Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather and diesel ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok guys today I started my 7.3 and it really smoked a lot for about 4-5 minutes. Normally I get the white smoke for maybe a minute max. Now today was a lot colder than normal at -24F is this normal? And where the heck is the block heater. I've looked under the bumper and must be blind because I can't see it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Originally Posted by jspence105
Ok guys today I started my 7.3 and it really smoked a lot for about 4-5 minutes. Normally I get the white smoke for maybe a minute max. Now today was a lot colder than normal at -24F is this normal? And where the heck is the block heater. I've looked under the bumper and must be blind because I can't see it.
On the 02, its on the drivers side next to the fog light. it may be zip-tied up, or someone may have cut it off

Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
I'm going to have to get my kids to look at it. I'm positive nicmike said it was there when he looked at it. I should have looked before it got so freaking cold.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
Whats wrong with the Amsoil motor oil?
It say's "Amsoil" on it.

Stewart

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM
grishw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
Whats wrong with the Amsoil motor oil? Or are you just talking about the additives?
Personally I have 4 or 5 folks I know and they run amsoil in everything they can. My diesel mechanic also is a big believer and he sees the insides of diesel motors all day long. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
With Mikes help I was finally able to find the block heater plug. If anyone else is looking for it I suggest on your back looking up between the fog light and the tow hook. you won't be able to pull it out from there but it will show what wire to pull on and having the hands of a 12 year old girl wouldn't hurt either. Mine was caught between a couple of other hoses and was hard to get out.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Opinions are just that subjective to ones own info. I have worked on and run my own trucks for 35 plus years. My 85 Ford ran clean for 20 years with gas as a winter mix. When I sold it the new owner took it to a shop for a rebuild and was told the motor looked and measured near new. The only problem was the lack of a turbo for speed. with only 100,000 miles on the block I would hope to see nothing more. Running only gas is and always been bad for the diesel trucks.

For decades truckers have added regular gas to their tanks. Before you tell me you know of no one that has means little. It is done and in my longest owned diesel it worked very well. Others used Kerosene but I do not like storing it just for the winter. I have never gelled or had any problems starting my rigs in the winter using this method. Only on my little VW motor have I had a problem with the cold.

If you insist on telling others they should not post opinions here or anywhere back it up with a proven fact that makes the point. Auto manufactures recommend changing oil 3000 miles when oil testing shows with our diesels we can go 5000 to as much as 10000 miles. Several have sent the oil out for testing and found the oil was still quite usable.

Anti gel additives are done all winter by the fuel companies. I have never had to add extra anti gel in California beyond what the stations already have. The OP did not state he had any gelling or fuel problems to indicate so. Just he had a hard start. He added he prefers Amsoil. As a counter I suggested DieselKleen and regular gas at 1 gallon to 40 diesel. Show me where anyone has found this to damage or destroy a motor. The DieselKleen gives the needed lubrication we lost with low sulfur fuel, the regular gas is just an old truckers trick that has worked well for me over 20 years. It does little I am sure as these trucks will burn anything.

Primarily the OP needs to check out his electrical system for strong batteries with solid ground properties, working charging system, proper glow plugs and solid working glow plug system. If after all of these checks are good then I would look at fuel supplements. Whether he chooses gas, amsoil, diesel Kleen or any other product the tests have been done to show which are scientifically better. Still if the owner is not comfortable with a product he or she should not use it. With the exception of the extreme northern truck owners the factory equipment works well with nothing added just maintained. Ford does not recommend anything we have talked about other than maintaining the electrical systems. Anything else used would void the warranty. Warranties on an 04 Ex is null and void most likely anyways.

Whew now that that is off my chest and the temps are coming back up how is the OP doing with his truck and what did he find that works for him?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by grishw1
Personally I have 4 or 5 folks I know and they run amsoil in everything they can. My diesel mechanic also is a big believer and he sees the insides of diesel motors all day long. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, I know. Most people who have an opinion on Amsoil products usually fall into two very distinct categories: Love it or hate it.

It is what it is. I'm not bashing it, not like I bash OEM 4x4 Excursion springs. I'm just saying I won't run Amsoil and don't like their products.

Originally Posted by mtnsammy
As a counter I suggested DieselKleen and regular gas at 1 gallon to 40 diesel. Show me where anyone has found this to damage or destroy a motor.
Those of us who have been around the forums and diesel tech info know a 1:40 mix won't hurt anything. But to be fair, so as not to confuse someone who might not be as well versed as others, you really should qualify your post whenever you suggest the mix.

There are tons of threads where people have asked for help because they or a friend accidentally filled their tank with gas. So your post, without context, can really confuse someone.

Just a thought, brother.

Stewart

Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stewart you are well respected with me on your advise here. I agree with validation and proof when available. On my original post;

Originally Posted by mtnsammy
I get in the singles regularly here in Big Bear. Great Batteries are really needed. Good ones won't do. I also add 1 gallon regular gas to the tank with the 40 gal fillup. I use the silver Diesel Kleen and only plug in when temps will go below 10. My Suzuki with a VW diesel has a real hard time in the singles but not the Ex. It will turn slower near zero but starts every time.

I do mention the 1;40 ratio. My main point is the real problem with OP seemed to be not additives but electrical. Hopefully the OP will find the real problem. I know these PSD can be a real PIA. Early I bought an AE scanner so I can weed out problems quickly. KL Hansen on another forum has a great coldstart/ hardstart tech series that is of immense value with these trucks. It even goes into the Glow Plug testing and such. I now back out so the OP can go on with his truck and the final repairs.