Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Filling Dually tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
kotterr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filling Dually tires

I need to fill some dually tires on the back of a truck. However, the valves are pointed inwards, making it almost impossible to even remove the valve caps, nevermind reliably attach an air chuck.

I see two options that can fit:

1. A very small air chuck (basically, just a hose) that goes directly on the stem through the holes in the rim.

2. A "flat" and long air chuck that goes between the two tires and has an outlet on the side so it can be pressed against the valve.

I found an inflation air source:

Torin Big Red Hydraulic Ram Pump — 10-Ton Capacity, Model# T71101 | Rams Ram Kits| Northern Tool + Equipment

It seems compatible with 1/4 in NPT piping, so the only thing left to do is to find a suitable air chuck.

Any ideas?

The chuck should have a reliable air pressure gauge because I can't fit anything in there to even measure the tire pressure. Alternative, I could go for a cheap tire pressure measurement tool.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

A dual chuck with a gauge, like one of these, and an air compressor is what you need.

Milton Window Inflator Gage, Dual Head, Model# S-506 | Air Chucks Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

The "pump" you show in your link is a hydraulic pump, nothing to do with filling tires.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Flexible stainless hose extensions are your solution. They reach from the inner dual to the outer so that the both valves are accessible. Any motor home supply house should have them. Stu

Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
kotterr
New User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Welcome to FTE.

A dual chuck with a gauge, like one of these, and an air compressor is what you need.

Milton Window Inflator Gage, Dual Head, Model# S-506 | Air Chucks Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

The "pump" you show in your link is a hydraulic pump, nothing to do with filling tires.
So it would not be possible to pump air with it? I thought it was just a heavy duty pump, using a hydraulic system to allow more force to be applied, to pump air at high PSI (up to 10,000 PSI). Is that not correct?

I like the chuck, but how does it connect to an air compressor? I already have compressors at home, but not anything with a removable and replaceable chuck. That's why I was looking into this pump, because it uses NPT and that is generally easy to adapt. All it really requires beyond the piping is thread sealant.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
kotterr
New User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Flexible stainless hose extensions are your solution. They reach from the inner dual to the outer so that the both valves are accessible. Any motor home supply house should have them. Stu
I already tried something like that, only it was entirely metal (rigid). The part that's supposed to screw onto the schrader valve in the tire was too long and the inner threads of the device did not reach the outer threads of the valve. I had to cut it with a saw to get it to fit, and even then it leaked air.

The other problem is attaching it to the outer tire, the valve of which points inwards, under the truck. I'd have to crawl under there and frankly, it's probably more effort than just removing the wheel to inflate the tires. This is why I was interested in a regular chuck like this:

Milton 699 1/4" Female Air Chuck : Amazon.com : Automotive

I already have a chuck like that with a hose attached. I believe it's 1/4" NPT. I was wondering if it was compatible with this pump:

Torin Big Red Hydraulic Ram Pump — 10-Ton Capacity, Model# T71101 | Rams Ram Kits| Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
The chuck you linked to is only going to work one way, by pressing on it.

The dual chuck lets you pull back on the outside wheel's valve stem to provide enough pressure to seal the chuck against the stem.

Again, the pump you link to is a hydraulic pump. NOTHING to do with filling tires.

As for how you attach a check to an air compressor, get a set of these:

Amazon.com: Brass Coupler Fittings Air Compressor Quick Release and Couplers Set with Pocket Air Gun Attachment: Everything Else

You can get these at most hardware stores, or anyplace that sells compressors.

The braided steel flex couplers are really the best idea though:

https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/wh...versal-series/

http://www.millers-rv.com/pdf/rv/run...nninggear3.pdf

As truckdog said, any RV place should have them.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM
kotterr
New User
The chuck you linked to is only going to work one way, by pressing on it.

The dual chuck lets you pull back on the outside wheel's valve stem to provide enough pressure to seal the chuck against the stem.

Again, the pump you link to is a hydraulic pump. NOTHING to do with filling tires.

As for how you attach a check to an air compressor, get a set of these:

Amazon.com: Brass Coupler Fittings Air Compressor Quick Release and Couplers Set with Pocket Air Gun Attachment: Everything Else

You can get these at most hardware stores, or anyplace that sells compressors.

The braided steel flex couplers are really the best idea though:

https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/wh...versal-series/

http://www.millers-rv.com/pdf/rv/run...nninggear3.pdf

As truckdog said, any RV place should have them.
But where do I get a compressor that allows removal of the chuck? The ones I have appear to have integral hoses and chucks: not removable or replaceable.

Does the pump I posted pump liquids (like oil) instead of air?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
I got one of these on sale for $39. They say $59 now, but ymmv depending on your local store or a different supplier:

Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI

That compressor is pretty small and weak, and would take some time to completely fill even a small truck tire. But it will do the job, and will air them up just fine. Note the quick release fitting already installed.

What kind of a compressor do you have the does not have a removable hose?

Even the $20 job has a removable hose:

12 Volt, 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

The pump you linked to is a hydraulic pump, like a hydraulic jack. It is used for remote rams, or "PortaPower" type devices, or other hydraulic pressure applications.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...FSemPAodrVAAJg

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM
kotterr
New User
I got one of these on sale for $39. They say $59 now, but ymmv depending on your local store or a different supplier:

Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI

That compressor is pretty small and weak, and would take some time to completely fill even a small truck tire. But it will do the job, and will air them up just fine. Note the quick release fitting already installed.

What kind of a compressor do you have the does not have a removable hose?

Even the $20 job has a removable hose:

12 Volt, 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

The pump you linked to is a hydraulic pump, like a hydraulic jack. It is used for remote rams, or "PortaPower" type devices, or other hydraulic pressure applications.

Atlas 4 Ton Porta Power Kit
I understand what it's used for. I was simply wondering if it could pump air also. Given the 1/4" NPT connection, it is quite versatile. Another reason I wanted a manual pump is because they tend to be faster and cheaper.

I saw this and figured, hey, it's cheap and I can connect any hose I want to it. In my experience, cheaper electric pumps take forever to fill a tire. Especially a truck tire.

This 10,000 PSI pump can easily handle the 80 PSI in a truck tire.

Maybe I'm not understanding something. Is there a particular reason why this pump will not work for this? I understand it was designed with another purpose in mind, but even a bicycle pump can fill a car tire. Just because it was not designed to do it does not mean it CANNOT do it.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
It's a hydraulic pump. It pumps oil, not air. Can't be made to pump air for filling tires. If you want to fill your tires with oil, buy that pump.

Buy an AIR compressor, and buy a bigger one if you are in a hurry.

If you could make that hydraulic pump pump air, it would take you a year to fill a tire with it. Liquids don't compress, and therefore the amount of fluid displaced by each stroke is extremely small but results in high pressure. With air, you'd probably never build much pressure as you probably wouldn't be able to keep up with even the tiniest leak in the connections.