Crank No Start Emty HPOP Resivoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM
DRuzicka
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank No Start Emty HPOP Resivoir

Help!!!!

My 01 7.3 198K cranks no start. Ran fine last Fri, would not Sat has not since.

Had a Wicked squirting fuel filter leak 2 weeks ago, new filter same leak, cranked the top down no leaks,Not sure if that is connected?Soaked engine compartment with fuel.

Then last Sat crank no start. . New Batts, new oil filter, unhooked sensors one by one to check, nothing. Little white smoke in engine compartment after a 10 second crank or so. Can hear glow plug relay click. Thought I ran it out of Fuel Friday put in 3 gals and too much kleen boost cetane booster (would that hurt it?) Plenty of fuel in the bowl. Plenty of oil.

HPOP was empty filled it, still no start.

Start light comes on then beeps off perfect. broker than you could imagine and can't aford the tow let alone the repair bill.
Also has for the last year or so run kind of weak/restricted feeling for a 3 to 5 miles, punch it and it clears up link a filter clearing. Any ideas would greatly help.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Might have to fill the HPOP reservoir a couple times and crank for awhile after filling. Check your oil level and fill it as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DRuzicka
HPOP was empty filled it, still no start.
Is it still full or did it empty itself again?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM
DRuzicka
New User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Might have to fill the HPOP reservoir a couple times and crank for awhile after filling. Check your oil level and fill it as well.

Will try it. What causes the emptying of HPOP?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
twg1966
Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have oil in your fuel filter? Is there oil in the valley? Is the tin nut still on the IPR? Is the IPR oily on the exterior of the HPOP?

Oil fuel filter would indicate injector o-ring issues. Oil in the valley could be leaking oil lines from HPOP or the IPR. Other than that I am unsure.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DRuzicka
Will try it. What causes the emptying of HPOP?

Low oil in the oil pan, bad low pressure oil pump. Might be other possible causes but those are the two main ones.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Low oil in the oil pan, bad low pressure oil pump. Might be other possible causes but those are the two main ones.
I have heard that the stand pipe in the HPOP broke (cracked?) on someones truck and on someone elses the lower gasket failed allowing oil to drain back to the low pressure side...but these must be rather rare occurrences.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I think I know this one... it's a "horse, not a zebra".

You say you changed the oil. Did you fill the oil filter? How long have you cranked above the 10 seconds you mentioned? You have at least a whole bunch of air in your oil lines and it's going to take some cranking to start it, then it's going to take some idling before is runs worthy of driving, then it will take about an hour on the road to clear the hiccups, then it will take parking overnight for the foam to settle out and run like it never happened. OR... crank it until it runs and drive the bajeezeus out of it until the foam gets worked out. Either way, if you didn't fill the oil filter, it takes some patience to work all the air out.

Oh... and check your oil level because it just dropped two quarts.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
I think I know this one... it's a "horse, not a zebra".

You say you changed the oil. Did you fill the oil filter? How long have you cranked above the 10 seconds you mentioned? You have at least a whole bunch of air in your oil lines and it's going to take some cranking to start it, then it's going to take some idling before is runs worthy of driving, then it will take about an hour on the road to clear the hiccups, then it will take parking overnight for the foam to settle out and run like it never happened. OR... crank it until it runs and drive the bajeezeus out of it until the foam gets worked out. Either way, if you didn't fill the oil filter, it takes some patience to work all the air out.

Oh... and check your oil level because it just dropped two quarts.
I have never, repeat never ever ever filled my oil filter when doing an oil change. Truck fires right up just like it does every time. I can't see how a measly quart and a half or so in a 14 qt system would affect anything. IMO filling a oil filter is right up there with siphoning and changing HPOP oil.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
I have never, repeat never ever ever filled my oil filter when doing an oil change. Truck fires right up just like it does every time. I can't see how a measly quart and a half or so in a 14 qt system would affect anything. IMO filling a oil filter is right up there with siphoning and changing HPOP oil.
I 2nd this I only put maybe a 1/2 qt in just so I can get some oil on the o-ring and the threads

Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DRuzicka,

Is the truck on level ground?

Front end high and a crack in the oil pan pickup tube, or low oil volume in pan the LPOP can't supply oil, or enough oil, to fill the HPOP resevoir. Does the oil pressure gauge register while cranking. If not try to get the truck in a position with the front as low as possible and then see if the oil pressure gauge registers while cranking. .

Also heavy scoring in the front cover LPOP cavity will cause low pressure.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Boheefus
Senior User
Originally Posted by twg1966
Do you have oil in your fuel filter? Is there oil in the valley? Is the tin nut still on the IPR? Is the IPR oily on the exterior of the HPOP?

Oil fuel filter would indicate injector o-ring issues. Oil in the valley could be leaking oil lines from HPOP or the IPR. Other than that I am unsure.
Oil can also be leaking from the turbo or pedestal due to bad o-rings.

If the IPR is stuck open, it could allow the oil to drain back down into the engine. Kind of like a one way valve that gets something stuck in it.