1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Factory Frame Rivets verses Grade 8 Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Truckdog nailed that one. Rivets allow more flexing without putting as much stress on the surface of the metal. I believe grade 8 bolts are stronger but dont have the advantage of minimizing the stress on the metal. On the other hand, I would rather crawl under the truck and remove a 7/16" nut and bolt to change out a running board bracket than try to grind off the stock rivets.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
You might look at the Big Flats web site because it gives a short instruction page on during this. I did mess up the look of one of the rivets that I set, then came back and replaced it. It was just as hard to remove as the factory ones. So the spreading of the shaft seems to be the aspect that mostly holds things together. As for the stresses imposed by one method or the other, as I recall I read a number of technical threads on web sites like Practical Machinist and others that contained a lot of technical stuff describing the merits of rivets. I just jumped ahead to the bottom line.

Also, as I was thinking on this at dinner tonight, I recalled that Marmon-Herrington used grade 8 bolts themselves in their conversions. Because they had to spread the frame rails to get the transfer case cross members into the inner rails they cut out the rivets holding the third cross member on the F-2/3 models and replaced them with bolts. I've pulled three of these trucks apart and they've all had the same modification. Stu

Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
Regarding tightess of original rivets... a longtime member named George, with the FTE handle of "Earl" said the rivets are installed and peened while still red hot, and that is why they are a perfect fit.
Not sure that's true, in fact I really doubt it. There are a couple of movies on-line of the Ford and Chevy assembly lines back in the '30's. They show cold riveting. It may vary between cars, trucks, and big trucks, but I don't see any hot rivets. It would be impractical to keep the rivets a uniform temperature.

The first couple minutes of this one show a good assortment of what I mean:

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Awesome..............

Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must be something to it as the tall buildings in New York, during that period, were put together with hot rivits. chuck

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Hot rivets work great when the job location is moving. Cold rivets are cheaper and easier to install if you are doing a lot of riveting in a dedicated job location, like a station on an assembly line.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Wish I could get my hands on one of those old hanging riveters you see in that video!

I wonder if a gagebilt would work on these old frames.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Rivet squeeze tools aren't crazy expensive if you're doing a lot of them. Here are some:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...squeezers.html

Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Got the rivets and air tool from Big Flats. Made a backing plate out of 1/2" flat stock to hold the rivet heads in place with the shaft end coming through the holes, heated with the gas wrench until just before turning bright red, then put the air gun to it to form the outer heads. Took some practice to get the heads pretty, but not too bad.

What I've heard is that Ford set them cold with giant squeeze jaws as the frames moved down the line. Faster than heating each rivet. But on my transmission cross member, that had been removed and modified by Marmon-Herrington with a hoop to permit the front drive shaft to clear, the rivet heads looked exactly like the ones I was making.

Ross - I took your advice. As I was heating the repaired area I could hear the stresses being relieved. Thanks. Stu
I'm impressed and agree with your reasons why. But, if I were to do the same thing, I'd always be worried if I set every rivet well enough that it would never pop out. Thus, I'd have to throw in with the grade 8 crowd and bolt it together.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
Must be something to it as the tall buildings in New York, during that period, were put together with hot rivits. chuck
Just curious if that's the way they were/are put together in an earthquake zone like San Francisco?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I'm impressed and agree with your reasons why. But, if I were to do the same thing, I'd always be worried if I set every rivet well enough that it would never pop out. Thus, I'd have to throw in with the grade 8 crowd and bolt it together.
Turn that around; Do you want to be re-torquing crossmember bolts every 6 months to be sure they still have tension? I'm not sure Grade 8 bolts are the appropriate fastener to replace rivets; structural bolts are a different metallurgy and are torqued to a stretch. The nuts in particular are heavier. You don't want to ever have to go back to re-tighten the girder bolts on a skyscraper.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:29 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Then there is the argument that a hot rivet will shrink when it cools and will leave gaps
I've also been told that they used cold rivets in the cars/trucks
The search is on
I probably just remember incorrectly. George didn't usually make a statement he hadn't researched very thoroughly.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Then there is the argument that a hot rivet will shrink when it cools and will leave gaps
I've also been told that they used cold rivets in the cars/trucks
The search is on
I remember as a kid watching them build tall buildings in Pittsburgh and they would heat the rivets until red hot in a small kiln and then throw them to a man that would catch it with a funnel. He would then put the rivet in the hole and one man would hold the head and a man on the other side would peen it over with a large pneumatic hammer. I'm sure that is how most of the older buildings were made in this country. Now they use bolts with nuts.

Totally Stainless has these machine screws available at the bottom of page 114 of their catalogue:
UNSLOTTED TRUSS HEAD - COMMONLY USED TO REPLACE RIVETS

This has been a discussion here and on almost every other old vehicle forum. You can spend a lot of time reading but basically most come to the same conclusion that fatfenders noted previously: Grade 8 bolts that fill the holes are just fine for our applications.

I had to remove the rivets from the front spring pivot mount on the rear of my F-2 in order to get the pivot pins out. I found that the replacement grade 8 bolts did not quite fill the holes so I drilled them out exactly one size larger and used larger grade 8 bolts would fit perfectly with no slop. I didn't use stainless noted above just plated grade 8 hex head.

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Gotta respect a man who ain't afraid to share PICs of his Barbie jackstands with the world!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Or the spare tire replacement

Quick Reply: Factory Frame Rivets verses Grade 8 Bolts