Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Freshman User

59Terry is starting off with a positive reputation.
59 Headlight Switch

I have had trouble with my headlight switch on my truck.The low beams will go out after a few .A few years ago i replaced the switch and wiring harness.I have never realy had the lights on much,so i did not notice the problem.It appears the breaker in the switch is the problem.I have ordered a heavy duty harness with relays from LMC.It will reduce the amp draw and should take care of the problem.Anyone have thought on the subject.
Terry
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
What you referring to as the breaker?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Senior User

economan is starting off with a positive reputation.
make sure all connections on back of the sealed beams are clean & tight , also make sure all grounds to the sealed beams are in good order as well as the bullett type connectors that attach the headlamp housing harness to the truck wiring harness. also check the connections on the circuit breaker itself sometimes the moulded eye conections burn off or get weak right where the wire attaches to the eyelet and cause a wire overheating problem.
this may be a lot less $$ than throwing new parts at it.
checking these easy
mikie
near ottawa canada
58 m-100 panel 64 econo p/u
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Did you install high wattage headlights? The internal breaker may trip if you did, though I would think it would trip when the high beams are on, not the low beams. Does it also trip if you use the high beams?
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurredon View Post
From what i have read there is a 12 breaker made inside headlight switch
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by economan View Post
make sure all connections on back of the sealed beams are clean & tight , also make sure all grounds to the sealed beams are in good order as well as the bullett type connectors that attach the headlamp housing harness to the truck wiring harness. also check the connections on the circuit breaker itself sometimes the moulded eye conections burn off or get weak right where the wire attaches to the eyelet and cause a wire overheating problem.
this may be a lot less $$ than throwing new parts at it.
checking these easy
mikie
near ottawa canada
58 m-100 panel 64 econo p/u
That a good idea. I have had ground problems before. I will check that. The harness is made to use with the new Halogen lights. Its only 29 dollars
Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Terry, if you have already installed your high wattage halogens, that is a likely problem. The grounding may also be at fault.
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM
New User

iggy.ho is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 59 also, that light switch was used for only one or two years. Ford ran a lot of power through that switch, mine shorted out, lost lights. If you can find one, last price i seen was about $140.00!! I installed a small fuse panel with modern plugin fuses, and a $15.00 universal light switch. No more problems!! Plus you can easily fuse turn signals or any accessories you want.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy.ho View Post
I have a 59 also, that light switch was used for only one or two years. Ford ran a lot of power through that switch, mine shorted out, lost lights. If you can find one, last price i seen was about $140.00!! I installed a small fuse panel with modern plugin fuses, and a $15.00 universal light switch. No more problems!! Plus you can easily fuse turn signals or any accessories you want.
I dont plan on getting Halogen lights,I just wanted the lights to stay on.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy.ho View Post
LMC has the switch for around 70. Mine is new.
The whole purpose of the new heavy duty headlight harness is to pull the high power straight from the battery. The light switch would then only power the relay's ,which only draw a small amount of power. Thanks for all the help and advice
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurredon View Post
There is a breaker inside the headlight switch.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Posting Guru

hiball3985 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Under normal conditions the breaker will come on and off again if there is a problem with something like a short in the headlight circut. I think even a short in something like a tail light may cause it , not 100% on that. If it just shuts off and stays off it could be the switch is going bad. At least there are replacements for 59's, I'm not so lucky with a 60.

1966 F250 390 4 spd

1957 Ranchero 292 3 spd
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiball3985 View Post
Under normal conditions the breaker will come on and off again if there is a problem with something like a short in the headlight circut. I think even a short in something like a tail light may cause it , not 100% on that. If it just shuts off and stays off it could be the switch is going bad. At least there are replacements for 59's, I'm not so lucky with a 60.
Its a lot of trouble to change also. Mine goes of then cool down then comes back on
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Posting Guru

hiball3985 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Terry View Post
Its a lot of trouble to change also. Mine goes of then cool down then comes back on
If thats happening you have a short somewhere, thats what the circuit breaker is suppose to do.

1966 F250 390 4 spd

1957 Ranchero 292 3 spd
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
Did you install high wattage headlights? The internal breaker may trip if you did, though I would think it would trip when the high beams are on, not the low beams. Does it also trip if you use the high beams?
Just low beams. I never have driven it at night so did not even know there was a problem
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks