Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
New User

traderssd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Center my steering wheel/adjust tie rods

Portland, Oregon

Hi Guys,

I have a stock '91 F150 2WD that's a real cream puff. It's in perfect shape and drives fantastic. I just recently put new tires on it and with that also had an alignment done. Like I said, it truly drives great except the steering wheel is slightly off-center. Most people probably wouldn't bother with it but for me, it very annoying and drives me crazy. It's only off one or two degrees........not a lot. Does anyone know the proper proceedure for adjusting the tie rod ends/sleeves to center the steering wheel without changing the tow-in on the alignment? I know it's a matter of turning the tie-rod adjusting sleeves but which ones and in which direction?

Sure would appreciate some help on this because I really don't want to take it back to the alignment shop as it's a huge hassle.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Stuart D.
Portland, Oregon
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Posting Guru

88n94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i can try to tell you how to do it, but there would be no guarantee that the toe adjustment would still be right on when you're done.

Let's say your steering wheel is turned to the right when you are going straight down the road. Turn the steering wheel straight ahead. Your tires will be headed left. So you will need to turn the turnbuckle to shorten the tie rod on the drivers side to get that wheel going straight ahead. You will need to turn the turnbuckle on the passenger side to lengthen the tie rod. You get the idea.

You can mark the turnbuckles before you start and count the number of turns you move them, but as I mentioned earlier I still kind of doubt if the toe adjustment would be right on.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
New User

merhlin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Take it back to where you got the alignment done - they should take care of it. I wouldn't mess with it after just having the front aligned.

merhlin

1995 F150 XLT 4x4 5.0 MAF 4R70W, 3.31 non-LS
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Shiftoholic

Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.
Leave the wheels straight, the steering wheel will be cocked. Leave key in ignition so it's unlocked and will turn.

Loosen RH tie rod and give it one full turn. Go to LF side and give it one full turn the opposite direction. This will keep toe in correct and will move the steering wheel back. Just need to know which way it is off, so you turn them nuts the right way. Leaving the steering wheel loose will allow it to move and show you that you are turning things the right direction.

What happened was the alignment shop only turned ONE side when they corrected the toe in and didn't reconfirm the wheel is centered(like a good shop would). Not a big deal, easily fixed without hurting anything.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Posting Guru

DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merhlin View Post
Take it back to where you got the alignment done - they should take care of it. I wouldn't mess with it after just having the front aligned.

merhlin
This. When I've had my alignments done, I've always taken it to places with a 30 day guarantee so that things like this are a no question fix by the shop.

1995 F-250 - Vortech 460, E40D - 4x4 3.55, Single Cab, Long Box
DIYiT's F-250 Build Thread
--Dana 60 Swap --Vortech Install
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
New User

Splash_O_Yellow is starting off with a positive reputation.
or you could pull the steering wheel, move it like one spline or two and reinstall the nut to hol it on. that old of a truck and you wont have to deal with an airbag or the chance of it going off. just my $.02
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
If you don't want to take it back, do like suggested, if the wheel is off to the right, lengthen the left and shorten the right, but 1/4 turn will probably be enough. The right outer tie rod has right hand threads and the left outer has LH threads.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM
New User

Center my steering wheel

Hi guys and thank you for the advise.

Not to be dumb but if my steering wheel is off to the left, know I need to lengthen the tie rod on the drivers side and shorten the tie rod on the passengers side correct? So which direction do I turn the tie rod adjusters to do this?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderssd View Post
Hi guys and thank you for the advise.

Not to be dumb but if my steering wheel is off to the left, know I need to lengthen the tie rod on the drivers side and shorten the tie rod on the passengers side correct? So which direction do I turn the tie rod adjusters to do this?
Yes, that is correct. Like I said, the left outer tie rod has left hand threads, so to lengthen it you would turn the adjusting sleeve clockwise on the outer.
The right outer has right hand threads, so to shorten it you need to turn the sleeve clockwise on the outer tie rod. Move them both the same amount, about 1/4 turn should do it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
New User

ok.......got it! Thank you so much!

Stuart D.
Portland, Oregon
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
The ONLY tie rod you touch to center the wheel is the Upper one. Where it connects to the pitman arm(steering box)

You loosen the collar bolts that connects the tie rod to the drag link then spin the collar.

If the wheel is off to the left, you spin the collar to SHORTEN the linkage.
If the wheel is off to the right, you spin the collar to LENGTHEN the linkage.
Then tighten the collar bolts and test drive. Keep adjusting in small increments till you get the wheel where you want it

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT touch the outer tie rods out by the tires, this will just throw off your toe, that you just has set
04 Ranger SCSB
96 Bronco 302 5speed, 6" and 35s
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
The ONLY tie rod you touch to center the wheel is the Upper one. Where it connects to the pitman arm(steering box)

You loosen the collar bolts that connects the tie rod to the drag link then spin the collar.

If the wheel is off to the left, you spin the collar to SHORTEN the linkage.
If the wheel is off to the right, you spin the collar to LENGTHEN the linkage.
Then tighten the collar bolts and test drive. Keep adjusting in small increments till you get the wheel where you want it

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT touch the outer tie rods out by the tires, this will just throw off your toe, that you just has set
Brad, I think you are confusing with the F350's steering linkage, He has a F150.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Shiftoholic

Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.
These trucks only have two adjustments. The drag link goes all the way to RH side. The left side comes off the middle of drag link. You MUST adjust BOTH or you WILL screw up the toe in setting.

Here is a picture showing it. (it's 4wd, but same basic parts)
Click the image to open in full size.

Newer trucks have a different arrangement, that allows it: (straight axle, but see the adjuster on the drag link)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
I forgot how stupid for d was with the TTB and TIB
04 Ranger SCSB
96 Bronco 302 5speed, 6" and 35s
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Shiftoholic

It's okay. We'll give you a pass today LOL!!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks