6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My New 2012 F250 XLT 4X4 "Scorpion" 6.7 *Official Journal*

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New 2012 F250 XLT 4X4 "Scorpion" 6.7 *Official Journal*

I just got her on 1-5-2013 and now have about 338 miles.
I also got the 7 year warranty platinum care package with prepaid maintenance, they said all i need to worry about is gas,tires and headlamp bulbs? I didn't get that part but I will find out if a bulb goes out.
2012 F250 XLT Super Duty Power Stroke 6.7 Diesel Turbo 4X4
This is my first brand spanking new car and diesel vehicle so I have lots to learn.
I just filled up my first tank with about 1/3 left, 22 gallons but did not add any cetane booster, luckly this forum had great info about what fuels and additives to use. Since I live in California ULSD Diesel #2 is very common at the Chevron stations here and I read ULSD has some of it's lubricating properties stripped so using a cetane booster is recommended. I better go and get some from the dealer when they have my accessories ready for me to pick up. I will keep this thread updated with photos and my experiences with this truck. My first 2/3 tank of gas averaged me about 15.2 MPG. I did get on the turbo and drive about 75-80 on the freeway!
I will add Fuel/Maintenance and other logs here on the first post.

Fuel Log:
(Dealer filled first full tank at 37 Miles Brand new, 1-5-2013)
1-10-2013
Chevron #2 ULDS, 22.235 Gal. @ $4.199 = $93.36 Trip@337.1 miles 4oz PM-22-A
Total Miles 374.0

1-15-2013
Circle K #2 ULDS 17.60 Gal. $ $4.099 = $72.14 Trip@257.5
2oz PM-22-A
Total Miles 631.6

1-24-2013

76 ULDS #2 ULDS 31.64 Gal. $4.099 = $129.71 Trip@502.5
3oz PM-22-A
Total Miles 1133.9

1-29-2013
Cheveron #2 ULDS 23.88 Gal. $4.099 = $97.89Trip@394.9
2.5 oz PM-22-A
Total Miles 1528.9

Here are some photos of my new baby.

At the dealer after detail, it rained 15 minutes later!

Back shot

Day after with 160 miles on it!

Side Shot

Today looking at San Francisco from Treasure Island!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 AM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
A 250 with a long box, nice. I was originally looking for a 250 crew with a long box but couldn't find one close by and didn't want to order one.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 AM
RiverRatF-150
Junior User
This is my next truck! I want a 250 long bed diesel!!! Great looking truck.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Thanks Maistroyda & RiverRatF-150!
I didn't know they made a long bed crew cab, thought all the 4 doors were short beds, I totally wanted this SuperCab 8' Long Bed.
The only thing I didn't get was Tuxedo Black with non chrome bumpers since ordering the package I wanted would take to long and they had this one on the lot ready to go. I plan to wrap the sides, front grill/bumper and tailgate with rear bumper,2 layers of flat black vinyl to protect and change up the color scheme a little. Keep the top white to reflect the sun and keep things cooler in the cab.
It's 1:18 in the morning and I can't stop thinking of an excuse to go for a drive! Got a full tank ready to go but I'm sitting tight till the morning so I can drop by a Ford dealer to pick up some Cetane booster. I was also thinking of dropping by the Bio-Diesel station here in Oakland to add a gallon of Bio-fuel, I heard this also helps with keeping the motor lubricated better but tends to foul up faster so burning it off faster would be better. So many different things to learn about driving a turbo diesel but I am enjoying myself and have been reading tons of posts here.

So add on list is:
Seat Covers
Side window visors
Skid Plate
Engine idle shut down
Mud guards
Fender flares/wheels/tires for off road 4X4
Waiting for the shocks to die before replacing them with Bilstein 5100

I do want a cat-back exhaust and intake but I will have to ask if there will be any warranty issues.
What do you guys think about the Banks or AEM cold air intakes?
I will get the dual tip Magnaflow Black exhaust, that one looks nice.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 AM
RiverRatF-150
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
I didn't know they made a long bed crew cab, thought all the 4 doors were short beds, I totally wanted this SuperCab 8' Long Bed.
The only thing I didn't get was Tuxedo Black with non chrome bumpers since ordering the package I wanted would take to long and they had this one on the lot ready to go. I plan to wrap the sides, front grill/bumper and tailgate with rear bumper,2 layers of flat black vinyl to protect and change up the color scheme a little. Keep the top white to reflect the sun and keep things cooler in the cab.
It's 1:18 in the morning and I can't stop thinking of an excuse to go for a drive! Got a full tank ready to go but I'm sitting tight till the morning so I can drop by a Ford dealer to pick up some Cetane booster. I was also thinking of dropping by the Bio-Diesel station here in Oakland to add a gallon of Bio-fuel, I heard this also helps with keeping the motor lubricated better but tends to foul up faster so burning it off faster would be better. So many different things to learn about driving a turbo diesel but I am enjoying myself and have been reading tons of posts here.

So add on list is:
Seat Covers
Side window visors
Skid Plate
Engine idle shut down
Mud guards

I do want a cat-back exhaust and intake but I will have to ask if there will be any warranty issues.
A lot of the diesel guys have MBRP exhaust.

For your seat covers look up Wet okole! The are waterproof (wetsuit material) I have a set on my F150. Work great!. I have jumped in completely soaked and when I took the covers off to wash em the seats didnt have the dreaded water stains that the 04-08 F150's had.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,001 Likes on 2,198 Posts
That's a nice clean slate to work with! Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the truck!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So add on list is:
Seat Covers
Side window visors
Skid Plate
Engine idle shut down
Mud guards

DPF Back exhaust only or your warranty is gone!! I assume that is what you meant but just want to make sure. Don't want to void that ultra long warranty you bought. I'm off warranty now so I don't care anymore!!

CAI not really necessary on these trucks if you aren't going to open up the back end. Makes a lot of noise but won't change much else. JMO. With that warranty you will still enjoy good performance and fuel economy from a stock drivetrain.

Now just go ahead and mod the crap out of everything else!! Soon it will be wheels, tires, bull bars, etc. etc. etc. The list will get longer!! Have fun and congrats on the new purchase.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by RiverRatF-150
A lot of the diesel guys have MBRP exhaust.
For your seat covers look up Wet okole! The are waterproof (wetsuit material) I have a set on my F150. Work great!. I have jumped in completely soaked and when I took the covers off to wash em the seats didnt have the dreaded water stains that the 04-08 F150's had.
Thanks for the tips on the seat covers.
The MBRP looks good for the money, I especially like the one with down down turn tip for extra clearance. I would like the dual tip in black but I have time to decide since gas, payments & worries of voiding the warranty.

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
That's a nice clean slate to work with! Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the truck!!!
Thanks SavageNFS!

Originally Posted by WildWildWest
DPF Back exhaust only or your warranty is gone!! I assume that is what you meant but just want to make sure. Don't want to void that ultra long warranty you bought. I'm off warranty now so I don't care anymore!!
CAI not really necessary on these trucks if you aren't going to open up the back end. Makes a lot of noise but won't change much else. JMO. With that warranty you will still enjoy good performance and fuel economy from a stock drivetrain.
Now just go ahead and mod the crap out of everything else!! Soon it will be wheels, tires, bull bars, etc. etc. etc. The list will get longer!! Have fun and congrats on the new purchase.
Thanks for the tip, I guess days of the dealer not caring are gone, maybe just a K&N filter replacement but if the stock filters work well and stop more particulates I can probably stick with it. I do not mind more noise that's for sure considering my other car is a RX7 with open exhaust that shoots backfires
Do you think improving the cold air supply to the air intake will improve MPG?
I was thinking I could just get the OEM one powder-coated satin black, that may keep my warranty ok and keep me happy. It would be a crime for me to void that 7 yr warranty!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
The Ford OEM intake and filters on this engine are pretty good. You will not gain much by changing it out. And the Ford Filters are only $12. So they are inexpensive to change out every 15,000 miles.

ULSD and Cetane are two different issues. Cetane deals with the ability to combust easier ( Like Octane in gasoline) ULSD problem is Lubrication or lubricity. The is the ability of the fuel to lubricate moving parts in the fuel system. ie High Pressure Fuel Pump.

If you are going to bother buying and using an additive, you might at well address both issue. An additive that increases the Cetane, adds lubricity, and if you are in a cold area, anti-gel. I think your profile said California, So anti-gel is probably not a big issue. Ford sells their Motorcraft PM-22 additive. You can also buy Power Service Diesel Kleen at almost any truck stop, auto parts store, or Walmart. No studies on additives have been done since 2007, But Opti-Lube was one of the best performer in that test.

When ever my truck show less than 1/2 on the DEF gauge, I give it another week and then add a 2.5gallon jug of DEF. Again DEF is available at all truck stops, parts stores and walmart.

Your long bed has the 37 gallon fuel tank. So you are ahead of all those short beds with the 26 gallon tank. And the Long Beds absolutely come in Crewcab. Because I have one in Tuxedo Black

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Thanks for enlightening me more on this topic, Painted Horse,
I like the idea both Cetane + Lubrication at once.
I'll keep the stock filters since I have 7 years for free.
I just dropped by the Ford/Subaru Service center in Albany,CA, bought a bottle of PM-22-A then promptly added 4oz. to the full tank I filled yesterday. They brought me over 2 bottles of the same stuff but one looked darker then the other?! Is the darker one old?? I bought the lighter colored bottle.
You also said I have the 37 gallon tank, what dose of PM-22-A should I give it? 5-6 oz?

398.7 miles! Still falling in love.

Adding the Motorcraft PM-22-A Juice.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
I'm running the Opti-Lube, So I don't have a PM22 bottle around. Look at your bottle,.It should tell you how many gallons of fuel to an ounce of additive. Right on the top of your label it tells you how many gallons

I think it's 1/8 ounce per gallon of fuel, So about 5 ounces.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Right above the powerstroke label you see how much the bottle treats; 125 US GAL.
Do the math from there.
Easier to fill up at the same spot and add the same amount when you can.
For example, I usually let my truck get down to 1/4 remaining when I'm staying around town and then I refuel.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Alright, thanks again guys, I will probably end up making the 20oz. bottle into 4 - 5 doses for every fill up from 1/4 tank left.I doubt a little to much or less matters.
Once I get 4-5 empty bottles I can turn one bottle into single doses and keep them around in an organizer with other vital fluids for the car. I have been thinking about additional lubrication like Opti-lube, if the dealer I bought the car from says it's fine for warranty I may still sneak some in. I been making a list of things to ask them on my next visit.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

So add on list is:
Seat Covers
Side window visors
Skid Plate
Engine idle shut down
Mud guards

Bio diesel absorbs water a lot and that is the killer of high pressure fuel pump. Just use PM22. I regularly give it about a double dose.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
A little extra won't hurt.
I add 4 oz at 1/4th a tank simply because it's easy to follow the lines on the bottle.
If I refill at 1/4 for five tanks then the bottle lasted 100 miles since a bit below 1/4th will allow for 20 gal of fuel.

Quick Reply: My New 2012 F250 XLT 4X4 "Scorpion" 6.7 *Official Journal*