Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 AM
Senior User

Diesel Submariner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
XL 4.2Ltr ABS

G'day Fellas,

I done the servicing on the Hubs & Wheel Bearings of a mate's 2002 F-250 XL 4.2Ltr 4X4.

However I noticed as soon as I pulled the first wheel that there was no cable going to the ABS??
I went round a checked the other side; same story??

However when I removed the caliper and pulled the Rotor Disc off, the actual sensor was in place on both sides.
The electrical cables had simply been snipped off at the sensor. No sign of any cable being there (no old cable hanging from up under the fender or bay).
The mate said it had been that way from when he bought it from the PO.

It's done 330K km and he has never noticed any issues with braking.
No ABS trouble light comes up.

Would this have been how these XL 4.2 trucks came form factory or has the PO simply cut them off .

I guess I'm asking; Did the lower spec XL models come with ABS.

Those with these XL 4.2 trucks should be able to answer this.

Anyway I pulled the ABS Sensor out and used the RiffRaff fitting to pump grease into his wheel bearings and do the servicing.

If thse don't have ABS then I intend to permanently fit greasing Zerks in there for him.

Cheers,
Reg
Aussie spec 2005 (US 2003) F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr Powerstroke: PHP FU2 6 Posín Chip,6 x ISSPRO Guages, AIS Intake, Zoodad, Hutch'd ní Harpoon'd. Cowl Hood, AIH Delete, CCV, RiffRaff FRx,HPx,OCR, JWVB. ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler + Stock Tranny cooler, ARB Bull Bar. Long Range Fuel Tank,VMS in Dash GPS Nav.OME Suspension & Dual Tower Shocks, MOOG Ball Joints. GVWR (GVM) Upgrade to 5,000Kg (F350+).
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Abs on all the 4.2l was only fitted to the rear axle (same single sensor above the crown wheel as the 7.3)
The sensors were fitted to the axle on the front (as you found) but that was it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Senior User

Diesel Submariner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigF350 View Post
Abs on all the 4.2l was only fitted to the rear axle (same single sensor above the crown wheel as the 7.3)
The sensors were fitted to the axle on the front (as you found) but that was it.
G'day Adrian,

Thanks for that M8. I thought as much.

I'll knock up a couple of zerks to fit and run a short braided line to make it a simple greasing routine for him next time I'm due to service his wheel bearings.
This will save having to remove the calipers and rotor from then on.

Cheers,
Reg
Aussie spec 2005 (US 2003) F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr Powerstroke: PHP FU2 6 Posín Chip,6 x ISSPRO Guages, AIS Intake, Zoodad, Hutch'd ní Harpoon'd. Cowl Hood, AIH Delete, CCV, RiffRaff FRx,HPx,OCR, JWVB. ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler + Stock Tranny cooler, ARB Bull Bar. Long Range Fuel Tank,VMS in Dash GPS Nav.OME Suspension & Dual Tower Shocks, MOOG Ball Joints. GVWR (GVM) Upgrade to 5,000Kg (F350+).
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.
You've made virtue out of necessity there Reg, well done!
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 AM