1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Help with Tilt Column

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
MavSprint
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Tilt Column

The plan is to install a tilt, cruise control steering column into my '70 2WD F100 with manual steering but it looks like I'm going to need help.

I have three columns, none of which are what I need but should supply enough parts to get one column, I hope.

1. '70 non-PS, non-tilt, non-cruise, the original in the '70 F100. Hope to use the top half of the rag joint from this column.

2. '85 (I think) tilt, cruise 4WD (I think). Doesn't have a rag joint and the tilt is broken. This is the column I intend to use with a few parts replaced.

3. Tilt, cruise column out of an unknown year van -- too long for the F100. Intend to use the tilt mechanism from this column to replace the broken one in #2.

I searched for good step-by-step disassembly/assembly instructions and parts explosion. Found good parts diagrams but no instructions in enough detail to get me thru the process. The best instructions found were in ALLDATADIY for '85 F150. SO, the hope is that those that have done this before will help me get a good column assembled. ANY advice is welcome.

Problem #1: The shift tube doesn't come out.

Did all this, except shift tube doesn't come out.
  1. Remove steering wheel and steering column, Fig. 6, from vehicle.
  2. Remove turn signal actuator lever.
  3. On models equipped with automatic transmission, drive out pivot pin and remove shift lever.
  4. On 1980-S81 E100-S350 models, remove steering shaft lower flange and retaining clamp.
  5. On all models, remove lower bearing retainer.
  6. On models equipped with automatic transmission, remove shift tube retaining screw from bottom of shift socket, then slide shift tube out of bottom of column.
Didn't try to force the shift tube off to avoid breaking something. The tube is stuck solid on the shift collar like there's something still holding it. Any advice??

Problem #2: Didn't get the turn signal switch/harness out. There's no way it will come out where it is and there is a heavy ring holding it in its place. Should that metal ring come out somehow so the harness can move over to an area where it might come out?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry I can't be of much help, maybe in the year section of the forums for what the column is. Usually to get the wiring out, you have to release every wire from the lower end plug and pull the wires up from the top. They make special tools to release the wires or usually you can do it with a little pick.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM
MavSprint
Elder User
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Sorry I can't be of much help, maybe in the year section of the forums for what the column is. Usually to get the wiring out, you have to release every wire from the lower end plug and pull the wires up from the top. They make special tools to release the wires or usually you can do it with a little pick.
OK, thanks for help with #2. I think I've done the TS switch replace on other Fords and got the connector thru the column. Guess not on F100s.

I'm getting desperate here. Don't usually get stymied by things but this column has me intimidated. I'm having problems getting it apart and expect MORE getting it back together. Anyone in NC want a job to do this for me?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Cut the van column to fit.

John

Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM
MavSprint
Elder User
That would be another way to go but do you think it would be any easier? The tech article on fordification.com on shortening the column says to disassemble the column and section the column shell, shift tube and shaft.

If there's anyone in NC that is experienced in the tilt columns I could give them some business.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
MavSprint
Elder User
Originally Posted by MavSprint
The plan is to install a tilt, cruise control steering column into my '70 2WD F100 with manual steering but it looks like I'm going to need help.

I have three columns, none of which are what I need but should supply enough parts to get one column, I hope.

1. '70 non-PS, non-tilt, non-cruise, the original in the '70 F100. Hope to use the top half of the rag joint from this column.

2. '85 (I think) tilt, cruise 4WD (I think). Doesn't have a rag joint and the tilt is broken. This is the column I intend to use with a few parts replaced.

3. Tilt, cruise column out of an unknown year van -- too long for the F100. Intend to use the tilt mechanism from this column to replace the broken one in #2.

I searched for good step-by-step disassembly/assembly instructions and parts explosion. Found good parts diagrams but no instructions in enough detail to get me thru the process. The best instructions found were in ALLDATADIY for '85 F150. SO, the hope is that those that have done this before will help me get a good column assembled. ANY advice is welcome.

Problem #1: The shift tube doesn't come out.

Did all this, except shift tube doesn't come out.
  1. Remove steering wheel and steering column, Fig. 6, from vehicle.
  2. Remove turn signal actuator lever.
  3. On models equipped with automatic transmission, drive out pivot pin and remove shift lever.
  4. On 1980-S81 E100-S350 models, remove steering shaft lower flange and retaining clamp.
  5. On all models, remove lower bearing retainer.
  6. On models equipped with automatic transmission, remove shift tube retaining screw from bottom of shift socket, then slide shift tube out of bottom of column.
Didn't try to force the shift tube off to avoid breaking something. The tube is stuck solid on the shift collar like there's something still holding it. Any advice??

Problem #2: Didn't get the turn signal switch/harness out. There's no way it will come out where it is and there is a heavy ring holding it in its place. Should that metal ring come out somehow so the harness can move over to an area where it might come out?
Can anyone assure me that the shift tube retaining screw is the only thing holding the shift tube in place before I start applying some force?