Sponsored by: Moser

1979 ford 460 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Feardeere7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 ford 460 mpg

I am currently looking at a '79 ford f-150 4x4 with a 460 and auto trans. I plan to fix it up for a daily driver and will use it to tow with every now and then. I know this practically impossible but I want to be able to get 13-15 mpg. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on accomplishing this fantasy. I am willing to do pretty much anything to get the mpg out if it. If you can please include part names and brand preferences. Also any tips or advice.

Thanks,

Hunter

Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
13 to 15 mpg? You're looking at an EFI conversion (Atomic, Fast EZ-EFI, E-Street, or Powerjection III), improved exhaust, re-gearing, and an overdrive transmission... either a ZF5 manual or a 4R70W automatic.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Feardeere7
Senior User
How hard would it be to swap the auto with a ZF5 manual? What gears would u recommend? I've heard good things about the 4:10s. Also what is your definition of an improved exhaust?

Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
lbcarguy
Junior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MPG thoughts

I have a 77 F250 with a 460 and have been where you have been. If you truly want to drive it every day and are not in CA like I am, I would do a swap with a more modern drivetrain. I think, if you could find one and the price was affordable for you, an ECO Boost from a current F150 would make a great daily driver and I and many others would be totally blown away at that conversion.

Do the math on any type of conversion: 460 with an add on EFI conversion (include time for a lot of adjusting or accepting some minor driveability issues, though prob no worse than the 4350 carb). A later Ford EFI 460 with 4 speed OD trans. A later 351W EFI with OD trans.

Factor in the cost of any fabricating, drive line changes, exhaust work, etc, etc. Look at your annual mileage and see how long it would take you to recoup the costs vs just driving it with the 460 at about 9-10 MPG.

If you spend 10K to do an engine/trans/drivetrain swap, how many miles do you have to drive to break even on the expense.

If I could ever get my hands on an Eco Boost driveline someday below $5K, I would do it, though I would need to keep it smog legal here in CA.

On the cheaper side, there are ways to improve the performance of the 460 without hurting fuel mileage. I rebuilt mine with a sealed power piston with a very shallow dish to increase compression, installed a very mild RV cam and put the cam/crank timing back to 0 degrees with an after market timing chain/gear kit. My mileage is still around 10 but the engine runs cooler, still on reg gas and has increased torque compared to stock.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
saw this in fte live,then lost it.had to find ya.anyway,check this option out.affordable.
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I pulled my 400 with intake carb and headers and dropped in my bone stock NA 7.3 and had equal or better power and almost trippled my mileage. - '79 F-350 Custom
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...non-turbo.html

Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
13 to 15 mpg? You're looking at an EFI conversion (Atomic, Fast EZ-EFI, E-Street, or Powerjection III), improved exhaust, re-gearing, and an overdrive transmission... either a ZF5 manual or a 4R70W automatic.

Welcome to FTE.
Lot of money there that would pay for a lot of fuel.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
True dat!
But when it comes right down to it, if mileage was all we were after we'd buy one o' those damn Prius' or C-max or, or, or.
Gotta play

Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Sure but the OP stated "I am willing to do pretty much anything to get the mpg out if it." so that's his decision. If we were strictly focusing on payback or ROI then none of us would probably be spending money on these rigs.

Btw, I recently ordered an Edelbrock E-Street EFI kit for my 73. Why? ...Why not!

To the OP, "improved exhaust" means long-tube headers, 2.25 to 2.5inch mandrel bent tubing, and free flowing mufflers. There is too much subjectivity on brands and sound quality so you've got some homework to do.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Btw, I recently ordered an Edelbrock E-Street EFI kit for my 73. Why? ...Why not!
Hah, that cracks me up. No sooner did I finish a text to my engine builder about that very subject, you posted that.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by turbohunter
True dat!
But when it comes right down to it, if mileage was all we were after we'd buy one o' those damn Prius' or C-max or, or, or.
Gotta play
You can shoot me if I ever own a hybrid. ... I don't even like driving or being seen in the office's Honda Civic hybrid.

The hard hats look at me weird when I pull up into construction sites with my 73... I dunno - maybe some flashback to 'Nam?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can shoot me if I ever own a hybrid. ... I don't even like driving or being seen in the office's Honda Civic hybrid.

The hard hats look at me weird when I pull up into construction sites with my 73... I dunno - maybe some flashback to 'Nam?

I know what you mean, if your not in your dentside, you kinda feel like a turd in a fish bowl.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Feardeere7
Senior User
An ECO boost in a '79 would be a very interesting converson. HIO Silver, yeah that's pretty much my idea of an improved exauast. I know what you guys mean bout a turd in a fish bowl. This is gonna be my first truck so of corse you gotta have the biggest and badest. That's why I'm willin to do so much to the rig.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hell, dont get me wrong I am all for doing upgrades. I guess i was looking at it from a point that no matter how much we do to improve MPG, these trucks just wont give much back for savings compared to the cost of trying to achieve a higher MPG. Would i want an EFI system and overdrive....hell ya, but not from the point of view of saving a bunch of fuel with a 460. But all the suggestive upgrades are good ideas. I would go 2.5" exhaust and i would consider a gearvendors OD unit if going with automatic.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Feardeere7
Senior User
Yeah that's a good way to look at it. 2.5 was what I was thinking and I'm gonna run true duals.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Hell, dont get me wrong
Not at all, just makin' conversation.

I guess i was looking at it from a point that no matter how much we do to improve MPG, these trucks just wont give much back for savings compared to the cost of trying to achieve a higher MPG. Would i want an EFI system and overdrive....hell ya, but not from the point of view of saving a bunch of fuel with a 460.
Roger that.
And to further support your point. I was talking to the guy that'll be doing my engine work about EFI and the cost involved (now) vs fuel saved (future). Let me put it this way, a carb looks pretty good.
And like you say, do I want it, yeah it would be cool, but I prolly won't do it for a couple reasons.
One is the up front cost involved. The second is (for me) the simplicity of a MECHANICAL device vs the complexity of a computer driven device.
Does the computer device work more efficiently? Probably so (depending on the tuner). But the simple beauty of a carb that I can pull apart and fix on the trail is very attractive in my old fart world. But that's just my limited brain that hurts when to many 0's and 1's get involved.
To guys with smarts (HIO) it's prolly a no brainer.

Quick Reply: 1979 ford 460 mpg