Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

The IDI turbocharger thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:18 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy7
I just picked up a used Hypermax kit, and was checking if the specs were listed here. What exhaust housing are you considering the "right" one?
The Hmax kit is basically identical to the ATS088. H3 compressor wheel and P-trim exhaust wheel. The H3 compressor is the same wheel the 093 uses as well.

The Hmax is better in the sense that it uses standard turbo parts, not proprietary housings, so its easily up-gradable. Id toss a .84 T4 exhaust housing on it if that was the only turbo i had to run.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford F834
The closest thing I have been able to find to a map for the gen II Banks sidewinder (TE06H) is a map for the Mitsubishi TD06H. Not sure what the difference is, but iirc they are pretty much the same thing...
I hate to say it, but I've really got no clue how to interpret these graphs.
How can I map what I'm currently getting from my turbo(te06h) onto here, I guess to see where I'm pushing it?

I'm hitting 6 PSI of boost at 1800RPM(max) and 20 PSI at 2800RPM.

I'm thinking I'm /really/ overdriving that turbo at the high end, and I'd be really interested in what my exhaust(drive) pressures are.

And then, try to come up with a better turbo for the job that will still give me low end boost.

Thanks.

edit:
I'm currently thinking that something like this S366( http://www.ebay.com/itm/181877367419 ) might be a good turbo at the high end, but I'm not sure how the low end will be.
Spooling time is less of an issue than 'will not go over X PSI period' at the low end, which is something I run into with my TE06H - No matter the timing, or the fact that I can give it enough fuel to make a black cloud behind me, it simply will not boost more than, say, 6 PSI at 1800, under full heavy load. At higher RPMs it will boost better, and I'm still not sure why it works that way.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 PM
0 Xero 0
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel doesn't cause turbos to drive harder or to spool to a certain pressure. You are limited because of how much air you are displacing from the exhaust strokes. I don't know how well these heads flow... Justin could speak to that better. I think these would flow decently considering these engines were originally N/A. A bigger turbo will not help you in regards to spooling better down low. Most turbos will not spool much better than that below 2000 rpm unless they're VGTs. You could get a spool flange if the turbine housing is divided and that would decrease spool up by a couple hundred rpm or so. Fuel helps to spool up a turbo, but too much fuel will actually cause the opposite. You can snuff out a turbo from spooling with too much fuel down low. This link shows how to read a compressor map: Choosing a Turbo | Turbobygarrett

It gets into the weeds a bit, but shouldn't be too hard to understand.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard R&D is coming out with a factory mounting aftermarket turbo setup? I am really interested in this setup when it comes out as i purchased a rebuilt turbo and had a wicked wheel installed and it continues to leak oil from the compressor housing (from the CDR oil) despite my replacing the housing O-ring and RTVing the damaged mating surface.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I heard R&D is coming out with a factory mounting aftermarket turbo setup? I am really interested in this setup when it comes out as i purchased a rebuilt turbo and had a wicked wheel installed and it continues to leak oil from the compressor housing (from the CDR oil) despite my replacing the housing O-ring and RTVing the damaged mating surface.
Yes, it was shown on the Facebook group. Justin fitted a 093 turbine housing to a stage 1. It is a direct drop in that will even work with the ATS intake hat. He just has to work out a few details with the wastegate and they will be available for sale. The stage 1 turbo is a dynamo. It flows 65 lbs./min and can support ~350 whp. This is awesome news for 093 owners!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:02 AM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Yes, it was shown on the Facebook group. Justin fitted a 093 turbine housing to a stage 1. It is a direct drop in that will even work with the ATS intake hat. He just has to work out a few details with the wastegate and they will be available for sale. The stage 1 turbo is a dynamo. It flows 65 lbs./min and can support ~350 whp. This is awesome news for 093 owners!
Yup, after a couple emails last night he called me, we spoke for a while and i ordered one to replace my rebuilt wicked wheel setup. I also ordered the upgraded exhaust outlet and down pipe to replace my banks. I'll be sure to post pictures and record inlet/outlet temps, egt, pressure etc before i remove it and after i install it. I am currious how much clearence there is with the turbo compressor housing and intake hat when the turbo is clocked and the hat is rotated. I was limited how far i could rotate the intake hat by when it hit the compressor housing. I had to rotate compressor housing so two of the bolts straddled the hat.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:58 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry I havent been around lately, Ive been working on a lot of stuff, the most important of which has been making R&D my full time focus, and Im finally there. I appreciate all the support of R&D products making it possible, and that being the case, stuff is quickly ramping up now that I have the time to put into it.

Keeping it on topic, the latest addition to the R&D turbo lineup is mentioned above. It started when I was looking at a bunch of turbo parts on my shelf, and I laid the stage-1 compressor over the factory unit. I started taking measurements, and though the idea crossed my mind earlier, it wasnt until I actually started comparing stuff when I thought it was possible enough to try. I wasnt happy with what my factory upgrades finally worked out to living up to, even though they made more power than stock, they seemed to not live up to the flow the wheels are capable of, and I attribute that to the nature of the T04B housing. Knowing what the Stage-1 is capable of, and knowing that the compressor housing could physically fit in place of the stock unit, it was a matter of adapting the factory turbine housing to the Stage-1 turbo for a factory drop in. I coupled that with a new WG actuator that is stouter than the factory unit, and gave it all the perks of the upgrades...

Name:  IMG_20160521_180358997_zpsfocsywfb.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  185.3 KB
Name:  IMG_20160521_180412563_zpsvtyxon4r.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  183.0 KB
Name:  IMG_20160521_180424243_zps1yvinhop.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  164.9 KB

And the compressor map...

Name:  Stage1mapped_zpsqcxswtq5.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  129.7 KB

This is using the same calculations as Ive always used, and shows that the turbo is good to well above 30psi, but is biased to the 2000rpm range, where you are travelling down the freeway at the speed limit, with your heavy *** load. Its basically the perfect turbo for guys with 90-110cc of fuel, and using their truck for work, or Stage-1 stuff.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:35 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like that. That would be a viable solution for me. I've been thinking of putting a turbo on my F350

Old 06-24-2016, 03:43 PM
91f350idiats
New User
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Sorry I havent been around lately, Ive been working on a lot of stuff, the most important of which has been making R&D my full time focus, and Im finally there. I appreciate all the support of R&D products making it possible, and that being the case, stuff is quickly ramping up now that I have the time to put into it.

Keeping it on topic, the latest addition to the R&D turbo lineup is mentioned above. It started when I was looking at a bunch of turbo parts on my shelf, and I laid the stage-1 compressor over the factory unit. I started taking measurements, and though the idea crossed my mind earlier, it wasnt until I actually started comparing stuff when I thought it was possible enough to try. I wasnt happy with what my factory upgrades finally worked out to living up to, even though they made more power than stock, they seemed to not live up to the flow the wheels are capable of, and I attribute that to the nature of the T04B housing. Knowing what the Stage-1 is capable of, and knowing that the compressor housing could physically fit in place of the stock unit, it was a matter of adapting the factory turbine housing to the Stage-1 turbo for a factory drop in. I coupled that with a new WG actuator that is stouter than the factory unit, and gave it all the perks of the upgrades...

And the compressor map...

This is using the same calculations as Ive always used, and shows that the turbo is good to well above 30psi, but is biased to the 2000rpm range, where you are travelling down the freeway at the speed limit, with your heavy *** load. Its basically the perfect turbo for guys with 90-110cc of fuel, and using their truck for work, or Stage-1 stuff.

So would this particular kit work on a 91 7.3 I'd with the Ats kit on it now?

Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Hey, Justin (And whom ever else wants to know) ...

I see a siphon type blast cabinet in the back ground, as you know (most do) they suck at best.

There is a company in Tacoma that sells upgrades to turn them into a bottom feed dream machine!

Tacoma Company ... Same name for a link, Unfortunately the web page is just a place marker with little more then contact info.

They have Shakers, Guns, Foot pedals, pretty much everything you might want and are very knowledgeable folks about blasting ... Call them and they pretty much build a custom kit just for you!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-25-2016, 12:20 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 91f350idiats
Yes. That was his intent with producing this kit.

Get ahold of him here.

http://www.idiperformance.com

Old 06-25-2016, 01:10 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Well, depends on which ATS kit you have on your 1991. They made three different models. If you have the newest wastegated 093 model then yes. That is what is shown in the pictures. If you have either of the earlier non-wastegated models then no. The turbine wheel is a P trim wheel and larger than the stage 1 turbine so the exhaust housing can't be modified to work with that turbo. So check which kit you have first.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:45 AM
91f350idiats
New User
Well, depends on which ATS kit you have on your 1991. They made three different models. If you have the newest wastegated 093 model then yes. That is what is shown in the pictures. If you have either of the earlier non-wastegated models then no. The turbine wheel is a P trim wheel and larger than the stage 1 turbine so the exhaust housing can't be modified to work with that turbo. So check which kit you have first.
Alright I'll have to look I just bought the truck for a grand, it needs some work this is my first diesel thanks for the info

Old 06-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
I just got done installing one of Justin's upgraded turbo's heres the thread with pictures

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ked-wheel.html

Old 06-25-2016, 05:59 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Alright I'll have to look I just bought the truck for a grand, it needs some work this is my first diesel thanks for the info
Does it have a wastegate? If so, then its the right one.

Quick Reply: The IDI turbocharger thread...