1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Why do I keep running out of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by chcknugget
Have you found the problem yet? I'm having dual tank problems similar to yours. I also think my is system is returning fuel to the wrong tank! I don't mean to hijack the thread but I noticed the fuel pump has three lines. One obviously is the metal feed for the carburetor, but where do the other two rubber lines go?
You really do need to start your own thread because we need a lot of info before we can really say. What year? What engine? Carb or EFI? So why not start a thread of your own and we'll work your issue as well?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 PM
86'F-150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't solved the problem yet. I found a single tank fuel reservoir today and I had plans to install it this weekend. It sounds like I need to drop the tank though from what everyone is saying, and get a look at the pickup tube. I'm not too thrilled about that with a completely full tank. Any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I don't think you will have to truly drop the tank. All the trucks I've had used a long piece of all-thread to cinch the tank straps up, and I've been able to back those way off and get the sender out w/o fully dropping the tank. However, if you have skid plates you have to remove them, and if this is the rear tank and you have a skid plate, that's what holds the tank up.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 PM
86'F-150
Junior User
It's the front tank, and I don't have skid plates which sounds like a good thing in this case. I'll try to get under it tomorrow or Saturday and see if I can get a look at things without taking the tank all the way down. Thanks for the heads up, Gary. I just wonder how easy it's going to be to back the strap off when the tank is completely full. Can I put a jack under the tank to support it while I loosen everything, and then lower the jack to get a look at the sending unit?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, but put a piece of plywood between the jack and the tank to spread the weight. However, I didn't have to do that. I just backed one strap off some, went to the other one, and kept loosening until I could get in there.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Just empty the tank....

Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 AM
86'F-150
Junior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Just empty the tank....
That's not very helpful...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM
86'F-150
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Yes, but put a piece of plywood between the jack and the tank to spread the weight. However, I didn't have to do that. I just backed one strap off some, went to the other one, and kept loosening until I could get in there.
Thanks, Gary. I'm going to take a look today and I'll post what I find.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
By the way, our kids are in the Berryhill part of N'ville. How far are you from that?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM
86'F-150
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
By the way, our kids are in the Berryhill part of N'ville. How far are you from that?
10 minutes at the most. I'm in Sylvan Park which is a few miles northwest of Berry Hill.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by 86'F-150
That's not very helpful...
But isn't it the obvious?

Gasoline weighs ~6 lbs. per gallon; if you've got a full tank, that's around 100 pounds and I don't know why you'd want to deal with that, especially considering that you might also be interested in what may be inside the tank at the bottom.

Get some 5 gallon gas cans or other suitable containers and siphon it out with a hose, seems the only sane and safe way of doing it.

If you don't like my suggestions, then feel free to ignore me....

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM
86'F-150
Junior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
But isn't it the obvious?

Gasoline weighs ~6 lbs. per gallon; if you've got a full tank, that's around 100 pounds and I don't know why you'd want to deal with that, especially considering that you might also be interested in what may be inside the tank at the bottom.

Get some 5 gallon gas cans or other suitable containers and siphon it out with a hose, seems the only sane and safe way of doing it.

If you don't like my suggestions, then feel free to ignore me....
It is absolutely the most obvious solution. 100%. But as someone who knows very little about the fuel system on a car (that's me) and has never siphoned a thing in his life (me again), the suggestion to simply 'empty the tank' leaves me wondering, 'Well how the heck am I supposed to do that?' I'm all for suggestions. I'm honestly here because I'm trying to learn and this board seemed to have the most f-150 educated and articulate member base of all the boards I kicked around in before registering, so please--suggest away. I'm sorry to be so 'needy,' but I need more information about a procedure before I can attempt it because sometimes I just have no clue.

In any event, I think I will try to siphon some of the fuel before I try to lower the tank. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
ctubutis
No problem on being needy so no need to apologize, many guys here are in the same situation.

It's hard to know what another may know about how to do [whatever] and many people don't want to appear to be condescending and belittling and therefore won't necessarily give details about how to do [whatever].

Ask Google how to start a siphon, it looks like there are even YouTube videos on it.

Basically, put the tube in the container you want to empty (inserting all the way to the bottom or as fully as possible) and blow into it for a breath or two, this helps remove the fluid vapors and replace them with exhaled carbon dioxide.

The other end of the tube needs to ultimately be lower than the first end.

It's best if this is a clear tube so you can see inside of it.

Put the free end into your mouth and suck up the fluid until the level in the tube is lower than the end of the source tube, then quickly remove it from your mouth and put it into the receiving container. Gravity will take it from there.

There are various other ways of starting one, too.

Practice with water! You don't want to swallow gasoline, it's not really good for your insides....

Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, siphoning gas by mouth is a pretty dumb thing to do. More than a few people inhale gas trying this and a lung or two full of gas is a bad way to start the day.

Many parts stores and home centers have siphon pumps that work very well, aren't expensive and won't end up with a trip to the ER or worse...

One of the better ones as long as it fits in the hole
Amazon.com: Super Siphon w/ 6' Siphon Hose: Sports & Outdoors

Another one
Amazon Amazon

Not as good but it should work once or twice...

Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I never put my mouth on the hose as just the fumes are horrible!!! Once the tube is inserted [like Chris described], take a "turkey baster / squeeze bulb" and squeeze it and then insert it in the tube opening with the hose lower than the level of liquid [gasoline] to be removed. Release your grip on the bulb so it will expand. As it expands, it will suck the gasoline further along the hose and the gasoline will begin to flow into the desired storage container.

To stop the flow, simply lift the hose higher than the standing level of the remaining gasoline. By the way, never use the baster for food again!

Be extremely careful while handling gasoline. You need excellent ventilation and make absolutely certain that there are NO SOURCES OF IGNITION!!! Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and travel outwards in all directions. Can you say, "BOOM"???

I see that I am too slow... the preceeding information from f100beatertruck is also good.

Last edited by 1986F150six; 01-18-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Slow at the trigger...

Quick Reply: Why do I keep running out of gas?