Sponsored by: DP Tuner

lost power assist for brakes and steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
lost power assist for brakes and steering

Was nearly home from work and my truck (Alvin) lost power assist for brakes amd steering. I was able to stop and steer but I had to put some muscle in it. I was only a few blocks from home so it wasn't really a big deal.

So I pop the hood and look around and the fluid level is good and no blown hoses apparent. So, I guess my pump is shot. Has anyone changed one of these things before? I have always rebuilt pumps myself in the past (mostly GM vehicles)...are Ford pumps rebuildable?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a weird one Greg. I am glad you made it home OK. Before you go to pull the pump I would confirm that is the issue by pulling the return hose off the booster and put a piece of hose in a jug and see if it is pumping.

Now I wonder what the psi should be? Maybe put a gauge in between on return see what you have. Just an idea. Now R&I the pumps on Fords the only problem I have ever had was the stupid pulley set up. And I am sure they can be rebuilt but I have never done one. I have only replaced the plastic pump housing & oring. I wouldn't know who sells a rebuild kit?? So if you find one let us know how that goes.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Great idea!
I will check the return line and see if anything comes out.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I replaced mine a good year ago, because of it whining. wasnt that bad, but with the new pump, you getthis white washer that for some reason, doesnt fit over the bolt its supposedly goes around. For some reason, i guess i didnt post a thread abouyt the install nor the ordeal, but i remeber ask'n about the washer. You have to soak it in SOMETHING and once expand, will then fit accordingly...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
I replaced mine a good year ago, because of it whining. wasnt that bad, but with the new pump, you getthis white washer that for some reason, doesnt fit over the bolt its supposedly goes around. For some reason, i guess i didnt post a thread abouyt the install nor the ordeal, but i remeber ask'n about the washer. You have to soak it in SOMETHING and once expand, will then fit accordingly...
Where did you get your replacement pump? Mine started whining around 2008 and I just turned up the radio a little bit until I got used to the sound. I guess I should feel lucky that it lasted 5 more years before failing.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
FORD...i tried the syn ATF flush, gave it time to kick in, but never did..(kill the whine). The new one was a definite inprovement in noise but in functionality, remained the same.

My radios' cranked up to kill the harmonic sound i've had since 4/11

Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Greg, the PS pump is an easy fix, I did mine last year on the 450, i used a pump from Autozone, it was less then 100 bucks, make sure you rent the tool for pulling and installing the pulley as you have to use the tool for both. Once it is off it is one high pressure line and 2 low and 3 bolts, it is as you call it easy peasy Let me know if you need some help.
I think a failing hydro boost can cause your symptoms too. A week pump will exacerbate the problem though.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Nsaan
Greg, the PS pump is an easy fix, I did mine last year on the 450, i used a pump from Autozone, it was less then 100 bucks, make sure you rent the tool for pulling and installing the pulley as you have to use the tool for both. Once it is off it is one high pressure line and 2 low and 3 bolts, it is as you call it easy peasy Let me know if you need some help.
I think a failing hydro boost can cause your symptoms too. A week pump will exacerbate the problem though.
OK thanks! Will a failing hydroboost cause a loss of steering assist also?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
I replaced mine a good year ago, because of it whining. wasnt that bad, but with the new pump, you getthis white washer that for some reason, doesnt fit over the bolt its supposedly goes around. For some reason, i guess i didnt post a thread abouyt the install nor the ordeal, but i remember ask'n about the washer. You have to soak it in SOMETHING and once expand, will then fit accordingly...

I've replaced that white nylon o-ring seal and you have to soak it in really warm water before you put it on. You also need to find something conical that you can slide it onto and ever so slightly expand the seal right after removing it from the hot water and right before you place it over the threaded fitting on the side of the power steering pump. Just make sure when you expand the nylon o-ring that you do not stretch it to the point of it not being able to retract to it's original diameter. This was kind of nerve racking for me since I went through 2 o-rings before I got it right.

Drake

Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
OK thanks! Will a failing hydroboost cause a loss of steering assist also?
If I remember right the high pressure line runs first to the brakes, then down to the steering box, the valve in the hydroboost packs full of crap as it ages and will stick. Causing you to not have steering or brakes. I found this on Youtube, it is for a Chevy astro van but all hydroboosts are pretty much the same. In this video the van comes in with your exact symptoms.
he is a little long winded but if you fast forward a bit it helps, as he shows pretty much the entire replacement.
I have a feeling I am going to get to change out 2 of them on my Fords sooner then later, and if I drive it more, my Dodge, since it sticks and has no brakes some times....

Oh in the above video the line has an oring on the inside of the connection, on ours it is a white nylon on the outside of the connection, the line will still move when the connection is tight, you will break it if you try to get it tight enough that it doesn't move.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cutlass
This was kind of nerve racking for me since I went through 2 o-rings before I got it right.

Drake
Nerve racking, it seemed i couldnt get my water hot enough for it to do anything. Then once i had it where i thought it was plyable, i then dropped it from within. Only to find it in the center of my front spring . Fortunately, was able to jack the front up enough to get the fingers in there..hahaha

Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I recently had a problem with my power steering box sticking and then releasing (several near wrecks). It turns out that debris from the pump was being deposited in the steering box and hydra boost. I had changed the fluid twice in 80k miles and didn't see any debris but oil had darkened.

I changed all three components and added a magnafine filter to the return line near the hydra boost unit.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Increase the rpms and things work fine. Let it idle and nothing. Replace the pump and all is well. Thanks for the help everyone!