Sponsored by: Moser

Rear back glass install on 1978 F250

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
earth2lunarbase
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear back glass install on 1978 F250

I got a new back glass and rubber seal from LMC and I have attepmted to install the rear back glass but have failed. I cannot seem to keep the rubber seal around the glass to even try and install it to the body. it keeps coming off. Is there any trick to this I am unaware of or is this how it is supposed to be for install?
The problem I am having is trying to keep the seal around the glass.
If not does anyone know of a good mobile glass installer near Nashville so I can get this done?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used short pieces of masking tape when i put the back glass in my falcon. stick it on one side of the glass then wrap it over the seal and stick the other side. Then you have to pull the tape out as you go.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:22 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Mine stayed on the glass OK, but getting it in the cab was a new story. I did have an issue with trying to put the wrong grooves in the wrong places, like the glass groove was headed to the cab, and the cab groove was in the glass or something, I watched a youtube video, and lone and behold the window was in the cab 10 minutes later.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have bought seals like that that are made to big and they are a problem. The last flat one i did i had to stretch it a little to get it on the glass and it installed real easy.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the glass guys do my windshield and rear glass with new LMC seals....Boy did they do lots of swearing...They said it was REALLY stiff...went in, but not without a fight.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM
earth2lunarbase
New User
Thanks guys for the advice. I should check youtube as well to see if anything will help. Jim, I will try the tape to se if that helps.Could it be the seals are to big?

Highoctane, you had the issue with the seals being stiff, did you notice the installers fighting to get the seal around the new glass?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes they had a really hard time getting it on the glass. When they tried putting it in the truck, they broke the first windshield. The one problem was the lip wouldn't fold around on the inside, they fought for a long time. Now that I think about it, I ended up pulling a OEM one out of another truck for the back one. It was just to tuff.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Here is what works for me....I glue (windshield sealant) to the glass, let it dry/cure overnight, and then install it the following day.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's the problem with those aftermarket seals, some work really well, others don't. I go OEM all the way for windshield and rear glass through Dennis Carpenter. A little more money, but worth it in the long run. But, I like what HIOsilver stated with gluing and then waiting for cure to keep the seal on. Plus, the glue would give a little more seal.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you doing this alone? It goes easier with 2 people. Full back window? Buy some window suction cups at Harbor Freight. This helps take the fatigue from your hands. When I installed my LMC seal, I used lots of soapy water around the seal. I also used plastic coated cable to pull the glass in. The seal did try to separate from the glass, but sucked back in when the seal properly sealed. Total time was 45 minutes.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 PM
earth2lunarbase
New User
I will have help, my problem was trying to get the seal around the new glass. I think I made it more difficult than it should have been.

The original sliding window was blown out so the guy I bought it from added the new window, seal, and trim from LMC so it is what I have to work with. I like the idea of glue on the window however, I think I will try masking tape first. I got some inspiration from a youtube video as well as some fellow FTE's and will try to install it tomorrow.

I will most likely look at D Carpenter for the door gaskets if not Steele Rubber (both seem to have the best weatherstripping out there)

Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 PM
earth2lunarbase
New User
Also the old window is sliding the new one is full glass.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We put the rear glass in my Crew Cab Friday. I had DC rubber, but the rear gasket was way too big for the glass. What we did was find the joint in the seal and put it about the middle of the bottom of the glass. Then we worked it on around the bottom and top corners. That gave us a feel for how much too long the rubber was. We then pulled some slack back to the bottom and taped it all the way across the glass. We then did the same up the sides, then across the top.

That got the gasket on the glass. Then we sprayed the gap in the gasket really well with soapy water, put some string in the gap all around, and started the install.We had a problem getting the outside bottom to roll all the way out. I used a plastic trim removal tool to work the gasket into place there and the glass dropped about 1/4 inch. That allowed us to get the rest of the gasket pulled inside. Then it was a simple matter of working the trim tool and 'bumping' the edge of the glass to finish seating it. Took about 30 minutes to work it into the cab, but it looks great now.

Last edited by VocaTexas; 01-20-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-10-2020, 01:22 PM
Grant Vogel
Freshman User
A friend of mine took the sliding windows out and glued some sort of fabric/Velcro to the top and bottom edges to stiffen them up in the track a bit. Not sure how well it works but it could be worth a shot

Old 11-10-2020, 07:14 PM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
here are a couple links

Quick Reply: Rear back glass install on 1978 F250