed f150 to the f250.
I don't think it's as much about size and mass as it is about MPG's and ride comfort.

If I needed a superduty, I'd have one as a DD and be very glad to own it.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM
ssls6
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts

From my experience the height, width (mirror), turning radius, and length make it almost impossible to see smaller vehicles when they get close to you. If you drive where you must park by others it can become a PITA year after year. My last F250 had a really poor turning radius, my new F150 is much much better. I don't think diesels are the best engines for short daily trips either.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 AM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F250 cost more to operate. Gas mileage isn't as good because it is so much heavier and it had the bigger engine.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 AM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

OK, I will give you the points you make. One being the turning. My 6.5' bed is harder to turn and park in tight places. But as a daily driver, I dont normally get into those type situations.

The other side of the coin is that FOR ME the ego-boost was a better choice due to the fact that last summer(just bought) I towed my camper about 5 times to a lake about 110 miles from home. This year we hope to use it more, but realistically it may only be about 10 - 12 times. That limited use (IMO) does not warrant the added costs of a SD Diesel as a DD. AND to get the tow capacity equal to or higher than the EB. You must get a Diesel even in the SD. (as I recall)

SO.... From a personal standpoint. My decision was made on upfront cost and continued estimated cost for maintaince. One for instance is oil changes. I just had the oil changed in my truck. It was almost 10,000 miles and the "Intelligent Oil Life Meter" said I still had over 10% Oil life left. Had the oil changed and tires rotated(at the Ford Dealer). I was out the door for $45.00. Had it been a SD diesel that bill would have been Well over $100.00 at least twice in the same mileage.

Good question! I can see just looking at some comparison sheets why you would ask. I looked at most of that before deciding on the F150. Matter of fact I was just about to pull the trigger on a used SD-Diesel when I checked with my friend (manager) at the Ford store and he had me drive this truck and try it out. SOLD!!! Had he not let me test drive the truck and pull my camper... I would NEVER have believed it.

Quick Reply: Any experience heavy towing with Ecoboost