Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch mod tips for the weekend warrior

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hutch mod tips for the weekend warrior

So you say you've been lurking on FTE and have a budding case of Powerstroke Modification Syndrome (PMS), but have this nagging little problem of not being a professional mechanic, so you're somewhat hesitant to really start taking apart your only mode of transportation. If you like to spend your hard-earned dough on other things and fancy yourself a reasonably-dangerous so-it-yourselfer, you've likely decided to tackle a few of the upgrades described by the very knowledgeable resources we have here. Most of the folks here could knock these out in their sleep, but for us mere mortals we appreciate a little boost now and then.

With that in mind, wanted to offer up a couple of tips that might be helpful to you when tackling the eminently-popular Hutch Modification. I had the pleasure of doing this yesterday and the instructions on Guzzle's site are tremendously helpful. This are just a couple of things not mentioned in great detail in otherwise available documents I thought might assist the layperson not as familiar with the fuel storage and delivery setup in our rigs.

First thing is dropping the tank. There are 5 things on top that need to be disconnected before loosening and removing the straps. These are the two vent tubes, the fuel supply line, the return line, and the electrical connector for the sending unit. Challenge is that all of these things (other than than the sender plug, which is on the frame rail) are on top of the tank and if you're reaching semi-blind I thought it'd be helpful to know in advance where these are located and how they are oriented. So, I offer the attached photo (first one) of the top of my tank. My rear vent line was so short I actually dropped the tank a couple inches and it came off on its own before I was able to jam my mitt in there. Luckily, it just slid off without breaking the fitting, but be especially careful with that one. The vent lines just pull off. After they're off, you have room to drop several inches and get to the fuel connectors, so start with the vent lines and then don't be afraid to drop it to a more comfortable height.

Next is how to work on the delicate pickup assembly once it's out of the tank, holding it in an accessible position without damaging anything. I found it helpful to use a large vise and lightly clamp it upside down (second photo, shown during partial disassembly). This made removal of the stock mixing chamber and installation of the new return line and pickup boot nice and easy since you can manually move the float upwards to ensure the return line clears the float's swing arc.

Last thing I found very helpful was to use a small set of vise grips on the 3/8" drill bit to ream out the factory pickup boot. Clamping the bit like this let's you hold the drill bit almost like a "T-handle", giving you a lot of dexterity for this delicate operation.

One lesson learned that I wouldn't do again is before I started I disconnected the line at the fuel pump and ran compressed air back into the tank to clear the pickup screen. That was really dumb. As you can see in the last photo, my pickup screen was clean when I removed it, because I backwashed everything it caught right back into the tank, and it'll get picked up by the next screen. While I have no excuse for my actions, but if the "good idea fairy" lands on your shoulder and suggests this, tell her to take a hike. In a related story, I have an extra stock pickup boot with screen in perfect condition. If brother needs it, it's yours. I think they go for about $30 otherwise.

Hope some of this is helpful to those less experienced folks out there contemplating this modification. In all, took me about 4 hours to do by myself using two floor jacks and some 2' sections of 4x4 for the tank dropping/raising. That's really the only dicey part when working it solo. Certainly worth the time and minimal material investment, quieted my truck down considerably. Good luck!

Tom

Attached Images    
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Cell's
Senior User
Thank-you for the tips . It's on my list of things to be done once the weather warms abit but maybe once i move to my new house with the double garage , I might just get it in and do it with my coolant filter install .

Reps given .

Oh yeah , is there hose clamps on the vent tubes ??

Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the explaination and most importantly, the photos with arrows pointing to each part.

I'll tackle this project eventually...

Reps sent.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cell's
Thank-you for the tips . It's on my list of things to be done once the weather warms abit but maybe once i move to my new house with the double garage , I might just get it in and do it with my coolant filter install .

Reps given .

Oh yeah , is there hose clamps on the vent tubes ??
Thanks Marcel. Mine didn't have any clamps, worm drive, spring, or otherwise, on the vent lines. They pull straight off. Since the back wasn't oriented 90 degrees to the tank the picture is helpful for knowing which direction to pull.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Tom where did you choose to grab the Hutch Mod kit from??

Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Originally Posted by petrokiller
Tom where did you choose to grab the Hutch Mod kit from??
There seems to be a few out there or Guzzle's write up actually has a comprehensive parts list for those who want to go shopping. I elected to get a kit from an outfit called "Strictly Diesel".

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=113607

It came with a Baldwin filter, which I might switch to a Wix when the replacement interval comes up. Was planning to ask the more experienced guys on here what they preferred when the time came.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh man this is awesome! Thanks for the added info! I just told my wife 10 mins ago I was going to buy everything to do the hutch and harpoon mods this weekend . Is it that common to have to buy the pick up foot? I guess I wouldn't know if mine is shot or not because I never let it get below half tank.
I've tried looking at strictly diesels site and can't seem to locate the kit for this. Can someone add a link if you would be so kind.
Howellt39 did the pick up foot come with the kit? If not I can take that off your hands for you

Reps sent... I think.... Stupid phone....

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 471 Likes on 324 Posts
x2 on Strictly Diesel's kit. I was able to reuse the pickup foot.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
THank you. Time 2 start dropping the change in the jar.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for posting the link for me. That's a little more than I was planning on spending. Ill have to talk it over with my wife lol. I haven't been working steady for a month... Someone on this site has been kind enough to offer me his pick up foot that he didn't need.... Guess who. Hopefully I don't need it either and if I don't ill hold my end of the bargain and pass it on to someone here. Thanks again