Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Senior User

Feardeere7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1979 ford 460 mpg

I am currently looking at a '79 ford f-150 4x4 with a 460 and auto trans. I plan to fix it up for a daily driver and will use it to tow with every now and then. I know this practically impossible but I want to be able to get 13-15 mpg. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on accomplishing this fantasy. I am willing to do pretty much anything to get the mpg out if it. If you can please include part names and brand preferences. Also any tips or advice.

Thanks,

Hunter
Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to behold
13 to 15 mpg? You're looking at an EFI conversion (Atomic, Fast EZ-EFI, E-Street, or Powerjection III), improved exhaust, re-gearing, and an overdrive transmission... either a ZF5 manual or a 4R70W automatic.

Welcome to FTE.
73 F100 SB, 4x4, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s, 71 F250 LB, 2wd, 360FE, T-18, 70 F100 LB, 2wd, 360FE-EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles, 01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4, 5.4L, 01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD), 71 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible, 68 Mustang 200-1v, 65 Mustang 289-4v
Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior User

How hard would it be to swap the auto with a ZF5 manual? What gears would u recommend? I've heard good things about the 4:10s. Also what is your definition of an improved exhaust?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Junior User

lbcarguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
MPG thoughts

I have a 77 F250 with a 460 and have been where you have been. If you truly want to drive it every day and are not in CA like I am, I would do a swap with a more modern drivetrain. I think, if you could find one and the price was affordable for you, an ECO Boost from a current F150 would make a great daily driver and I and many others would be totally blown away at that conversion.

Do the math on any type of conversion: 460 with an add on EFI conversion (include time for a lot of adjusting or accepting some minor driveability issues, though prob no worse than the 4350 carb). A later Ford EFI 460 with 4 speed OD trans. A later 351W EFI with OD trans.

Factor in the cost of any fabricating, drive line changes, exhaust work, etc, etc. Look at your annual mileage and see how long it would take you to recoup the costs vs just driving it with the 460 at about 9-10 MPG.

If you spend 10K to do an engine/trans/drivetrain swap, how many miles do you have to drive to break even on the expense.

If I could ever get my hands on an Eco Boost driveline someday below $5K, I would do it, though I would need to keep it smog legal here in CA.

On the cheaper side, there are ways to improve the performance of the 460 without hurting fuel mileage. I rebuilt mine with a sealed power piston with a very shallow dish to increase compression, installed a very mild RV cam and put the cam/crank timing back to 0 degrees with an after market timing chain/gear kit. My mileage is still around 10 but the engine runs cooler, still on reg gas and has increased torque compared to stock.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
saw this in fte live,then lost it.had to find ya.anyway,check this option out.affordable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle View Post
I pulled my 400 with intake carb and headers and dropped in my bone stock NA 7.3 and had equal or better power and almost trippled my mileage. - '79 F-350 Custom
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...non-turbo.html
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Post when I get chance

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
13 to 15 mpg? You're looking at an EFI conversion (Atomic, Fast EZ-EFI, E-Street, or Powerjection III), improved exhaust, re-gearing, and an overdrive transmission... either a ZF5 manual or a 4R70W automatic.

Welcome to FTE.
Lot of money there that would pay for a lot of fuel.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks77ford View Post
True dat!
But when it comes right down to it, if mileage was all we were after we'd buy one o' those damn Prius' or C-max or, or, or.
Gotta play

'08 Super Duty 6.4, '61 Unibody, '63 T-bird, '66 Mustang
'76 F750 Firetruck, '83 F150, '74 F-1004x4 shrtbx
And not enough time to drive 'em.
Marc
Be like Steve
Old 01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Sure but the OP stated "I am willing to do pretty much anything to get the mpg out if it." so that's his decision. If we were strictly focusing on payback or ROI then none of us would probably be spending money on these rigs.

Btw, I recently ordered an Edelbrock E-Street EFI kit for my 73. Why? ...Why not!

To the OP, "improved exhaust" means long-tube headers, 2.25 to 2.5inch mandrel bent tubing, and free flowing mufflers. There is too much subjectivity on brands and sound quality so you've got some homework to do.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Btw, I recently ordered an Edelbrock E-Street EFI kit for my 73. Why? ...Why not!
Hah, that cracks me up. No sooner did I finish a text to my engine builder about that very subject, you posted that.

Marc
Be like Steve
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohunter View Post
True dat!
But when it comes right down to it, if mileage was all we were after we'd buy one o' those damn Prius' or C-max or, or, or.
Gotta play
You can shoot me if I ever own a hybrid. ... I don't even like driving or being seen in the office's Honda Civic hybrid.

The hard hats look at me weird when I pull up into construction sites with my 73... I dunno - maybe some flashback to 'Nam?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Posting Guru

Tees77f150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
You can shoot me if I ever own a hybrid. ... I don't even like driving or being seen in the office's Honda Civic hybrid.

The hard hats look at me weird when I pull up into construction sites with my 73... I dunno - maybe some flashback to 'Nam?

I know what you mean, if your not in your dentside, you kinda feel like a turd in a fish bowl.
300 I6, C4, Copper Metallic, built 3/77 Michigan plant.
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...ine/truck5.jpg
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Senior User

An ECO boost in a '79 would be a very interesting converson. HIO Silver, yeah that's pretty much my idea of an improved exauast. I know what you guys mean bout a turd in a fish bowl. This is gonna be my first truck so of corse you gotta have the biggest and badest. That's why I'm willin to do so much to the rig.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Post when I get chance

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hell, dont get me wrong I am all for doing upgrades. I guess i was looking at it from a point that no matter how much we do to improve MPG, these trucks just wont give much back for savings compared to the cost of trying to achieve a higher MPG. Would i want an EFI system and overdrive....hell ya, but not from the point of view of saving a bunch of fuel with a 460. But all the suggestive upgrades are good ideas. I would go 2.5" exhaust and i would consider a gearvendors OD unit if going with automatic.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Senior User

Yeah that's a good way to look at it. 2.5 was what I was thinking and I'm gonna run true duals.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Hell, dont get me wrong
Not at all, just makin' conversation.

Quote:
I guess i was looking at it from a point that no matter how much we do to improve MPG, these trucks just wont give much back for savings compared to the cost of trying to achieve a higher MPG. Would i want an EFI system and overdrive....hell ya, but not from the point of view of saving a bunch of fuel with a 460.
Roger that.
And to further support your point. I was talking to the guy that'll be doing my engine work about EFI and the cost involved (now) vs fuel saved (future). Let me put it this way, a carb looks pretty good.
And like you say, do I want it, yeah it would be cool, but I prolly won't do it for a couple reasons.
One is the up front cost involved. The second is (for me) the simplicity of a MECHANICAL device vs the complexity of a computer driven device.
Does the computer device work more efficiently? Probably so (depending on the tuner). But the simple beauty of a carb that I can pull apart and fix on the trail is very attractive in my old fart world. But that's just my limited brain that hurts when to many 0's and 1's get involved.
To guys with smarts (HIO) it's prolly a no brainer.

Marc
Be like Steve
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM