1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

TCI Custom IFS and Chassis Engineering IFS - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM
REDHTGT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCI Custom IFS and Chassis Engineering IFS - Questions

First, I must apologize for posting another IFS question. I have searched this site and read many articles. So many that my wife is about to take away my privileges

I have a 1952 Ford that I bought last fall planning on a long term restoration. Recently, I've sold my snowmobile and have the ability to move forward with the build and TCI has a pretty good deal on their kits this month.

I am looking to build this F1 with a 351W and an Explorer 8.8 that I have acquired thought buying vehicles and pulling parts.

My overall build plan is that I would like to lower the truck to the lowest practical limits without air bags and major frame modifications (C-notch is OK). I would also like adjustability because I may play with height or wheel/tire combination)

I have spoken to the team at TCI and seem to like what they offer in the custom 1-piece crossmember suspension (not the MII suspension they offer). It has coil overs and the ability to give me the ride height that I desire (they sent pictures and an article of a truck with the full suspension) . I can also get the rake I want with a 4 link rear and coil overs (at least that is what TCI is telling me). This all sounds great, but it is still pricey, even with the sale (all components front and rear just south of $4000).

Before I pull the trigger, I would like some unbiased thoughts. I was also considering Heidts Superride II or Chassis Engineering Bolt in IFS as they appear similar.

Heidts is also a one piece crossmember coil-over, so I believe that it is extremely similar to TCI besides the camber adjustment method. So far TCI has had excellent customer support and are really quick to answer emails and specific questions so I am leaning toward TCI for a one-piece weld in (plus it is a little less expensive with this sale).

I don't know much about Chassis Engineering besides it is a bolt in and uses Heidts components (I believe). It also appears to be adjustable by moving the top coil mount instead of using coil-overs. Unfortunately, I cannot get Chassis Engineering website to work to really do research.

Long winded, but here is my question:

Does anyone have experience with these suspensions and ride height adjustability to give me some information to help me with a decision? I will also take advice of those telling me "what are you thinking...there is a much better solution with....

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback. Hopefully I can make a decision before my wife takes the computer away

Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Well it all sounds like a good plan as far as IFS and the 8.8 out back with a 4 link. The 351W is an easy fit as well. Now 4k for suspension that is all hidden under fenders is a bit pricy in my book.

Now I have a 51 F1 that I put together for my son and on his I went with the TCI MII kit with power rack and set up with bags for under 2K as wel as installing a dozen or so over the years for customers all with great results. Now you did say you did not want the MII kit but did not mention why? The MII kits being sold these days with upper and lower tubular A arms is a far cry from what started as "MII" kits years ago. They handle great, are easy to install and are 100 times better than what came in these trucks from the factory.

My sons truck has a warmed over 351W, C5 trans, 8.8 put back but in an IRS T-bird set up and it all works and handles great. Not many of these old trucks will cruse at 90+ with one finger on the wheel and then take the curvy roads to the lake like a roller coaster. I know thins is not exactly the info you were looking for but it gives you another look at options for these trucks.

Here is a link to my sons truck for some build info to read and look at.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ion-build.html

Kevin
LFD Inc

Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also think that 4K is a lot for the IFS. I also have a TCI MII weld in that I installed on my 52. I used stock spindles and with the coil overs adjusted to their lowest position my bumper was only 7" above the pavement. The Explorer rear is just about 1 1/2" narrower than the stock, I used one with disc brakes and new CPP leaf springs and added spacers to get a little more width. The TCI IFS is a little wider than the stock original so I had to go with more backspace on my wheels, thus the rear 1 1/4" spacers.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
I also think that 4K is a lot for the IFS.
Just so we're clear, it's not 4K for IFS, it's less than 4K for a complete new and modern suspension front and rear including coilover shocks on all 4 corners. That makes a huge difference. It's not bad money for what he's getting. It's a huge upgrade from the typical MII front and leaf spring rear. But it all depends on what one wants their truck to be, and what's important to them. I'm not saying it's not a lot of money, but personally, for what's involved, I think it's a bargain.

I have spoken to the team at TCI and seem to like what they offer in the custom 1-piece crossmember suspension (not the MII suspension they offer). It has coil overs and the ability to give me the ride height that I desire (they sent pictures and an article of a truck with the full suspension) . I can also get the rake I want with a 4 link rear and coil overs (at least that is what TCI is telling me). This all sounds great, but it is still pricey, even with the sale (all components front and rear just south of $4000).

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My bad, I didn't read it well. That does sound like a good price for all four corners and and upgraded front end.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input guys. I have had further discussions with a rep from TCI. He really seems to know his stuff and spent about a half hour on the phone with me as I asked general questions. I think that I am comfortable with TCI and may be pulling out the CC within the week.

It is a tough decision because it is a lot of $. I know it won't me a sports car (that is what my Monster Miata and Supercharged Fox Body are for ) but I do want it to drive straight and be able to get the proper ride height.

I would like to say that I will update on the build, but this stuff may just remain in the garage until next winter so I can drive the truck a little more this summer and just toy with other things.

I must admit, this F1 has become fun and I am looking forward to the personality when I build and complete.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Kevin,
BTW, that is an awesome build thread. I will need to visit it again.

For the question on why not a MII IFS: Originally, that is what I was planning. After looking at the IFS's I am more comfortable with the 1-piece crossmember of the custom IFS compared to the MII. That is why I am comparing the CE, Heidt's superide and the TCI. Currently, the custom IFS and the MII cost disparity is only about $200 if I go with coil overs on each. There is still a part of me that thinks about the MII.

As for the rear, originally I was going to go with new springs with axle over (Explorer is perfect for that). Then I looked at cost difference between 4-link and new springs. With coil overs, I am about $300 more than springs and I love the adjustability.

Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
Any updates on this old thread? I was thinking of going the TCI Custom IFS route as well.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
I just installed TCI custom IFS and TCI 4 link rear suspension with coil overs in my wife's 52. See my build thread for some in depth info on what it takes to make it fit. I am very happy with the result and the ride height. Truck is no finished yet so don't know about the ride.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ld-thread.html

Old 03-03-2015, 07:16 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
I bought a complete TCI setup:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...beautiful.html

I'm just about at the stage of making sure everything fits - I have the engine, clutch, and transmission, I just haven't assembled them and made sure everything fits. Assuming it doesn't, I can take it back to TCI and they will adjust it all free of charge (I guess technically not free, the up-front costs were quite high).

Assuming it does fit, I will start the assembly process!