1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

BURN IT TO THE GROUND

Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BURN IT TO THE GROUND

So still working on my grandfather’s truck. Today I pickedup the new Fuel pressure regulator kit with new spring, valve, plug and o ringfrom ford. Installed it and basically no change. The truck was still took asecond to start and then died, cranked the engine over again and even with thepedal depressed about half way the rpms just hung right around 400 rpms forabout 15-20 seconds before she started smoothing out. The truck was dieselingvery loud so I shut her off and doubled check the spring (it was good and fuelpressure was at 65 pounds). I dumped the fuel out of the bowl and checked thefilter and added about a half can of sea foam. I then started the truck andadded the other half of the can to the rear fuel tank. I drove the truck downto the fuel station and added $40 in the rear tank. By the time I got back tomy street the truck seemed like she was running smoother and the loud dieselinghad returned to normal. I parked the truck at the end of the drive way and keptthe engine running while I unloaded some gas cans for the lawn equipment and that’swhen it happened. She died at the end of the drive way. No strange sounds, nohesitation, just like if someone had shut off the key and will not even try tostart.

I pulled the brand new CPS out and installed the old one andthere was no change. I tried to place the CPS in the hole and rotate it 30degrees in both directions and still no change.

I verified that the fuel pressure regulator spring is goodand not bent.

I also checked the fuel pressure with a tire pressure gaugewhile cranking and it holds right at 65 pounds during cranking.

Also checked the valve cover gasket harness on the outsideto make sure it was tight and that none of the plugs had come lose.

Guys I need help on this one. I have about 4 weeks before I hadplanned on taking this truck back to my grandfather and I have invested about$600 into her so far.

I have contacted DP tuner and plan on sending the ECU backto them for a few adjustments to the shift points after the last tune.

Also thinking about pulling all 8 injectors and sending themoff for flow testing and new O rings.

I also still have the oil cooler issue to work out.

This was kind of a new problem. Its been one after anotherto be truthful but here is the full run down.

Truck has 250,000 on the clock and was purchased from aconstruction company at auction. The owner of the company had passed away in2008 and the truck sat in a field along with 20 other trucks for 4 years. Mygrandfather purchased the truck for towing use traveling mostly on mountainroads and going no further than 200 miles from home. My grandfather is not a diesel mechanic by anymeans so I picked up the truck charismas eve, changed all the fluids andfilters, and drove back to NC where I have been working on it and trying to getit 100%.

The first issue wasthe CPS sensor. Dropped a new one in and the truck ran decent with some coldstarting issues.

After some trouble shooting I found that 6 of the 8 glowplus had taken a crap. So replaced all 8 with Motorcrafts. Cold start issuefixed

The oil was nasty even after the first change so I flushedit with 15/40 and changed the filter again. No major change but oil pressuredid seem to be slightly higher and it still looks good after 200 miles.

I drove the truck about 2 hours north and back and noticedthe oil dipstick adapter was leaking about 1 quart every 300 miles. (this issue has not been fixed since I justgot the o ring kit from ford today)

I continued to fix miner issues and made a few miner mods.Replaced the broken air box with a intake from riffraff diesel, and added a 3inch down pipe along with cat delete pipe keeping the stock muffler andexhaust.

At this point the truck was running decent but seemed to belacking power. I checked the fuel pressure and noticed it was a little higher thannormal. On inspection I found the spring on the fuel pressure regulator wasbent. This is also about the time I sent the ECU off to DP tuner for a 40hp towtune.

After getting the ecu back and changing the spring out thetruck started and seem to run a little better. She could make it up a smallhill in 4th gear without dropping to 3rd. But I onlydrove the truck about 2 miles on this first test drive. The next day I wasexcited to take her to work and see how she did on the high way but the truckseemed to be having a cold start issue (it wasn’t) Even when the truck is warmafter running it keeps acting like Its 20 degrees out side. She also died on me3 times in 50 miles.

Today I got the full kit from ford to replace the spring,valve, o ring, and plug on the FPR because I had figured that might have beenthe issue. Also added some sea foam to the fuel filter housing and inspectedthe filter. The truck seemed to run smoother but still lacked power. When I saylacked power it struggled to go up a small hill unloaded. I was giving it 75%throttle and the RPMs hovering around 3000 in 3rd gear. You couldhear the turbo but she was struggling bad. When I got back home I startedunloading fuel cans for the lawn equipment and figured I would let the truckrun so the turbo could cool down. She died. And will not start now.

I think I cover most everything on here. This is not mytruck and I am paying most of this out of pocket to help my grandfather. Iwanted to do this for him since he has done so much for me over the years. He is also 75 years old and his current Chevyhas eaten 3 NV4500s mostly due to transfer case pump rub issues. So it is very importantthat I make this truck as sound as possible without braking the bank.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Do you have a wait to start light yet?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User
Yes it comes on for a few seconds and then clicks off. You can still see the drain on the voltage gauge for about 30 seconds after.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Have you seen this chart?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byb4...VGc/edit?pli=1

Click on that little thingy...I have no idea why that came up..

i fixed the link for you Darin..Tom

Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you verified that the oil level is where it should be?
Have you checked the ICP for oil in the connector?

I feel like I'm late to the party here, is there another thread on this issue that I missed? A link to that, if there is one, would be nice, or maybe just a summary of how this started and what you've tried so far.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Did you solve the oil /fuel in the coolant yet ?...Why are you messing with the FPR ?

It would be best for all involved to keep your problem in one thread ...

Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User

This was kind of a new problem. Its been one after anotherto be truthful but here is the full run down.

Truck has 250,000 on the clock and was purchased from aconstruction company at auction. The owner of the company had passed away in2008 and the truck sat in a field along with 20 other trucks for 4 years. Mygrandfather purchased the truck for towing use traveling mostly on mountainroads and going no further than 200 miles from home. My grandfather is not a diesel mechanic by anymeans so I picked up the truck charismas eve, changed all the fluids andfilters, and drove back to NC where I have been working on it and trying to getit 100%.

The first issue wasthe CPS sensor. Dropped a new one in and the truck ran decent with some coldstarting issues.

After some trouble shooting I found that 6 of the 8 glowplus had taken a crap. So replaced all 8 with Motorcrafts. Cold start issuefixed

The oil was nasty even after the first change so I flushedit with 15/40 and changed the filter again. No major change but oil pressuredid seem to be slightly higher and it still looks good after 200 miles.

I drove the truck about 2 hours north and back and noticedthe oil dipstick adapter was leaking about 1 quart every 300 miles. (this issue has not been fixed since I justgot the o ring kit from ford today)

I continued to fix miner issues and made a few miner mods.Replaced the broken air box with a intake from riffraff diesel, and added a 3inch down pipe along with cat delete pipe keeping the stock muffler andexhaust.

At this point the truck was running decent but seemed to belacking power. I checked the fuel pressure and noticed it was a little higher thannormal. On inspection I found the spring on the fuel pressure regulator wasbent. This is also about the time I sent the ECU off to DP tuner for a 40hp towtune.

After getting the ecu back and changing the spring out thetruck started and seem to run a little better. She could make it up a smallhill in 4th gear without dropping to 3rd. But I onlydrove the truck about 2 miles on this first test drive. The next day I wasexcited to take her to work and see how she did on the high way but the truckseemed to be having a cold start issue (it wasn’t) Even when the truck is warmafter running it keeps acting like Its 20 degrees out side. She also died on me3 times in 50 miles.

Today I got the full kit from ford to replace the spring,valve, o ring, and plug on the FPR because I had figured that might have beenthe issue. Also added some sea foam to the fuel filter housing and inspectedthe filter. The truck seemed to run smoother but still lacked power. When I saylacked power it struggled to go up a small hill unloaded. I was giving it 75%throttle and the RPMs hovering around 3000 in 3rd gear. You couldhear the turbo but she was struggling bad. When I got back home I startedunloading fuel cans for the lawn equipment and figured I would let the truckrun so the turbo could cool down. She died. And will not start now.

I think I cover most everything on here. This is not mytruck and I am paying most of this out of pocket to help my grandfather. Iwanted to do this for him since he has done so much for me over the years. He is also 75 years old and his current Chevyhas eaten 3 NV4500s mostly due to transfer case pump rub issues. So it is very importantthat I make this truck as sound as possible without braking the bank.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have a scangauge capable of seeing duty cycle and other parameters?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User
NO i do not.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User
Need some major help with this one guys. Any advice is welcome.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Have you verified that the oil level is where it should be?
Have you checked the ICP for oil in the connector?

I feel like I'm late to the party here, is there another thread on this issue that I missed? A link to that, if there is one, would be nice, or maybe just a summary of how this started and what you've tried so far.
From my understanding the ICP would only make it run rough not fail to start.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not necessarily. One thing that can cause the issues you're describing is to have a stuck IPR, and often unplugging the ICP and trying to start the truck with it unplugged will unstick the IPR. The two devices work in tandem to control your High Pressure Oil (HPO) which in turn controls FUELING.

I am trying to give you some very simple things to try as you're saying you really need some help. You can either try the things that are being suggested or start buying expensive parts to guess at replacing. It's your choice.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Not necessarily. One thing that can cause the issues you're describing is to have a stuck IPR, and often unplugging the ICP and trying to start the truck with it unplugged will unstick the IPR. The two devices work in tandem to control your High Pressure Oil (HPO) which in turn controls FUELING.

I am trying to give you some very simple things to try as you're saying you really need some help. You can either try the things that are being suggested or start buying expensive parts to guess at replacing. It's your choice.

LOL. Well thanks for putting that bluntly. And I prefer trouble shooting and simple fixes before throwing money at the problem. If that was the case I would just take the truck to the stealer ship… Of course that would also require me to give them my right arm and leg.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
cbr600rx7
Senior User
I also ask a lot of questions so I can learn so please dont think i am blowing you off when i ask a ton of questions. I have owned 5 diesels to date and only one of those was a IDI 7.3 with factory turbo so my experience with the DI powerstrokes is very limited. While this has been a major challenge and is testing my nerves on a daily bases it has been a great learning opportunity. Most of my back ground is on Gen III/IV GM motors or common rail diesels so the HPOP system on the powerstroke has been very interesting to learn about.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with the possibilty of the IPR being stuck ...since it did sit for a while... But , Have you considered replacing the IDM ? Do you have one you could borrow just to try ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BURN IT TO THE GROUND