Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Flatbed Ed's Avatar
Flatbed Ed Flatbed Ed is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
traction control?

Anybody disabled the traction control? I've had the truck for 22k miles and just noticed the TC button. So I turned it off just to see if I would notice a difference and guess what? I did. I get a lot of wheel spin( gravel or not) and my MPG went up by 1 MPG. Amazing.
I'm gonna leave it disabled for a week to see if the improved MPG holds up. Wish me luck.
__________________
2012 F-350 Chassis Cab,12-ft flatbed,6.2 gas
X-PSD driver, done with diesels
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
kmonty2's Avatar
kmonty2 kmonty2 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 1,311
kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
kmonty
Don't you have to disable it every time you start the truck? Or can you shut it off for good?
__________________


Kevin
2011 F-250 CC, 6.2 Gas, 3.73, 4x4 w/FX4, Tuxedo Black, Steel Cloth interior,Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's, Air Aid Intake, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Hellwig adjustable sway bar, 5 Star Tuned, Line X bed liner, X Tang Tri-Fold bed cover.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
RAPR's Avatar
RAPR RAPR is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Youngsville, LA
Posts: 295
RAPR is starting off with a positive reputation.
RAPR
i'm pretty sure he is going to be stuck pushing the button every time he starts the truck, according to experience and the user manual.

remember, there are also different settings you change, depending on how long you press the 'traction control' button. briefly pressing it will just turn of traction control. holding the button for a few seconds with also turn of 'Electronic Stability Control' and 'Roll Stability Control'. If you are traveling over 35mph, the ESC and RSC will automatically re-engage, leaving only TCS as being off.
__________________

2011 F-250 CC - 6.2L, 4x4, 3.73, Lariat Ultimate Pkg, ReadyLift 3.5"Fx3.0"R lift kit, 295/70-18 Terra Grapplers
'Capital Campers', give your go some show
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM
kmonty2's Avatar
kmonty2 kmonty2 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 1,311
kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
kmonty
I thought the option was in the settings menu on the LCD screen.
__________________


Kevin
2011 F-250 CC, 6.2 Gas, 3.73, 4x4 w/FX4, Tuxedo Black, Steel Cloth interior,Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's, Air Aid Intake, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Hellwig adjustable sway bar, 5 Star Tuned, Line X bed liner, X Tang Tri-Fold bed cover.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
RAPR's Avatar
RAPR RAPR is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Youngsville, LA
Posts: 295
RAPR is starting off with a positive reputation.
RAPR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonty2 View Post
I thought the option was in the settings menu on the LCD screen.
The LCD screen will just display if TCS is on or off. You can't control it from there. I'm also pretty sure that the LCD screen displays nothing about ESC or RSC being on or off, but the user manual explains it. I have also tested out the ESC being off versus just having the TCS off.

You can tell a difference on a gravel road. With just TCS off, you will still maintain positive traction, leaving 2 peel out marks (the best setting for going offroad). With ESC turned off, your truck will act like a true open differential, leaving 1 peel out mark (I see no practical purpose for turning this off).
__________________

2011 F-250 CC - 6.2L, 4x4, 3.73, Lariat Ultimate Pkg, ReadyLift 3.5"Fx3.0"R lift kit, 295/70-18 Terra Grapplers
'Capital Campers', give your go some show
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM
kmonty2's Avatar
kmonty2 kmonty2 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 1,311
kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
kmonty
Your correct, I checked it out on mine after work. My wife's Explorer you have to turn it off through the LCD screen menu. That must have been what I was thinking about, I did see my button on the dash.
__________________


Kevin
2011 F-250 CC, 6.2 Gas, 3.73, 4x4 w/FX4, Tuxedo Black, Steel Cloth interior,Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's, Air Aid Intake, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Hellwig adjustable sway bar, 5 Star Tuned, Line X bed liner, X Tang Tri-Fold bed cover.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
GSSF17's Avatar
GSSF17 GSSF17 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
GSSF17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am definitely gonna try it (turning the TC off) around town for a tank to see if the MPG increases. Heck, it can't hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Flatbed Ed's Avatar
Flatbed Ed Flatbed Ed is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPR View Post
i'm pretty sure he is going to be stuck pushing the button every time he starts the truck, according to experience and the user manual.

remember, there are also different settings you change, depending on how long you press the 'traction control' button. briefly pressing it will just turn of traction control. holding the button for a few seconds with also turn of 'Electronic Stability Control' and 'Roll Stability Control'. If you are traveling over 35mph, the ESC and RSC will automatically re-engage, leaving only TCS as being off.
I don't think my chassis cab has anti-roll or stability control since it is a dually. I am still seeing improved mpg today, up to 13.6 mpg.
Not bad for a one ton flatbed truck with a reliable gas motor.
__________________
2012 F-350 Chassis Cab,12-ft flatbed,6.2 gas
X-PSD driver, done with diesels
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM
TosaFords's Avatar
TosaFords TosaFords is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 334
TosaFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TosaFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPR View Post
The LCD screen will just display if TCS is on or off. You can't control it from there. I'm also pretty sure that the LCD screen displays nothing about ESC or RSC being on or off, but the user manual explains it. I have also tested out the ESC being off versus just having the TCS off.

You can tell a difference on a gravel road. With just TCS off, you will still maintain positive traction, leaving 2 peel out marks (the best setting for going offroad). With ESC turned off, your truck will act like a true open differential, leaving 1 peel out mark (I see no practical purpose for turning this off).
Holding the button until the AdvanceTrac off message is displayed and disabling the RSC/ESC is helpful when you are laying on the frame in the mud and trying to get pulled out. When all 4 tires start spinning even in 4LO that system will kick in and try to make them stop slipping by cutting power way back.

I had this happen to me. I couldn't figure out why my truck seemed to be stumbling while trying to get out. The Lower Control Arms on the front axle were hooked in the ground good and when the tires started slipping the AdvanceTrac system cut my power and I stopped dead. Took one hell of a tug to get me out. Once I turned off TCS/AdvanceTrac the truck would finally let me have full power in 4LO to help climb my way out of the holes I had dug my self into.

I will also add that I have an E-Locker so I had had 3 tires digging when I was trying to get through.
__________________
Ryan

2012 F-250 XL CC/LB 4x4 - 6.2L V8 - 3.73 E-Locker - FX4 - 35/12.50/17 Toyo Open County MTs - ReadyLift SST 2.5" Front / 3" Rear Lift
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM
fg250's Avatar
fg250 fg250 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: oswego, new york
Posts: 478
fg250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaFords View Post
Holding the button until the AdvanceTrac off message is displayed and disabling the RSC/ESC is helpful when you are laying on the frame in the mud and trying to get pulled out. When all 4 tires start spinning even in 4LO that system will kick in and try to make them stop slipping by cutting power way back.

I had this happen to me. I couldn't figure out why my truck seemed to be stumbling while trying to get out. The Lower Control Arms on the front axle were hooked in the ground good and when the tires started slipping the AdvanceTrac system cut my power and I stopped dead. Took one hell of a tug to get me out. Once I turned off TCS/AdvanceTrac the truck would finally let me have full power in 4LO to help climb my way out of the holes I had dug my self into.

I will also add that I have an E-Locker so I had had 3 tires digging when I was trying to get through.
when I put my truck in 4lo, I get a message that says advancetrac off.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
RAPR's Avatar
RAPR RAPR is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Youngsville, LA
Posts: 295
RAPR is starting off with a positive reputation.
RAPR
Agreed, it say in the operating manual that when in 4Lo, all TCS, ESC, and RSC are automatically turned off. In 4Hi or 2wd they remain on until turned off.
__________________

2011 F-250 CC - 6.2L, 4x4, 3.73, Lariat Ultimate Pkg, ReadyLift 3.5"Fx3.0"R lift kit, 295/70-18 Terra Grapplers
'Capital Campers', give your go some show
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Definitive Answers on Traction Control System (2011+ models) troverman Super Duty & Heavy Duty 8 06-25-2014 07:24 AM
Disable TCS? 1936JDB Super Duty & Heavy Duty 4 10-15-2011 01:17 PM
Traction control kper05 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 10 08-23-2010 08:17 PM
Traction control disable Nickhaulass 1968-2013 Full Size Vans 1 05-01-2010 10:20 PM
Traction Control CAN be disabled cpdorroh 2009 - 2014 F150 2 02-04-2009 08:33 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup